Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This weekend's 914 work - share your progress
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris Pincetich
I was FINALLY able to get back to work on my 914 this weekend and want to share the progress and if anybody else wants to share their stories and photos from this weekend add it on beerchug.gif

My black 1972 1.7 is a low-mid budget AX+cruiser. If it looks cool and helps me go fast I want it! In most cases, my mods are to shed weight. I've found that having a "race car" on a limited budget can be a challenge, and a lighter car is faster with the same HP, and it USUALLY doesn't cost a lot to take weight off the car.

This weekend I installed or removed these parts
Click to view attachment
jgara962
How much weight did you save with the battery? How does it mount on the battery tray?
Chris Pincetich
Optima red top 34 = about 35lbs
PowerMaster D680 = 14lbs

20 lbs OFF for $100 = $5/lb beerchug.gif

Summit Racing has the battery, BUT the post adaptors are not yet at Summit, you gotta order direct from PowerMaster. headbang.gif
My 914 had been sitting 2 weeks - with the new small battery it started up fine beerchug.gif
Fits right in the tray. My AX heavy duty metal battery strap was designed for the big Odyssey. What you see in the pic below is a block of wood to make it fit. I'll fab a new strap this week.
Click to view attachment
Chris Pincetich
Sooo, the whole air filter thing can be dabated, but my 1.7 has a 1 5/8" 4->1 coated header that relieves back pressure, so I've been dreaming up a high flow intake air filter for some time. After reading Demick's old posts about the affects of moving the intake on his 2.0 over towards the relay board, I had to include the "cold air" intake plan into my project.

Summit Racing web site "Closeouts" had high performance Green ™ filters on sale, so I got one at half price that is designed for a 6L V-8. It costs $37. That should be big enough w00t.gif

Then off to ACE for plumbing parts! Then HOME DEPOT = way cheaper! I plan on returning some ACE parts to save $10. They KEY piece for my project was the 2 1/2" 45 deg bend in black ABS that needs some sandpaper to the inside and it fits perfect on the difficult 1.7 throttle body(?) intake part. Also key was the 2.5->3.5" rubber adaptor that I drilled to fit the vacuum tube from the AR valve(?). Still need to deal with the oil blow-off tube, which used to mount to the air cleaner body outside of the filter, AR tube was always after filter, so I am confident about this placement. My next idea is a oil catch jar to plug the J-tube hole in my tin...or somewhere else.

My test drive resulted in AT LEAST a 15% increase in smiles per gallon beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
BMXerror
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Sep 24 2007, 10:10 AM) *

In most cases, my mods are to shed weight. I've found that having a "race car" on a limited budget can be a challenge, and a lighter car is faster with the same HP, and it USUALLY doesn't cost a lot to take weight off the car.

Same here. I've got a '70 1.7 with a fairly tired engine, but I can't afford a new one. So I'm trying to cut weight out of the thing and slowly race prep it. This weekend I got my doubling plates welded in for the floor, and I laid out where I am going to run the loom for my gauge wires. I've still got A LOT of work to do before an AXish thing at Streets of Willow in two weeks. No pics yet, but I'll update my progress thread before or shortly after the race.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;#entry947117
Mark D.
JC 914
headbang.gif headbang.gif OK Here goes!!!! The wife and I decide to take a nice mountain drive Sunday after my mechanic (Porsche race car certified) gave me a clean bill of health for my '74 2.0 liter. Drove about forty miles through some of the most beautiful country (near ski slopes), and decided to stop for early dinner. Fabulous outdoor dining, temp about 76, several adult beverages, you know!!!! Got back iin the car to leave headbang.gif dead fuel pump headbang.gif

Left car at the only garage in town, daughter came and got us. Next morning, called Nate in Sacramento(THANKS, NATE!!) He overnighted a fuel pump directly to the garage, DUMBASS installed it, and called to tell me it was ready, but it didn't run just right headbang.gif headbang.gif

Long story short, had car towed to my guy (sixty miles), who discovered that DUMBASS had not only kinked the fuel line, but didn't reinstall the fuel filter!!!!!!Who knows what got into my injectors headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Update soon!!!!!!!!!
SGB
Ah the adventures in teenerland. I'm getting ready for some road trips- this weekend to the Crow Mountain Hill Climb (this should be way cool and no I am not in it), next weekend to Petit LeMans, and then Daytona for RIII in november. So I'm checking valve clearances and tweaking carb balance mostly. I have leaky valve cover on one side (the surface is scratched- um- gouged) that I have avoided using sealant on so I can get back in there, but this past w/e I finally decided to put in a new gasket with ptex blue on both sides of the gasket. I'll drive it tomorrow and see if it leaks.

who's next?
DanT
sorry sad.gif
DanT
installed these today, got them on Saturday

they fit quite nicely and definitely look like they belong in the 914. They fit my retro/vintage look of my car so I really like them, instead of a more modern race seat, which I had in the car when I bought it.
DanT
here is what was in the car 2 years ago when I got the car. they just didn't fit the vintage look I was going for.
jd74914
I put the final coat of paint on and started reassembly. My friend Dave and I got the entire interior back in (minus carpet), the lights back on, and a lot of the Al trim back in place. Everything that went in was thoroughly cleaned/polished and looks new. biggrin.gif

I forgot the camera in my dorm room though, so no pictures till next week. smile.gif
Allan
Had my car towed to Mike D's place in Santa Clarita for some much needed troubleshooting and repairs... smash.gif
BMXerror
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 24 2007, 05:20 PM) *

here is what was in the car 2 years ago when I got the car. they just didn't fit the vintage look I was going for.

You know, if you need to unload those 'ugly' race seats I'd be happy to pay shipping to my place to 'recycle' them. biggrin.gif
Mark D.
Spoke
Didn't work on the 914 this weekend but did do some car work. I had to straighten out the wheels on my A6. Dented all 4 of them in NJ. Right sides dented on a RT206 pothole; Left sides dented on a massive pothole on RT78 which also included a cut tire. Got them pretty straight; ready for some new skins.
Aaron Cox
put the motor in after a 6 month down time... (top end yada yada mo powa)
put the header on and the stinger on....
thanks bill craig and clayton for the help

got sidetracked..... went riding....
about 2 hrs away from light off smile.gif
DanT
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Sep 24 2007, 08:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 24 2007, 05:20 PM) *

You know, if you need to unload those 'ugly' race seats I'd be happy to pay shipping to my place to 'recycle' them. biggrin.gif
Mark D.

Sorry Mark, the seats were sold over a year ago, when they were originally removed from the car when it went to paint.
JC 914
QUOTE(JC 914 @ Sep 24 2007, 07:40 PM) *

headbang.gif headbang.gif OK Here goes!!!! The wife and I decide to take a nice mountain drive Sunday after my mechanic (Porsche race car certified) gave me a clean bill of health for my '74 2.0 liter. Drove about forty miles through some of the most beautiful country (near ski slopes), and decided to stop for early dinner. Fabulous outdoor dining, temp about 76, several adult beverages, you know!!!! Got back iin the car to leave headbang.gif dead fuel pump headbang.gif

Left car at the only garage in town, daughter came and got us. Next morning, called Nate in Sacramento(THANKS, NATE!!) He overnighted a fuel pump directly to the garage, DUMBASS installed it, and called to tell me it was ready, but it didn't run just right headbang.gif headbang.gif

Long story short, had car towed to my guy (sixty miles), who discovered that DUMBASS had not only kinked the fuel line, but didn't reinstall the fuel filter!!!!!!Who knows what got into my injectors headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Update soon!!!!!!!!!

WTF.gif WTF.gif

NOW WHAT???

After three weeks in the shop, running down all the FI components electrically, I'm getting no pulse to the fuel injectors. We even tried replacing the computer with a known working one. HELP!!!!!!!!!
TravisNeff
Check for grounds, check the relay board, the ECU's rarely ever fail.

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders
Joe Ricard
Put the steel rear control arm bushings in the car. I am pretty stoked with the results.
Also just got my Pistons back from the Machinist. Now it will be full tilt boogey to get the motor fired in the next few weeks. Then get it in the car plumbed up for oil cooler.

1743 pounds was what it weighed.
TravisNeff
I swapped bumper top rubbers from my roller, lookin good.
orthobiz
New tires have that arrow that indicates the direction in which they are supposed to turn. One tire is backwards. So, I took the driver's rear wheel off, brought it to the tire shop to have the direction of my new tire reversed. If I used the spare, I would have a set of four "directionally correct" tires but the spare has the least cosmetic wheel, so it will remain a spare.

Kinda lazy, huh?

Paul
PeeGreen 914
I took the engine lid off and redid the grill area. I painted all of the black after steel wooling it all. The lettering was all off, and now it all looks like new biggrin.gif
Chuck
I dropped the motor and continued stripping paint.
brer
Rebuilt and installed rear calipers, new pads, speed bleeders and all brake lines.

Now where did I put those parking brake cable clips? headbang.gif
Dr. Roger
Last week was installing Shea re-built rear calipers, installing the Porterfield R4S pads, and bleeding.

Currently a friend, with about 50 hi-po engine builds under his belt, is rebuilding my engine.

To do list:

1. Install that 19mm MC. Too much travel for my comfort.

2. Install those cross drilled rotors and Porterfield R4S pads up front.

3. Have someone show me how to adjust the rear brake venting clearances the right way. I tried using our online resources but it's just too much I think.

4. Install the electric thermostat on my radiator. (air cooled guys ignore this) =)

5. Readjust my shifter linkage.

6. Clean up my wiring.

7. Spray some "out of the box" paint job on it.

That's it for now. aktion035.gif

VaccaRabite
I just got back in from cleaning the restoration bay. It NEEDED it.

Tomorrow, I am hoping to put my wire harness back in the car.

Sunday - who knows. I'll get my tranny back from Dr Evil, then we are going to repair the front suspension on his Toyota. Maybe get my engine back into the 914 if there is still time.

Zach
shelby/914
Click to view attachmentTook it to the paint shop.

Beamer13
Tomorrow, I will be finishing up the prep for dropping the engine out of my baby. Brother in law said he could come over a little later in the afternoon to help me drop it. Then it is the fun process of trying to piece everything back together on the engine. Not really looking forward to all of that since almost everything was melted, so not much to go by besides the book sad.gif Goal is to just take my time and do it right. Gonna get some stainless line to run the fuel lines and relocate the fuel pump, once I get one of those. Then it is time to get to welding on the hell hole and finish up the rockers. I will post pictures of the progress... Any advice is always welcome!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.