Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carbon fiber or other custom dash face?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914hog
I have removed my dash face steel pieces and intended to install some carbon fiber "decal" sheets to cover them. The decals look quite unacceptble, so they sit in my garage til I find a new method...I have seen real carbon fiber kits for dash face (and console) on 9XX.com, but a bit pricey for this do-it-yourselfer. Anybody have ideas for materials which were inexpensive and worked well for a custom install of dash face covers? I don't want to install the original materials (basketweave vinyl), and was looking for a custom, more modern look. Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks!

please email at aliasemail@optonline.net

-914hog
Eric_Shea
Look into doing the carbon fiber yourself. I don't think it's that difficult and the DIY status might bring it into your budget.
JmuRiz
914hog...I was running the idea through my head about a month ago also. I would have to go with the DIY meathod and not use the 9xx kit. If you buy/cut it yourself you can typically get 2-3 times the material and do other bits if you want. I think for most cases a saw-type x-acto would work nicely. Good luck. There is a thread on soundsystems where Stitch has a carbon dashpanel, you can PM him and find out what he did.

The thread...
drew365
Since you asked for any ideas here is a pic of my dash I did with stainless steel. It has a similar basketweave pattern. Took a while to cut but was a nice little project.
drew365
Here's a little closer view that may show the pattern.
boxstr
I set a dash gauge plate to carbon joe, along time ago, then he dropped off to someone knows where. He was going to make a carbon gauge panel. ??????
CCLINCARBONFIBER
Porsche Rescue
Here's carbon fiber on J. Fort's six. Craig Laughlin's idea. Material can be cut with scissors. Easy job.Sheet costs about $75 but is enough for 4 or more dashes. Find a few others who want to share a sheet.
drew365
I see JFort feels the same as me about the need for heat and stereo. Something like "we don't need no stinkin..."
I did keep the glove box. Got to have somewhere to keep the shades. cool.gif
Stitch
914 hog
I pick up a few yards of carbon fiber from a supplie house and I laid It out on a sheet of glass , coated it in resin I then cut my peices and glued them on . The hardest part was finding someone who would sell the cloth it to me.

J forts dash is nice along with drew365's stainless dash , not having any thing in the dash looks real nice. I would just have to find a place to hide the stereo.
machina
I get my resin and carbon cloth from US Composites. Good people there.

dr

http://www.shopmaninc.com/
Demick
You can buy carbon fiber cloth at Tap Plastics. Not sure of the weave selection or the price.

Demick
JmuRiz
TAP Carbon fabric

Looks like the epoxy impregnated sheet is $85. What do people think of this one...looks like one step...did the JFort dash have a 2-step process? Cut the sheet them apply the resin? This is all new to me, just wondering, thanks!
boxstr
The Jfort dash was cut from the $85. sheet of CF from TAP plastics. It is enough to make about 4-5 dash inserts, maybe more.
CCLINDASHINSERTSRUS
smrz914
I made mine out of black plastic for TAPs, it looks great and wasn't very hard to do. I built a center console to finish things off and used the same acrilic finish for the center console.

Yea I know it's worthless without pics...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.