Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Change Suspension?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nohair
confused24.gif Hello- I am looking for the years of 911 front suspensions that can be bolted to the 914 front and is it really worth it to go the expense and work - can one just go to bigger brakes on the stock running gear and get the same brakeing power as the car is so light? Is the only thing you get with the 911 set up just bigger brakes and larger torh bars? I am new to the 914 thing although I have been reading about them for way too long!!!
any help would be great
thanks biggrin.gif
Nohair
PeeGreen 914
The biggest reason people do the 911 front is for the five lug, but the brakes, cross member and such help too. You can just use Porterfields or some type race pad to help it bite hard without change any of the hardware.

My front came off a '78. I know you can use '78 and '79. I am not sure all the years you can use though.
hwgunner
I think most people do the conversion for the wheels. Yes that gets you bigger T-bars and brakes but IMHO most people do not need these especially for the street. Best thing to do is to make sure that your current braking system is up to par and working correctly. You might just be amazed at how good it is. beerchug.gif

BTW 69 thru early 89 will bolt up to any 914.
BMXerror
You get plenty of braking power with the stock brakes, but they don't cool as well as the vented 911 brakes. I wouldn't want to road race on non-vented brakes. However, as already mentioned, the main reason to change is if you want to run five lung. This gives you the ability to run big 911 wheels and a lot of rubber on the ground. This is usually done with an increase in power, which is usually about the time for some added braking power as well. If you're running stockish power and not road racing it, you should be fine with 4 lug.
As I understand it, any 911 A-arms and struts from 66-89 will bolt right up, but the brakes vary. It'd be a safe bet to run the brake calipers and rotors from the type of car the struts came off of. It makes the conversion easier, if a slightly more expensive. Someone else who knows more may chime in. I haven't done my 5-lug conversion yet.
Mark D.
Cap'n Krusty
If you're running out of brakes, you're using them too much ............. The Cap'n
Joe Ricard
Word.

Get better pads and some ducting if you are doing lapping days.
You will run out of arms and brain power lapping a 914 all day before you run out of brakes.
Nohair
Thanks for the reply- I am trying to get the best set-up the 1st time I try to do this - but as always, it's a compromise somewhere
thanks again
Nohair
highways
I think a small and easy upgrade is replacing the 17mm torsion bar with 19mm. Really helps keep the car tight on the road.

I just rebuilt my stock front suspension with new boge shocks, new A-Arm bushings, new ball joints, new brakes, and new cross drilled rotors, repainted the struts and A-arms, new wheel bearings- it's all 4 lug and it works great. I think I spent about $800 to make it all new again- and that's just the front end.
Joe Ricard
You, have cross drilled rotors on a 4 lug?????
jd74914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Sep 19 2007, 04:32 PM) *

As long as he isn't racing (ie: huge heat cycling) they shouldn't crack. On the other hand, if you aren't racing there really is no need for such 'venting' mechanisms. smile.gif
highways
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Sep 19 2007, 01:32 PM) *

I haven't had a chance to use them yet because my shoe has lead in it and it's just a pain to lift it off the gas pedal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.