Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Options for a smoother tach?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wobbletop
Hey all.
First real post. I searched for info on this but couldn't find much. Is there a FAQ somewhere for common 914 questions?

I'm a new owner ('70 with 6cyl conversion). The tach jumps around a lot so I'm not really sure where the RPMs are most of the time.

What options exist to get a better tach?

Thanks,
Walter
sww914
Aftermarket tachs will work, but I haven't seen any that fit in the hole just right. I have a big Autopower in m car, but it's a racecar so it doesn't matter much what it looks like.
You can send your tach to North Hollywood Speedometer and the will return it looking and working like new. I haven't sent them anything for several years so I don't know how much it will cost. welcome.png
Aaron Cox
i believe 914GT did an article/writeup on how to smooth the jumps....

it may be in the classics forum. A search should help smile.gif
marks914
I have them.
For $150 I can restore your tach with your choice of redlines and replace the guts with a modern air core movement set. Check out my website for more info:
http://members.aol.com/bigmarkdesign/products
Mark

I am also working on a 10 K tach.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(marks914 @ Sep 20 2007, 11:47 PM) *

For $150 I can restore your tach with your choice of redlines and replace the guts with a modern air core movement set. ...

That's quite a deal! I had Palo Alto Speedo simply replace the guts of my tach about eight or ten years ago, and even at that point it was about $170. The above is getting more, for less money!

--DD
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(marks914 @ Sep 21 2007, 12:47 AM) *

I have them.
For $150 I can restore your tach with your choice of redlines and replace the guts with a modern air core movement set. Check out my website for more info:
http://members.aol.com/bigmarkdesign/products
Mark

I am also working on a 10 K tach.

I may send my tach down to you. That is a really good price.
TJB/914
QUOTE(wobbletop @ Sep 20 2007, 08:13 PM) *

Hey all.
First real post. I searched for info on this but couldn't find much. Is there a FAQ somewhere for common 914 questions?

I'm a new owner ('70 with 6cyl conversion). The tach jumps around a lot so I'm not really sure where the RPMs are most of the time.

What options exist to get a better tach?

Thanks,
Walter

Hi Walter, glad you posted.

I was thinking it may not be the tach. I always thought they work or don't work. On my 4-cly car when the tach starts jumping around it's time to put in new set of points. This always takes care of my jumping tach.

Tom
Spoke
I put a 3300uF capacitor across the windings of the tach and it eliminated the bouncing. The 3300uF is too much though, as the tach is a bit lethargic now, but still better than the bouncing Betty that it was.

Someone else used a 2000uF cap which I think would be a better choice.

Spoke
Mark Henry
AutoMeter monster fits right in....

Hey Aaron I know what you'll say bootyshake.gif

biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 21 2007, 10:26 PM) *

AutoMeter monster fits right in....

Hey Aaron I know what you'll say bootyshake.gif

biggrin.gif

KMA.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.