Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front bumper removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
whitey
I don't have a rack to get my car up on. Call me dumb...I can't figure out how to remove the front bumper...Help

Thanks, Dave
John
If it's an early car, jack the front end up and put it on stands. Remove the front wheels. In the wheel wells, there will be 2 bolts on each side that hold the front bumper on. Remove the bolts and the bumper will come off.

Later cars 75-76 are different. I don't know them.

whitey
Thanks, that makes sense.

Dave
Trevorg7
I've taken mine off with out jacking it up. Do one side at a time and turn the front wheels to access the nuts.

Good luck.

T
Goober
QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Sep 24 2007, 09:27 PM) *

I've taken mine off with out jacking it up. Do one side at a time and turn the front wheels to access the nuts.

Good luck.

T

agree.gif Easy to do...
bigkensteele
Related HiJack

Does anyone have a method or trick to locate where the holes should be drilled when backdating a car from late bumpers to early? Are there still stampings on the sheetmetal where the early holes were on the later cars?

I have all the parts ready and waiting. All I need now is the time and advice on where to drill.

Thanks,
Ken
Rand
QUOTE(Goober @ Sep 24 2007, 09:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Sep 24 2007, 09:27 PM) *

agree.gif Easy to do...

agree.gif
Yup. I backdated mine without jacking or removing wheels.

Does anyone have a method or trick to locate where the holes should be drilled when backdating a car from late bumpers to early?

There are standard locations. Maybe someone will post those. With my car and bumpers, I needed to mark my own... I put heavy paper tape over the areas the holes needed to go, then lined up my new bumper and pressed it against the car. The studs marked the paper tape and I drilled there. Pulled off the tape and the bumper went right in. But my fiberglass bumpers have studs... Don't know what yours are like. Didn't take a pic when I did the front, but you can see the tape/marks in this shot of the rear...
PeeGreen 914
agree.gif Why not? everyone else does av-943.gif
Chuck
And if the bolts are pretty rusted, as is most likely the case, be careful when removing them as they are likely to break before turning loose. It is cramped in the wheel well and your fingers can and will smack into things and break when that bolt snaps off. Ask me how I know.

On a more serious note, you may need to poke around in there with a light and a screwdriver to remove undercoating before locating the bolts. It also helps if you put some jackstands under the bumper or have a helper support it while removing the bolts so that they don't bind.
rigglet
Related to this topic...

Anyone have pictures of the front of their car with the bumpers removed. I have a rust problem where my bumpers bolt to the car (early bumpers on an early car). I will need to fabricate some sheet metal to replace this as well as new bumper supports, but it's in pretty bad shape and I don't know what it looked like prior to the rust.

Thanks all!
So.Cal.914
Craig, Boxstr (SP?)(camp 914) had a real nice write up on this, I...I see a PM in your future.
boxstr
Okay here come some pics of the front and rear bumper holes.
Use studs on your chrome bumpers. Get threaded studs for them rather than use bolts. It is so much easier to install the bumpers.
Use the dogbones as a measuring guide for the distance between the top and bottom holes. This goes for the front and rear.
boxstr
Here are somemore...
boxstr
Okay that should do it for tonights lesson.
CCLINWELCOMEBACKKOTTER
rigglet
That is exactly what I needed! Thanks boxstr!!
tommyj
Thank you for the post . It might be old but it just helped a guy out who was trying to adjust the pull for the front trunk and tighten it with slack in the cable.. probably not alone !!! Thanks
Montreal914
QUOTE(boxstr @ Sep 25 2007, 08:23 PM) *

Use studs on your chrome bumpers. Get threaded studs for them rather than use bolts. It is so much easier to install the bumpers.

Excellent idea! Thank you for the tip! smile.gif
914sgofast2
Do yourself a big favor and install studs in the front bumper instead of using bolts. It makes removing/reinstalling the front bumper a one person job. You can use the same size studs as are used in the cylinder heads to hold the exhaust manifolds to the heads.Best thing I ever did.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.