Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blower in trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom
Blower in the front trunk will not run. Fuses are ok. Other things work in the dash, radio , horn, lights , wipers , etc. What could be the problem. Looked at the Haynes manual, seems like an easy removal per the manual. Looking at it in the car , seems a mite more difficult. Any suggestions for the blower check out and ,or, the control knobs? Looked at the control assembly and can't see how to remove it for testing.
Thanks,
Tom
alpha434
I pulled the blower out of rear of my car and it was seized. Badly seized. I couldn't turn it with a breaker bar.
Lavanaut
I happen to be at the tail end of my project to replace the heater controls in my '74 2.0. What a PITA. Had to pull the fuel tank, blower assembly, etc. As a noob, I felt like I was getting in over my head, but it's all come back together nicely. Not done yet, but close.

Anyway ~ the first thing I'd check is the plug that plugs into the back of the blower assembly. Get a flashlight and shine it on the rear part of the blower on the passenger side. There's a plug that fits into a receptacle on the blower, it's possible (though unlikely) that it has come unplugged. If that's not it, check the electrical connections on the control unit itself. There's are...four connections there if I recall correctly. You'll need to disconnect the control unit from the chassis to pull it out, which is a single 10mm nut on the underside of the control unit, attached to the body. If those connections look okay, your blower could need replacing, and if that's the case I feel for you. Like I said, Haynes lies...it's a pain. dry.gif

I have pics if you need 'em.

Good luck

edit: You'll only be able to pull the control unit out just far enough to check/test the connections. It can't be removed w/o disconnecting the belden cables in the front trunk, which requires pulling the fuel tank and blower assembly.
markb
Just a wild guess here, but I bet if you work the control lever back and forth a few dozen times, it'll clean out all the crud that's built up, and the blower will work again. Or you can pull out the ashtray and shine a light in on the contacts to see where to clean them off.
Tom
Thanks guys,
I will try the quick check by operating the comtrols several times.
The connection on the blower assy looks good, i was even able to get my fingers on it to check for tightness, good and tight.
Yes, LAVANUT, I was looking at the blower and could see no way to get it out without removing the gas tank. Going to try every thing else before doing that. Should do it anyway this winter, so, if the blower unit is bad, I will wait until later.
Lavanut- how close are you to camp 914? Got my 76 from him 2 years ago.
Tom
rhodyguy
tom, slide the ashtray out and you can see the fan power contacts on the top of the controls. clean them first. then tackle the fan housing. you may be able to try to test/power the fan with a outside power source to the power leads. pulling the fan housing is no fun.

k
Allan
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 19 2007, 06:15 AM) *

pulling the fan housing is no fun.
k

agree.gif

Try the easy stuff first...
toon1
after years of sitting, there is a ton of crud that buils up in the bottom of the blower box. It will lock up the motor and it wont turn.

I pulled mine and it was loaded w/crap in the box. I cleaned it up oiled it and it worked great!
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Tom @ Sep 18 2007, 11:44 PM) *

Lavanut- how close are you to camp 914? Got my 76 from him 2 years ago.

Just love it when people call me Lavanut! av-943.gif

I'm 3 hours from Camp 914. Was just up there for the first time recently picking up some Fuchs that I bought from Craig. Cool place man! Teeners and teener parts all over the place!
JmuRiz
OK, when's someone going to come up with a good after market blower assembly so we can ditch the old one and have a good reliable setup...front trunk and engine bay blowers?

Mine worked, then stopped working, not sure why, I cleaned all the crap out of the fan assembly, still no luck. I'd like to just scrap it and think up another idea....
ztbell
gint.gif
I am working on the same problem, connector on blower marked "1" is hot
the other 3 are not. will prob. have to pull the tank, wrap a pull start rope from my chainsaw to start it...
ztbell
gint.gif
run your tank as low as you can, siphon out the remainder pull thak frfom right side the gas line shoul be approx. 18". with this completed, disconnect te fuel level connection gas lines should come out easily... remove fresh air box and blower,
with that area open vaccum (shop vac) out all leaves and stuff reassembl is the reverse
ZB
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.