Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear sway bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David_S
My car is gonna be more of a daily driver/ weekend cruiser, and maybe the occasional autocross if I can find any that are close to me. I picked up a rear sway bar a while back, and it seems that I read that most autocrossers don't even have the rear swaybar hooked up. So, is a rear swaybar necessary on a mostly stock car? Would it be worth it to install it or should I find a new home for it, or is it mostly personal preference? Any advice appreciated !!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(David_S @ Sep 18 2007, 05:34 PM) *

My car is gonna be more of a daily driver/ weekend cruiser, and maybe the occasional autocross if I can find any that are close to me. I picked up a rear sway bar a while back, and it seems that I read that most autocrossers don't even have the rear swaybar hooked up. So, is a rear swaybar necessary on a mostly stock car? Would it be worth it to install it or should I find a new home for it, or is it mostly personal preference? Any advice appreciated !!!

Do not install a rear bar without a front on a 914-4 front 15mm rear 16 for the four cylinder. That will give a nice turn in for a stock daily driver.
PeeGreen 914
I find that the turn in is better without it. I would let it go if you have someone that wants it.
David_S
I do have a front bar, just have not installed it yet either !!
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(David_S @ Sep 18 2007, 05:42 PM) *

Install the front. Just sell the rear as you don't need it or want it.
ConeDodger
I like the rear swaybar feel. I agree with George, no front - no rear. Mine handles very nicely with both. I think it is more the road course guys who don't want the rear bar on... If you do a track day you just pop off one of the lever arms.
914werke
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Sep 18 2007, 05:47 PM) *

laugh.gif Jon I like you the more I read you, Your full of opinion's,
Just none of them are right! av-943.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Sep 18 2007, 06:04 PM) *

av-943.gif

Thanks Rich dry.gif

It may be because I have 200lb springs in the rear, but with the rear bar it pushes a lot. Without the rear it has a great turn-in. Like I said, it could be just because of my setup.

Yes, I know I have an opinion on everything, but if someone shows me the light when I am wrong I do admit my wrong headbang.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Sep 18 2007, 06:14 PM) *

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Sep 18 2007, 06:04 PM) *

av-943.gif

Thanks Rich dry.gif

It may be because I have 200lb springs in the rear, but with the rear bar it pushes a lot. Without the rear it has a great turn-in. Like I said, it could be just because of my setup.

Yes, I know I have an opinion on everything, but if someone shows me the light when I am wrong I do admit my wrong headbang.gif

i have 22mm tbars up front
1 1/8" tarett swaybar set 3/4 soft

225lb rear coils
stock rear bar

(i also have a staggered rim setup 7's and 8's under a narrowbody)
my car is point and shoot...... turn in rocks... throttle steers nicely

Just my opinion in MY setup. Deduce your own opinions smile.gif
Dave_Darling
Absolutely stock suspension: I prefer it with the rear bar. The difference with it disconnected was not really big, but there was one. I feel the car rotates a little better with it than without.

Modified suspension: Maybe. With my setup (19mm front bar, 140# rear springs) the rear bar is way overkill. With more spring rate up front, it could be a good idea. But you do have to start watching for that inside-rear wheel lift thing.

If I had a car with stock suspension without any sway bars, I'd just install the front. I think welding on the brackets for the rears is more of a pain than it's worth, especially if you can swap in some 100# rear springs.

--DD
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 18 2007, 09:44 PM) *
i have 22mm tbars up front
1 1/8" tarett swaybar set 3/4 soft

225lb rear coils
stock rear bar

(i also have a staggered rim setup 7's and 8's under a narrowbody)
my car is point and shoot...... turn in rocks... throttle steers nicely

Just my opinion in MY setup. Deduce your own opinions smile.gif

Sounds like we have the same set up with very minor differences. I love how my car is feeling on he AX course. Now just need a little more HP.
David_S
Good advice so far !! I forgot the welding part, and since I have already painted, it looks like I am not going to be welding ! I guess I should find this swaybar a new home and go with heavier rear springs !!
So.Cal.914

since I have already painted, it looks like I am not going to be welding ! I guess I should find this swaybar a new home and go with heavier rear springs !!

My Welt is bolted on, and I like it.
rhodyguy
install it and the front one and drive your car. disconnect the rear and drive it again then make the call. my car is primarily a road car/ dd and i prefer both. one of those items that once it's gone, it's gone. you'll be looking high and low to replace it. the welding required is minimal and you can touch up the welding flaws.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.