Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Way to fast of an idle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
championgt1
Alright, my car has not been started in about a month and a half and I had to replace the battery. The car started right up but ran all the way up to 3500 and would not drop down, however I did not let it run that long because of the high idle.
Any ideas I have never had this problem before. What gives!! screwy.gif
john rogers
Hi idle is usually caused by vacuum leak(s). Check all the hoses if there are any, check the intake flanges at the heads, boot if it is Djet, etc.
drgchapman
Vacuum leak, somewhere..............
swl
dumb question but any chance the throttle is stuck?
championgt1
QUOTE(swl @ Sep 18 2007, 08:04 PM) *

dumb question but any chance the throttle is stuck?

The throttle cable is not stuck, but good thought. I will check all the vaccum lines. Thanks for the info. This is my first 914 and I learn something new everyday. biggrin.gif
drewvw

what about something going on with the PCV valve and hoses, that can jump up the idle pretty good.
Dave_Darling
3500 RPM is too high to just be a PCV valve problem. Also too high to just be advanced timing. You've almost certainly knocked a hose off--that will result in a leak that is about 3000 RPM.

--DD
championgt1
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 18 2007, 10:53 PM) *

3500 RPM is too high to just be a PCV valve problem. Also too high to just be advanced timing. You've almost certainly knocked a hose off--that will result in a leak that is about 3000 RPM.

--DD

So I finally got around to checking all the vacuum lines, intake flanges and the boot and it still idles at around 3500. Is there any lines that are not visible in the engine compartment? Also my friend said that he bumped the throttle return spring can this make a difference?
rhodyguy
where in t-town do you live?

k
PeeGreen 914
I know you said the throttle is not stuck, but did you look down where the accel and clutch line connect to the cluster? I have seen the accel cable slip un the clutch cable causing something similar.
championgt1
I did not look at where the clutch and throttle cable are together I will check that next. Rhodyguy, I live about 2 miles off Canon Rd. down 152nd.
PeeGreen 914
Have you figured it out yet?
championgt1
So I finally got around to checking the clutch and throttle cables and nothing seems to be wrong there. Not sure were to go from here, but I will do some more looking around.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.