Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: doors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rufio0205
Couple of problems with my doors...

I saw someone who had posted a similar topic but not quite exactly like mine. My driver side door only opens from the outside. How can i get it to open both ways? remove the inside latch or do i need to take the entire door panel off?

Next, my passenger door does not open either way, inside or outside. I can not get my door open period. Any suggestions on how to open it and fix it? I feel the locking mechanism but it doesn't do me any good to mess with that because it doesn't open period. Do i need all new door latches?

I have another quick problem. my Brake lights dont work. but the actual lights work when i turn them on from the intrument panel. Also, turn signals and flashers work. kind of bugging me. Anyone, any ideas?

Thanks
Thomasq
jd74914
My passenger side door inside latch broke the pin in between the latch and lock which caused the mechanism to splay outwards instead of pull the rod to open the door catch. I don't know if there is a way to fix that pin . . . I just replaced the latch with a spare.
rhodyguy
for the brake light prob look in your haynes. p129, text in section 30, and refer to fig 9.24. the adjustment must be correct, and the orientation of the arm on the switch MUST be as pictured. if the install is correct, check for continuity when the arm is moved FORWARD.

k

TINCAN914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 24 2007, 10:42 AM) *

for the brake light prob look in your haynes. p129, text in section 30, and refer to fig 9.24. the adjustment must be correct, and the orientation of the arm on the switch MUST be as pictured. if the install is correct, check for continuity when the arm is moved FORWARD.

k

agree.gif
Also check to make sure the contacts are on the brake switch sensor on the pedal assembly.. I replaced my assy last week and one came off during the drive to Moab.. mad.gif
Spoke
On your driver door where inside doesn't unlatch, remove the panel like this:

Remove plastic cover on inside door handle latch with a small screwdriver. Then remove door handle surround with phillips head screw driver.

Remove window crank.

Remove screws on door pocket.

From here, there are buttons holding the door panel on. These un-snap one by one by carefully pulling on the panel.

The top of the panel hooks on the top of the door frame so when the bottom buttons are un-snapped, lift the panel up and off.

From there you should be able to see the lock mechanism and control arm from the inside handle. All I can say here is check for unusual connections and you may have to remove the lock mechanism to check.

On my 71, I removed one lock mechanism at a time, cleaned it and soaked it in motor oil to lube the lock. Worked a lot better after that.

For the passenger door, remove hardware as described above and try to get behind the door panels and un-snap the buttons and remove the panel.

Spoke
rhodyguy
starting on the bottom, use a putty knife to EASE the door panel clips out of the door and work your way around. just pulling on the panel can tear the clips out of the old fibre backing. there are 3 metal tabs on the top edge that slide into slots on the door.

k
Cap'n Krusty
I've seen several instances where the screw that holds the inside handle trim piece in place is too long, and simply removing it allows the door to be opened. The Cap'n
lotus_65
seems the brake light issue is priority!

i just finished fixing my door handles and mechanisms. basically i needed to dis-assemble them and get to know 'em. i found the mechanisms dirty and most importantly bent and mis-shapen in important places.

once i cleaned and tweeked the mechanisms (it took several tries each, including mounting trying, unmounting, etc) they work great.

just get in there and work it out, you'll be happy you did.

paul
rufio0205
thanks for all the suggestions. got my haynes manual out and i am getting my hands somewhat dirty. haha. thanks again guys!
lotus_65
haha, yea. it's a filty job!

i reached in to use the inside latch for 4+ years before i tackled it. now i go down to the garage just to open the doors the right way!

omg, that's odd...

biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 24 2007, 09:09 AM) *

I've seen several instances where the screw that holds the inside handle trim piece in place is too long, and simply removing it allows the door to be opened. The Cap'n

agree.gif I switched the screws for the window crank and for the backing plate for the inner door handle. The one for the window crank is juuuuuust a little longer than the other, and will keep the inner handle from opening the door.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.