Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gathering Opinions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rigglet
I started a thread in the Originality forum about emblems which turned into quite an interesting discussion. It got me thinking about how to proceed with my car. I was going to post it there, but I was pretty sure about the outcome. smile.gif Hopefully my question will generate the same quite of discussion here.

I have a '71/4 with the appearance group package. Is this fairly common setup for the '71s?

Now for the real question I have...

Should I spend the time/money/energy to do a full concourse restore on this car? Or should I just do a nice solid restore, but not concern myself with all concourse aspects of the restore? I can then find another more "rare" car to focus efforts on.

I am leaning towards a full concourse restore, but then it would limit my driving of the car for fear of ruining a lot of hard work. unsure.gif

I guess the answer to my first question will really give me a lot of insight. If this is a fairly common package it won't be a big deal to do a light restore and keep the car available for more driving. If it is a less common package I will definitely go with the more details restore.

All opinions welcomed and appreciated!

Troy
davep
I'd guess that an appearance group car would be very common. The biggest thing about doing a concours restoration is to start with an excellent example. If you have an average car that requires a lot of body repair, then I would not advise the concours route. About the only exception to this would be a color code 98 car that would quality as a rarity.

Other than that, just use common sense to dictate the cost of restoration.
McMark
Do you want to drive it 5 years from now? Or 10? wink.gif
rigglet
I would love to drive it ALL the time if possible, but if this car has any value above a "standard" car I would want to do a full concourse restore and look for another driver. And by value I don't just mean financial value. I also refer to 914 nut value. biggrin.gif

But if what davep says is the case then my question may be answered. This not a rare color car. It is color code L11E, which was painted black at some time.

Here is a picture...not very good....so people know what I am starting with.

stephenaki
I had a similar question when I began the restoration of my 74 MG Midget. The most common answer that I got was, "depends."

Depends on what you want to do with it, show it and compete in venues that judge with concourse rules or drive it regularly.

I don't intend to compete any of my vehicles, MG and Porsche in any competitions so you won't find me trying to restore either car to a concourse state.

I will stay fairly true to my MGs appearance with the exception of paint and sound system and the 914 will be my not even close to stock driver.

I would say, in answer to your question from another newbie, "it depends." Once you know what you want to do, you will then have your answer. My .02 euros.
RoninEclipse2G
If you were going for something truly rare to do a concours resto on either an original 6 or a 74 LE would be my suggestions, otherwise like dave said with a 98 color code. otherwise most everything else rarer is quite literally made of unobtanium (factory 8's, 916's)
tdgray
You have a 71 with front bumper tits???

Are you sure?

The appearance group (which I am not sure was offered in 71) consisted of sail vinyl and center console. Where is yours?
1970 Neun vierzehn
Troy,
If your 914 has a significant meaning to you, well over and above its value as a car, and you plan to care for it and keep it a very long time, I'd restore it.
If on the other hand, the 914 has just transitory value to you, say as a means to get a /6 or a 911, I don't believe the monetary, time and personal investment will be satisfying.
In my own circumstances, I've cared for my '70/4 for 32+ years as best that I've could, but the dreaded tinworm has called my bluff. It was time to either do a restoration and invest a significant amount of time (which I have currently very little available after 50+ hour weeks) or invest a significant amount of money to bring it back to as-new. I know as "investments" go, this isn't even one. My 914 is a hobby, a passion and has imbedded itself into my psyche and I consider myself its "caretaker", "keeper", or benefactor, as it were. I don't ever plan on selling it, so its value surpasses any market conditions. To most people (other than 914 enthusiasts), it's probably just an old car, but to me it represents my history, my enthusiasm, my excentricities, my passion, and I can chronical my family vacations, PCA participation, my career path, even my places of residence just by staring at its sheetmetal or better yet, driving it. driving.gif
So to distill my answer to you, if you are passionate about that particular car, then save it for posterity. If not, pass it on to someone who might keep the fire burning to save it.
rigglet
QUOTE(tdgray @ Sep 20 2007, 04:41 PM) *

You have a 71 with front bumper tits???

Are you sure?

The appearance group (which I am not sure was offered in 71) consisted of sail vinyl and center console. Where is yours?

Yes it is a 71, I've checked the VIN to make sure. One of the POs has done a lot of "modifications". mad.gif I believe the bumpers were replaced (at least the front). I have the vinyl for the sail. In fact, the top piece of vinyl is still in place. Center console (if it ever existed) has apparently disappeared long ago. dry.gif

Thanks 1970 Neun vierzehn. I think you have summed it up best of all. I truly do love these cars and have wanted one for years. But my love of the car is the enjoyment of driving it. I think what I will do is a good solid restore on her. It won't be concourse level in that I will have some creature comforts (radio, etc), aftermarket exhaust, and some other items that may not have been original to this car (alternate badging, front and rear spoilers...maybe). But I will make sure that she is structurally and mechanically sound and that I don't make any changes that can't be reversed someday.

Thanks all for the input. This is the greatest group I have ever found. The way everyone pulls together to help other members out is what makes this group truly great!

beerchug.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif
tdgray
It is a great lookin' car smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.