Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CB Performance "Dellorto Update Kit" for DRLA 40s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
anderssj
I've been having a problem with idle jets on my DRLA 40s getting plugged, so I was thinking about installing CB Performance's "idle jet doctor" kit (http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=514)

Bouncing around their web site, I came across their Dellorto Update/Horizontal Discharge Tube kit that apparently includes the idle jet doctors (http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=522).

That page contained a link to a "tech article" from the Jan 96 issue of "VW Trends"
(http://www.cbperformance.com/Jan1996.asp). I figured the article would give the product a good review, but thought I should check with 914 world garage to get THE TRUTH

Anyone here have any experience with this kit, good/bad/indifferent?

TIA

alpha434
I don't know why people want dellortos. 5 years ago, that was the crap brand and webers were the only option. Too many people bought them because they were comparably affordable, and that created a demand in itself which drove the prices up. Now people get them and they don't even know why. It's like buying a Honda. Or a new Porsche for that matter.

Meanwhile- the update kit helps. To get the big performance numbers, you have to do it to whatever vintage carburetor you get.
anderssj
Thanks . . .

FWIW, I've had the dells since around 1982--seemed like a good option at the time (injection was gone when I bought the engine)--and I've been pretty happy with them for the last 100k. Probably time for a complete rebuild.

Like you said, ". . . you have to do it to whatever vintage carburetor you get"

Thanks again,
Aaron Cox
Jet doctors - are basically snorkels so that it is harder to get debris into the idle jets.... it MAY have a small affect on your jetting too.....

Spraybar update kit.... heard it works... never tried it myself.
rhodyguy
i have the HOTVWS with that same writeup. do they work? dunno. will they solve problems due a shiity tank? i doubt it. is cbperformance a major advertiser in HOTVWS? without a doubt.

k
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Sep 24 2007, 02:52 PM) *

I don't know why people want dellortos. 5 years ago, that was the crap brand and webers were the only option...

Interesting because in the VW world they are not crap carbs and they're better than Webers. Definitely the carb to have in a Type III as getting to the idles is far easier than Weber.

However, carbs are crap compared to FI in my world biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Sep 24 2007, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(alpha434 @ Sep 24 2007, 02:52 PM) *

I don't know why people want dellortos. 5 years ago, that was the crap brand and webers were the only option...

Interesting because in the VW world they are not crap carbs and they're better than Webers. Definitely the carb to have in a Type III as getting to the idles is far easier than Weber.

However, carbs are crap compared to FI in my world biggrin.gif

agree.gif I know why I have Dells. Both Art Thrane and Jake Raby who "might" know why you would want one over the other recommend the Dells.

I would rather have EFI though... I am just breaking in the engine on carbs. If I don't like the way Jake is progressing with his turbo type iV by end of next year I will go with TB injection and SDS.
alpha434
Webers offer greater flexibility, performance and they are more reliable. They always have been.

Perhaps either of those two happened to have about 50 of 'em just laying around, and when you get a name for yourself- you can just create a market for a product. Or they might've actually preferred them- they are easier to tune, and you don't end up getting the flat spots in the power bands like a weber does in transition. But I've actually seen an engine dyno poorly, with expert tuning from multiple people on a dell carb- and then dyno pretty damn good with a weber of the same ID with the same group tuning.

Meanwhile, the difference in design and shape is very close between the two. And an inaccuracy in that "experiments" was the velocity stacks- different length/ shapes between the two carbs.

Now if you ever want to see a real piece of crap- pick up a mikuni.

PS:

Dude, you've got a Dell. .... Orto.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Sep 24 2007, 06:57 PM) *

Webers offer greater flexibility, performance and they are more reliable. They always have been.

Perhaps either of those two happened to have about 50 of 'em just laying around, and when you get a name for yourself- you can just create a market for a product. Or they might've actually preferred them- they are easier to tune, and you don't end up getting the flat spots in the power bands like a weber does in transition. But I've actually seen an engine dyno poorly, with expert tuning from multiple people on a dell carb- and then dyno pretty damn good with a weber of the same ID with the same group tuning.

Meanwhile, the difference in design and shape is very close between the two. And an inaccuracy in that "experiments" was the velocity stacks- different length/ shapes between the two carbs.

Now if you ever want to see a real piece of crap- pick up a mikuni.

PS:

Dude, you've got a Dell. .... Orto.

Neither offer Dells for sale. In fact, Jake does offer Webers but states he prefers Dells particularly for the street applications because of the transition problems Webers have and Dells don't...
anderssj
Thanks for all the insights and opinions.

Yeah, FI is the way to go, but for now I need to fix/optimize what I have (my old Elgin 7008-4 cam means staying with carbs).

If/when I do another motor (hopefully one of Jake's 2270 engines smile.gif ), I may look into FI then.

If I end up trying CB's Dell Update Kit on the current engine, I'll post results.

Thanks again,
Joe Ricard
Yes jet doctors help but more importantly good sealing filters will achieve a beter result.

Before I go spend money on Spray bars I would probably want to see the dyno numbers.

would really like to go to EFI TWM Haltech.
So.Cal.914
What we don't need is another FI vs Carbs thread, I like my Webers. I did get the

spraybars, and I like them better than the ' bullseye's'. More power? Couldn't tell

you. Seems smoother though.
anderssj
[quote]What we don't need is another FI vs Carbs thread[/quote]
agree.gif
[/quote] I did get the

spraybars, and I like them better than the ' bullseye's'. More power? Couldn't tell

you. Seems smoother though.[/quote]

Thanks Paul, that helps.
Joe Ricard
I was able to open up my bulls eye acceleration jets with a jet reamer. all 4 now match perfectly and deliver fuel with enough volume to not stumble during throttle plate opening.

Really amazing how much the jet size was off between all 4.
Eric_Shea
Now people get them and they don't even know why.

I've heard that people slam them and they don't even know why.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.