Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What disk type horns do you recommend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iamchappy
I would rather buy a pair of new horns than try to recondition my old ones, plug and play.
There are cheap Hella disk horns, and super horns.
Any suggestions on what fits right in place of the old stock ones.
eg914
I am not sure what is "correct", but I have a pair of the upper left horns on my car. One high and on low frequency. The PO had had the original single horn painted (overspray). Two are definately LOUD.

They fit fine, and I got them at the local Bug shop.
stephenaki
Soooooo...my thoughts of an air horn playing the Dukes of Hazzard tune would be considered a bit much? Wonder how the Germans would take to that?
PRS914-6
You can get a Porsche OEM horn for about $10.00 bucks. The parts guy may say you need a wire kit but you don't. Good bang for the buck
rick 918-S
The loudest horns you can get that don't sound dumb. The Loudest! People don't see us. Specially when your passing them.
dlo914
Joe Sharp has these air horns that are hidden inside the drive side front fender and you should hear his story about honking a car full of sleeping teenagers. av-943.gif What im saying is get the loudest horn you can get, you dont have to have something similar to OEM. When driving a 914 you need the loudest sons a'bitches so everyone know that this little car is here!
Rand
Every once in a while, Harbor Freight puts the 118db WOLO Bad Boy on sale for $35. Compact and simple, sounds better than smallish trumpet air horns.

I want to see somebody put a set of these 156+db train horns on a 914! LOL. A wee bit out of my price range at $2279.95 wacko.gif but hey. tongue.gif
craig downs
I totally agree the loudest you can find. After reading about people getting there
cars crunched because they weren't seen
purple
I second the WOLO, I had a nautilus, meant for motorcycles on miata. It sounds just like a ferrari horn and has the compressor, horns, and everything all in one unit.

link to the nautilus here

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/

they are awesome, you may have to wire a secondary relay for it because they draw some juice, but it worked fine on my miata with a 15a fuse for the horn.
It's LOUD!!!
nein14
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Sep 24 2007, 08:03 PM) *

I would rather buy a pair of new horns than try to recondition my old ones, plug and play.
There are cheap Hella disk horns, and super horns.
Any suggestions on what fits right in place of the old stock ones.

I mounted the red Hella horns on the right in the stock location, they work great and plenty loud driving.gif
So.Cal.914
Horn Kit Supertone 12V 300/500Hz
Part Number: 802140 Our Price: $28.95

http://www.automotion.com/productpage.aspx...ame=HELLA+Horns

Hella, sounds like the old 911 euro horn, and LOUD...

Plug and play. smile.gif
iamchappy
Thanks, for the suggestions. I haven't had a working horn on a 914 for 30 years when i installed an after market steering wheel. There were a few times I wish I had had one.
Installed horns will appear in my turbo assembly thread before the bumper goes on.
913B
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 25 2007, 06:45 AM) *

Horn Kit Supertone 12V 300/500Hz
Part Number: 802140 Our Price: $28.95

http://www.automotion.com/productpage.aspx...ame=HELLA+Horns

Hella, sounds like the old 911 euro horn, and LOUD...

Plug and play. smile.gif

They fit behind the fog light grill fine with no major modifications. Do you have fog lights with those hella horns ?

Thanks
Ted
So.Cal.914
Yes Ted I do, No, no mods. smile.gif
VaccaRabite
I am a fan of the Hella Supertones.

Very loud horns, and small. But, they are pricey.

Zach
So.Cal.914
Price for the supertones... 28.95...

Installing the supertones...About two hours.

The look on the 'Bluehair' who is not paying attention and is about to turn left infront of me... PRICELESS!
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 25 2007, 10:52 AM) *

The look on the 'Bluehair' who is not paying and is about to turn left infront of me... PRICELESS!

They are seriously loud. You will notice guys int he car in front of you jump when you hit the horn. I am going to mount mine in the front bumper, where fog lights would be. That way they are pointed towards trouble, and not at the ground like the stockers.

Zach
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 25 2007, 07:59 AM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 25 2007, 10:52 AM) *

The look on the 'Bluehair' who is not paying and is about to turn left infront of me... PRICELESS!

They are seriously loud. You will notice guys int he car in front of you jump when you hit the horn. I am going to mount mine in the front bumper, where fog lights would be. That way they are pointed towards trouble, and not at the ground like the stockers.

Zach

There is room for the horns and fog lights, and they are still LOUD... Hehehehe.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I just replaced my stockers,with a pair of the black ones in Chappy's pic.

sounds well,instalation was a breeze just plug and play. Dave slap.gif
iamchappy
I just ordered the disk style superhorns - loudest Hella disk style -

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/horns.asp.

I liked the black ones also as they aren't as blingy but hopefully the red ones will disappear behind the grills. I guess i can always paint them black if they do. The horn style has advantages beyond price as they look like they would keep the contaminates out. Thanks guys for the input.
So.Cal.914
They sit a little off to the side, I don't think they will show through the grills.

I think you will be happy with them, they are ((((LOUD)))).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.