Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re-Dash, dash cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blitZ
I picked a re-dash dash cover off ebay a while back, they are sold by the Porsche Palace. They said to contact them by phone for installation instructions. I have left several messages and sent emails with no response. Anyone know how to install this thing, what adhesive to use?
736conver
QUOTE(blitZ @ Sep 23 2007, 02:24 PM) *

I picked a re-dash dash cover off ebay a while back, they are sold by the Porsche Palace. They said to contact them by phone for installation instructions. I have left several messages and sent emails with no response. Anyone know how to install this thing, what adhesive to use?

The only two I have see install where done with double sided tape. Both looked good or I should say as good as a cap can look. I would look for a quality 3m double sided tape.
porschecb
Dont use double sided tape! It will produce to much of a gap! If its tight like it should be use adhesive glue. Do a test fit install, trim where need to and glue it down. aktion035.gif
VaccaRabite
Mine came with glue, but I got it 2 years ago.

Zach
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I have the Ans. to the tape issue! Go to any place that sells Men's Hair

Replacements. Ask for clear 1x3 straight strips, they come 36 to a bag or box.

They are about $4.00 a bag,( at least thats what I charge) . Most of it is 3 M tape

that is heat sensitive, this will really do the job. And it,s the thickness of Scotch

Tape. Dave slap.gif
IronHillRestorations
I know of a few that aren't glued in. I have always glued them with the silicone glue provided, but I couple that I've sold have been living a happy life without any adhesive. I don't think you can tell the difference if they are glued/taped or if no adhesive.
blitZ
I think I would like to glue it down. As it sits currently, it's not quite flat. Maybe, I need to fiddle with it more. I did not get any glue, you used just a silicon based adhesive?
xperu
I Didn't glue mine in and it fits and looks real good considering what the cracked original looks like. Mike
StratPlayer
I installed one about a year ago. I didn't use any glue, if you look a the re dash you will notice that this is held in place by the A pillars on each side. Mine looks good and I've never had any problems with this install.
blitZ
Mine came with a little bulge in front of the passenger section and it won't lay down without pressure. I'm going to have to glue it.

Thanks
IronHillRestorations
You might be able to gingerly warm it with a heat gun, or leave it out in the sun to get it to lay flat.
woobn8r
Don't know about installing one...but I took mine out last night...no tape, no glue and it sat quite nice...

The sides were "wedged" in right by the a pillars so there was absolutely no movement.

I'd park yours in the hot sun to see if that would smooth it out a bit...
blitZ
Good idea with the heat/sun to reshape it, thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.