Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Temp and AMP Gauges
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turtleturtle
Okay, I finally got my 914 registered and have been trouble shooting a few things. My engine temp gauge is not even hooked up and neither is my AMP guage. I was wondering is anyone knew where the engine temp sensor is located? Same for the AMP reader? Thanks.
Spoke
Engine temp sensor is on the bottom of the engine on a plate called the "taco plate". Search the site for taco plate for more info.

The ammeter is an aftermarket item and should intercept the smaller wire going to the positive terminal of the battery.

Spoke
turtleturtle
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 23 2007, 12:47 PM) *

Engine temp sensor is on the bottom of the engine on a plate called the "taco plate". Search the site for taco plate for more info.

The ammeter is an aftermarket item and should intercept the smaller wire going to the positive terminal of the battery.

Spoke

I was looking at the taco plate, but there is not sensor. Is it suppose tp be like that?
So.Cal.914

I was looking at the taco plate, but there is not sensor. Is it suppose tp be like that?

Some teeners came with it, some did not. I have seen them drill a hole in

the 'taco plate' and mount the sensor, but I would not recommend it.

I have seen them on evilbay and here in the classifieds, the correct plate with

sensor. Amp meter? Do you mean volt meter? Volt meter has a power wire and I

think a ground. Hook up power so it can sence your voltage at the battery. smile.gif
turtleturtle
Taco plate?

IPB Image

Sorry, I am a newb at the 914. I have a Karmann Ghia as well, but have had it for over 2 years and have learned much.
type47
that's not a "taco plate" but looks like a stock plate that someone tapped a temp sensor into. the real taco plate replaces the one you have and has a factory sensor and a cover plate over the sensor. it looks to me that what you have is a VDO temp sender mounted on a stock cover plate.
turtleturtle
^ Thanks. Can someone please post some installation instructions on how to wire the ammeter gauge. Like, which wire goes where??
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(turtleturtle @ Sep 23 2007, 01:02 PM) *

^ Thanks. Can someone please post some installation instructions on how to wire the ammeter gauge. Like, which wire goes where??

Again, I will ask..."Are you sure it is a Amp gauge?"
I have never seen a 'stock' amp gauge for the center console. And the wiring is very different.

that's not a "taco plate" but looks like a stock plate that someone tapped a temp sensor into. the real taco plate replaces the one you have and has a factory sensor and a cover plate over the sensor. it looks to me that what you have is a VDO temp sender mounted on a stock cover plate.

agree.gif

Mine was the same way. But not anymore.
Spoke
My car has a VDO ammeter but I don't know where the sender is. The sender for an ammeter is usually a very very low value resistor like 0.01 ohms in series with the smaller wire going to the battery. This is the wire from the alternator and indicates the amount of charge going to/from the battery.

The voltmeter is just hooked to a switched fuse and ground and measures the voltage at the fuse which may be 0.01 to several 0.1 volts lower than the battery voltage depending on voltage drop in the wiring to the battery.

Spoke
Cap'n Krusty
Here's a link to an article showing a typical ammeter installation. Big freakin' wire, and plenty of it. All for a pretty useless gauge, all things considered. The Cap'n

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/ammeter.htm
turtleturtle
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 23 2007, 05:06 PM) *

My car has a VDO ammeter but I don't know where the sender is. The sender for an ammeter is usually a very very low value resistor like 0.01 ohms in series with the smaller wire going to the battery. This is the wire from the alternator and indicates the amount of charge going to/from the battery.

The voltmeter is just hooked to a switched fuse and ground and measures the voltage at the fuse which may be 0.01 to several 0.1 volts lower than the battery voltage depending on voltage drop in the wiring to the battery.

Spoke

Thanks!! Ammeter is just like yours, but yellow lettering. Now I know how you wire it. Thanks much!
turtleturtle
I still can't seem to figure out how the the Ammeter works? Please, where the heck is the sender located? Where does the +B and the +L connectors connect to? It is just sitting there on my dash, doing nothing and I want all my guages to be functional.

I got my RPM gauge to work. The brown wire was not even connected to the coil, so I connected it and it works now.

But I am still lost as how to wire up the AMP.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(turtleturtle @ Sep 23 2007, 07:07 PM) *

I still can't seem to figure out how the the Ammeter works? Please, where the heck is the sender located? Where does the +B and the +L connectors connect to? It is just sitting there on my dash, doing nothing and I want all my guages to be functional.

I got my RPM gauge to work. The brown wire was not even connected to the coil, so I connected it and it works now.

But I am still lost as how to wire up the AMP.

Did you look at the wiring diagram on the site I referenced earlier? No? Well look at it. There IS NO SENDER! You interrupt the wire between the alternator and the battery, running the interruptor wire all the way to the gauge and back. Plan on 12-15 feet of heavy gauge wire, some crimp connectors, and some sturdy eyelet connectors. All securely and properly crimped so you don't develop unwanted charging problems. Not soldered, and not using insulated connectors. You really don't want to do this, BTW. Much simpler to toss the amp gauge and install a proper voltmeter, connected through a relay to the battery (that's if you want it to be accurate). The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.