Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PolyBronze Front Bushinngs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pjhaun
Could somebody tell me how free is the movement of the front "A" arm when the polybronze bushings are installed? With out the torsion bar intstalled I tightened all the bolts down and the movement is a little stiff. Is that the way it is suspose to be?

Thank You!!!!
Phillip J. Haun
Oak Harbor, WA.

Allan
I helped a buddy of mine install the same bushings and thought the same thing.

We finally realized that we have nowhere the strength to move the arms like a 2000 pound car can so, we just went ahead and installed them.

Car rides very well...
craig downs
I just install mine last week and mine had the same feeling. When I unbolted the front they moved very freely. I purchased the low-friction control arm mounts from Elephant Racing. The kit comes with 2 bushing sleeves that go in the cross bar and
alignment disks for 200.00. A little pricey but my arms glide like butter now.
pjhaun
QUOTE(craig downs @ Sep 22 2007, 08:18 PM) *

I just install mine last week and mine had the same feeling. When I unbolted the front they moved very freely. I purchased the low-friction control arm mounts from Elephant Racing. The kit comes with 2 bushing sleeves that go in the cross bar and
alignment disks for 200.00. A little pricey but my arms glide like butter now.

How did you get the polybronze bushings out of the old bushing sleeves to put in the new bushing sleeves?

Thank You!!!!
Phillip J. Haun
Oak Harbor, WA.
craig downs
I pulled the sleeves out of the crossbar and pressed them out in a press. I had a heck of a time pressing mine in the stock sleeves but the new sleeves were machined so
they went in a lot easier. Before you do anything make sure you remove the grease
zerks so you don't accidentally snap them off. You can get more information
at www.elephantracing.com
rhodyguy
phil, my front comtrol arms rotate pretty freely with the pb bushings installed. that is when they are not connected to struts and front sway bar. could you expand on getting the pb bushings out of the old sleeves? are you back tracking a bit to add the elephant housing/sleeves? if you're retro fitting and don't have the wrap around shims, you'll prob have to order them.

re the zerk fittings...you have to give a bit of thought before buttoning things up. i located them in a position that allows for easy lubing, yet protected from damage during driving. i felt pointing them straight down was way too much exposure so i cocked them to one side.

k
PeeGreen 914
Once you have the bushings in they should move very free. You want no binding of any kind in there. You should be able to push it and have it swing.
craig downs
When I first put mine in I tried everything to get them freed up. It was just a little stiff
when all bolted up. I really didn't want to lay out the cash for the low friction mounts but I needed a little more movement to get it aligned to free it up totally. The instructions do say a little resistance is normal so it all depends on how tight you want to put up with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.