Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
Hey guys,
I finally removed the exhaust off my '76 everything PAST the heat exchangers.
It had 2 big mufflers both really rusted and a single out pipe with a cat in between the mufflers...

im looking to replace it with stock but preferably upgraded exhaust and stumbled across this one on feebay.

would this bolt up to mine without modification?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...mMakeTrack=true

for the lazy ones (cuz i am lol):
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

thanks
-Steve
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Steve: I just replaced the exhaust on my 73. I got a Bursch system from

Pelican Parts $266.00 to my door,another $10.00 for S.S. nuts and bolts. It just

about fell on. Sounds sweet. My 2 cents Dave slap.gif

Check out E-Bay item # 120163065401, ( my listing) Bursch Tuned Exhaust for
1970 to 1972 914. I ordered this first for mine,the seller didn't know it just fit 70 to 72. It's in nice shape . Interested? P.M. me Dave

OOOOPPPS i just saw you have a 76 . Eather will not fit your 76 !!!!!
Hammy
That states the muffler is for a 72, which is a 1.7 and will not work on a 76 2.0 exhaust.
stateofidleness
cool that's what i needed to know, thanks hammy!

Hey BarberDave, ill definitely check out that exhaust! pics?
purple
i have a 76 and i'm replacing the exhaust on mine with a header from patrick motorsports.

check out my other thread 'my engine temps are high...real high' there is a picture there.

i'm ordering mine from a place called 'stable energies'

seems good so far. i'll write up a review once i get it and install it
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Hammy: I am confused( that is very easy at my age) both items the one Steve posted and mine are

complete exhaust systems. Dave
rhodyguy
dave, if you had listed that exhaust here it would be sold. i know of 2 members that are looking, in vain, for a good used one for 1.7/1.8 hes. how much to end th auction early? $250 for a new one is a killer.

k
Hammy
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Sep 23 2007, 08:52 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

Hammy: I am confused( that is very easy at my age) both items the one Steve posted and mine are

complete exhaust systems. Dave

Are you sure? By complete exhaust that would mean both the exhaust manifolds (heat exchangers) and the muffler too.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Hammy:

My experience has been, Heat exchangers are looked at alone. What Bolts to the heat exchangers back is referred as exhaust system. I know this is a little
diferent than other cars, but aren't our cars different? Or Better!!!

Dave slap.gif
Hammy
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Sep 23 2007, 11:22 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

Hammy:

My experience has been, Heat exchangers are looked at alone. What Bolts to the heat exchangers back is referred as exhaust system. I know this is a little
diferent than other cars, but aren't our cars different? Or Better!!!

Dave slap.gif

Gotcha. bye1.gif
stateofidleness
k here's a pic of what i took off.
Click to view attachment

someone link me to some sweet exhausts that would fit mine?

what i WANT to do (now this might turn heads or get me laughed at) but i kind of wanted to do 2 glasspacks going straight out the rear.

here is a pic of my ideal exhaust: wub.gif wub.gif

Click to view attachment
jd74914
It would look cool, but a T4 needs the merged collector to make any kind of power.
Dave_Darling
Here's a link to something that will work. The 75-76 muffler setup:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...f_pg1.htm#item1

You'll still need the cat (or the bypass pipe if legal in your area).

Not a lot of other options that I know of offhand for the 75-76 exhangers. There seems to be one "dual exhuast" with two outlets on the left side that we also carry, but no pic. sad.gif

Most of this stuff is probably available from other retailers as well. wink.gif

--DD
PeeGreen 914
Of the 914s I have seen the Triad exhaust looks and sounds the best. I will try to upload a pic of my car with it on, but until then, here is the link to their site.

http://www.triadwestperformance.com/Products.htm
VaccaRabite
if you don't need to worry about emissions, you can backdate the car to earlier heat exchangers. The 75/76 setup is the worst of all the years. I got rid of mine.

Zach
stateofidleness
yea.. mines got all this emissions stuff added and im trying to rid the car of it completely... i like the triad. be curious to see what it looks like mounted.

still leaning heavily towards somethin like in that pic i posted though!!

OT: is there a thread somewhere that shows ALL the possible added emissions equipment?

keep the recommendations coming. really anxious to replace the exhaust with some shiny new chrome!

ALSO... if im not in need of heat in the car, is there a way to eliminate the heating system or remove the heat exchangers for straight pipes or something? not sure how it all works
PeeGreen 914
So here is what the Triad looks like mounted up. Those oil spots aren't from this 914 huh.gif I have had a few others av-943.gif
PeeGreen 914
Here is another...
PeeGreen 914
Taking a step back....
rhodyguy
to upgrade to a triad, early 2.0 version bursch, what ever...you MUST ditch the 75-76 hes and source early 2.0 hes. PERIOD!!! if you buy a triad with your current hes, you will be sending it back!!! if you buy the early 2.0 bursch, you will be sending it back!!! pm being sent.

k
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 24 2007, 11:02 AM) *

to upgrade to a triad, early 2.0 version bursch, what ever...you MUST ditch the 75-76 hes and source early 2.0 hes. PERIOD!!! if you buy a triad with your current hes, you will be sending it back!!! if you buy the early 2.0 bursch, you will be sending it back!!! pm being sent.

k

Triad also sells a header set, and they sometimes have SSIs
newto914s
Here is a write up I did about the difference between early(good) exhausts and late(what you have) systems. I hope it helps
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=73563&hl=
When I back dated mine it was a difference I could feel.
stateofidleness
do i NEED heat exchangers?
ok this will sound dumb but.. what is the difference between a manifold and a header? and if i got headers, would i be fine with a new exhaust?

if i ditched the heat exchangers, what do i replace that space with?

thanks for the help.

do you have any measurements on ground clearance on that exhaust ? and possibly rear bumper clearance?

mine sits REAL low. and might drag lol
rhodyguy
do you think you're going to need warmth/heat at some point? which exhaust are you refering to?

PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Sep 24 2007, 01:39 PM) *

do i NEED heat exchangers?
ok this will sound dumb but.. what is the difference between a manifold and a header? and if i got headers, would i be fine with a new exhaust?

if i ditched the heat exchangers, what do i replace that space with?

thanks for the help.

do you have any measurements on ground clearance on that exhaust ? and possibly rear bumper clearance?

mine sits REAL low. and might drag lol

I have my car rather low, and you can see there is plenty of room. In Seattle we have some streets that have a very sharp change in angle, and I am yet to have a problem.
If you were to get rid of the exchangers you would put headers on there. From your heads you have the exhaust manifold,also known as exchangers or headers, that run to the muffler. The nice thing about the Triad is it doesn't stick out as far as some exhausts. The one you have on the first post sticks out a ways and it does sit a little lower. I had one on a parts car a while back.
stateofidleness
here's a pic of the original exhaust.. you can see that the pipe had rusted off so im not sure how far it stuck out... i need it to clear the back cuz i dont want the fiberglass to burn or "blacken"

Click to view attachment

im really diggin that triad a little more
it's pretty costly to dump the HE's and go to a header then huh?

it might be a good investment though so im not ruling it out, but i want to make sure that if i bought some Triad headers or some SSI's and the Triad muffler, that that is all i would need.

thanks for the pics
rhodyguy
how much money do you have to spend? when the dust settles you'll have $1k into the triad. when the dust settles you'll have $7-8 into used 2.0 ss hes and a triad muffler. not to include disposeables. or... you could buy a triad and a set of early 2.0 hes with bad casings/shells (cut them off) and you will basicly have headers and 0 heat. btw, with the triad jon pictured you HAVE to cut the rear valance on the pass side for the second pipe. note he runs with NO valance. how much money do you want to spend? did you get my pm?

k
stateofidleness
hey man, got your PM! may go that route.. but wouldn't know where to go to get all those things you mentioned..

$1k is a bit much for right now...

actually i was only lookin to spend the price of a new/upgraded muffler right now... ~$300ish if possible

but if i cant get a great system with increased HP with headers and a triad-like exhaust, i could wait a little longer to save up.. assuming its worth the price

you got pics of yours?
newto914s
When I back dated my exhaust. I got a complete SS set-up from Flapper boxes to tail pipe for $350 shipped. It was 1.7/1.8 system, and I did have to wait for that deal to how up, but you can get a better exhaust on their for 400-700 easy. The question is whether you see you self needing more exhaust in the future and if so whether you should just spend the money now and never have to think about it again, Tangerine aktion035.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(newto914s @ Sep 24 2007, 04:36 PM) *

When I back dated my exhaust. I got a complete SS set-up from Flapper boxes to tail pipe for $350 shipped. It was 1.7/1.8 system, and I did have to wait for that deal to how up, but you can get a better exhaust on their for 400-700 easy. The question is whether you see you self needing more exhaust in the future and if so whether you should just spend the money now and never have to think about it again, Tangerine aktion035.gif

Don;t get me worng, I think Chris makes some awsome stuff, but I think the Triad stuff is less $ and just as efficient. The Triads weigh a little more, but the Hp restriction is less.... Depends on what you are going for. I would go Triad all the way. I have a few of his exhausts, and every one of them is great.

If you call and talk to Dave Elison, Triad, he may be able to set you up a little discount for what you are going for. They also have a killer carb linkage. I would advise saving up to do this one...if it were me. PLease tell him Jon Bovey reffered you to him too if you do call him. I always tell him I try to promote his stuff as I love the sound and performance they give.
Tom
I have an exhaust that looks very much like the E-bay one except it is for a 75 - 76 style of heat exchanger. New , never used. It has been in the storage shed for years and needs wire brushed and painted. $ 125.00 plus shipping if you are interested.
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.