Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ebay item "heads" Thoughts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve Thacker
Hey all,
I was out browsing ebay and found these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2449610186

Are they worth messing with or do they only work on buses?
Mark Henry
"These are a pair of 914-4 2.0L rebuilt racing heads. I have the original receipt."

Bullshit...Standard VW van heads. They will work (1.8) but they have smaller valves, a step down in performance.
Aaron Cox
each cylinder is missing an exhaust stud....

why are they four stud intakes on a 2.0? bs.gif
Gint
The guy stated in the ebay that he had mistaken these as 2.0 914 heads and apologized.

On Dec-23-03 at 15:36:10 PST, seller added the following information:
I have found out that these are 2.0 bus heads from the number on the block. They are heavy duty because they are designed for hydralic lifters but can be placed on a 914 2.0 with a little modification.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Dec-23-03 at 15:43:05 PST, seller added the following information:
If there is any confusion to the winning bidder I will allow them to cancell their bid and give great feedback to their acct. This was my listing error and I appologize for any confusion.

Rusty
eBay stories like this give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Maybe the world isn't going to hell in a handbasket.

-Rusty cool.gif
Gint
Agreed. I tried to get the guy that had a local 914 to update his ebay ad. But he never did. Fortunately the car never made reserve anyway.
Eric_Shea
I heard 1.8 heads are better to "build". Any truth to that? I heard the 2.0's were more susceptible to the spark plug crack than the 1.8's. Don't the 1.8 heads have the larger valves to retain the HP when they added the new FI?

Not like I'm doing much with 4-bangers these days... just curious if what I heard was correct.
r_towle
It is my understanding that the VW 2.0 liter heads are the same as the 914 1,8 heads.

They would work fine on the right application...

If you re looking for real 2.0 liter heads, keep looking.
redshift
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 24 2003, 07:45 PM)
I heard 1.8 heads are better to "build".  Any truth to that?  I heard the 2.0's were more susceptible to the spark plug crack than the 1.8's.  Don't the 1.8 heads have the larger valves to retain the HP when they added the new FI?  

The plug angle on a 1.8 head allows higher compression than 2.0s.

Because...

On a 2.0, getting wild makes you have to take out a trough of metal, so there is a place for ignition to happen, and if they are CCd as a set of comparable 1.8s, you'll still find a big wet spot on the lower 1/4-1/3rd of the chamber where there will always be unspent fuel... not good.. really.

This just adds to the unstable nature of the 2.0 crack-heads.

The 1.8 has slightly larger valves than the 1.7 stock, and 1mm larger pistons, to retain the stock hp of the 1.7.

Yes, you can get bigger valves in a modded 1.8 than a 2.0, I have seen them look like they are touching, and those heads had valve seats that were pressed in at 1200 degrees, and the seats are TREMENDOUS.

M
Dave_Darling
The main thing is that the plugs in the 1.8 head seem to be in a more built-up section of the head with more material to support them. So they don't crack as easily. They also have more material in the short-radius side of the exhaust port so are less inclined to crack there.

The same is true of the 1.7 heads.

I have never heard of people having problems with the spark plug in a 2.0 engine interfering with the piston, Miles.

The Bus 2.0 heads have very small valves--as small as the 1.7 or maybe even smaller!! Not so great for performance...

If you are going to use stock heads, the 2.0 ones offer the best performance because of the ports and valve sizes and plug location. If you are going to modify the heads very slightly, the 2.0 ones still probably have the edge. In each case, the 1.8 914 heads (and the 1.8 heads from some but not all of the VW-badged cars that had 1.8s) are a good second choice as they have valves that are almost as big as 2.0 914 heads.

If you are going to extensively modify the heads, start with the cheapest ones you can find. Those are usually 1.7 heads.

--DD
redshift
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 25 2003, 06:29 PM)
I have never heard of people having problems with the spark plug in a 2.0 engine interfering with the piston, Miles.

--DD

I was just looking at a set last week that were deeply cc'd, and had been on a motor similar to what we are talking about. (high comp 1.8 vs 20)

The pistons are not interfering with the plugs, it's a lack of combustion because of the flame front not having a good place to happen.

The heads weren't machined for the plug angle difference, the pistons were made lumpy, with a valley for fire.

M
Steve Thacker
Thanks fellas, as always,... I learn something valuable being here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.