Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cheap, Cheaper, Cheapest 1970-1976
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
Yeah, they improved the window rollers
Added side protection in the doors
Moved the fuel pump to stop vapor lock, etc.
They did improve the car over the years

BUT, lots of things got cheaper along the way, too.

OK, I'll start...

1970-1972 Metal rear trunk emblems
1973-1975 Plastic rear trunk emblems
1976 Vinyl sticker rear trunk emblems

Paul
So.Cal.914
Plastic everywhere on my 74, thats why my 72 will be a doner car. smile.gif
jonferns
early cars had window cranks with a chrome piece at the base (I think they were metal) and a plastic upper....later cars had a plastic cover....

-JON biggrin.gif
orthobiz
All metal door lock handles and backing plates 1970-1972?
Plastic backing on later cars.

Paul
davep
In 1973 they went from chrome metal and plastic cup version of the inner door handle to the one piece plastic part.

At the same time the window winders were simplified as well. This followed the VW parts changes since they were the same items.

The plastic panel under the passenger door pull replaced an upholstered part about 1975.

On the other hand, the 914 2.0 engine was developed, and that was a big improvement on what VW was able to offer.

I do have a few pet peeves where they could have saved more on some parts, for example why did they not use the same A-arms and torsion bars as the 914/6 and 911; that would have greatly increased the economy of scale. The same thing with the rear stub axles; why so many varieties with no good reason?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.