Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lightweight 4 lug wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blitZ
I'm looking for some lightweight 4 lug wheels to mount some sticky AX tires. Just some inexpensive (cheap) after market wheels would be fine or maybe another set of Fuchs, since they are light. What wheels make for a good candidate? I'm planning this for next season, so no hurry. Just not sure what I should be looking for.

How light are these wheels?

American Racing (4 spoke)
Westerns

What else?
purple
well, I'm watching these on ebay myself...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...351503&rd=1

never heard of 'minilites' but they are a 14 X 6 rim, looks like you can run some fatter meats on there
blitZ
QUOTE(purple @ Sep 20 2007, 09:49 AM) *

never heard of 'minilites' but they are a 14 X 6 rim, looks like you can run some fatter meats on there

I saw those and thought it may be tough finding competition tires for 14 inch wheels. It's hard enough finding them for 15s.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(purple @ Sep 20 2007, 06:49 AM) *

Minilites have been around awhile, I have seen them on race cars mostly and alot

of them were 14's. They must be getting racing tires somewhere...
pfierb
I may be wrong but I have never seen a set of Minilites that looked like that.....All the Minilites I have seen have 8 spokes and a completely different look.
rhodyguy
6" wide, i'd want the backspacing. your speedo will be WAY off with 14" wheels and low profile tires.

k
purple
doesnt falken make azenis for wheels this size?

isnt this a domination way to make a short-ratio transmission on the cheap?

http://www.falkentire.com/rt615_sizes.html

looks like you can get 195 60r14's in azenis

whatcha think?
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 20 2007, 10:13 AM) *

6" wide, i'd want the backspacing. your speedo will be WAY off with 14" wheels and low profile tires.

k

If the goal is for AX who cares if your speedo is right. Those minilights are very nice. I have seen many AXers, 914ers and others, that run those.

If you are looking for 15s the Mahle wheels are the best looking light wheel. They are a little lighter than Fuchs, but they are not as strong. There is a lighter wheel that was made by Momo? but it is not very good looking, and they are very hard to find.
Chris Pincetich
I have often wondered why nobody races 14 inch wheels because they would be lighter and result in a lower gearing. If it was the way to go, everybody would do it, and around here, nobody does it. biggrin.gif

I roll 195/50s on those 15x6 American Racing wheels and I like them a lot. It does make my gearing lower, I like it! I've never got a chance to weigh them, but they look cool (Fuchs center caps fit) and I think the extra width REALLY helps. If you're going cheap, tough to beat 2.0 Fuchs, if you want awesome wheels, go Keiser, Diamond Racing or other 15x7. Not many other choices, unfortunately.
beerchug.gif
RoninEclipse2G
original Mahle 4 bolt gasburners are very light, I had a chance to heft the difference with an original 5 lug Fuch, both 15" the Mahle felt lighter to me, unfortunately I don't have an exact weight.

the other bitch is that original Mahle gasburners are getting quite pricey
Joe Ricard
Centerlines 15 x 8.5 with 4.75" backspace.
I run 15's because the tire choice is gooder. like 22 x 9.5 x 15

Yes you need huge flares but you said Autocross. and wheel and tire is 30 pounds total.
purple
well bonus, i have light wheels. I always thought they felt so friggen light. i have mahle wheels. it's amazing how light they are compared to my old mazda 6 18'' factory rims. i mean they had to be less than 3/4 weight. i wonder what's the BFD with bigass rims. i liked how they looked. but yesterday i saw 20'' rims on a mini cooper....yeah
Joe Ricard
More accurately your Mahles are about 14 pounds each and measure 5.5 inches wide.

Tought to find an Autocross tires to fit well. 205/50-15 is about it.

My slicks are equal to 275/35-15.
blitZ
It would seem to me the 14" wheels would require more shifting between 2nd and 3rd in an AX as your speed in 2nd would be diminished. From what I have searched the Fuchs are the lightest stock wheels at 13 lbs and the Mahles and Pedrinis a few pounds more. Just curious about the weight of some of the old after market wheels floating around. I've heard centerlines a light and have seen some clones available.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.