Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slim72914
I was trying to start my 72 today and it wasnt pumping fuel so I took it off and stood it upright and sprayed some throttlebody cleaner in the ports let it sit a few min and tried it again. it worked! creates pressure but it leeks on the side of it behind the wire connectors. Can this be rebuilt? Or is it time to get a new one?
swl
I haven't been able to find an o-ring set to rebuild them but they must exist somewhere. Parts guys do sell rebuilts so there has to be rubber for them somewhere.

Easy to take apart and have a look see. Easy to reassemble as well (that's always the hard part for me!). Only gotcha is the rubber o-rings will expand and be impossible to put back in until they thoroughly dry out.
Spoke
I have the same problem. My pump doesn't "leak", it more like oozes such that I get faint gas odors in the car but no real puddles. If there is a rebuild kit I would like to know about it. If Parts guys sell these, who are they?

Spoke
Cap'n Krusty
No "kit", and no parts, other than maybe a spec size o-ring. I wouldn't TOUCH a rebuilt fuel pump. The Cap'n
balljoint
I had the same problem. I talked to Mike at Mikes914s and he said he had rebuilt them but never to his satisfaction, they always leaked again too quickly down the road. I bought a new 2 port pump, relocated and never looked back.
Spoke
How does the 2 port pump connect? I have the stock 3 port: Intake from tank, pressurized output to engine, and return from engine.

Spoke
swl
in the three port there is a y connector into the third port - returning gas to the tank. In two port there return line just goes straight from the pressure regulator back to the tank. The extra 'return' on the 3 port pump seems to be designed to help bleed off air during priming and also seems to be an overpressure relief valve.

My experience isn't nearly as deep as the cap'n or Mike but I've not had any luck in putting a malfunctioning one back to rights. There are some generic aftermarkets that will work - here's a thread where it has been discussed. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=42882
slim72914
Ok I took it apart today and all 3 seals were completely dried up and crusty. Upon attempted removal of the connector from the end cap that holds the armature the neg. wire broke off in the connector... We have had a little experience with electric motors at work (28vdc) and decided it wasnt worth the headache to try and fix the connector. So I will be UPGRADING to a 2 port electric pump and relocating it to the front. Anyone wana buy a completely disassembled fuel pump off a 72? I know I know sorry about no pics I left it at work.

Anyone got a part# for a 2 port fuel pump to replace the original with?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.