Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear shock question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David_S
I started putting my rear suspension back together tonight and decided to see what I had between 3 different cars. The shocks off of this car are Boges. One seems like a decent shock, the other is shot. The 72 that I picked up a couple of months ago has new looking KYBs on it. Don't know what shape they are in. My 76 parts car has Koni adjustables on it. They are marked 9-72 Special D. I went ahead and pulled them off and one has no resistance, the other one I pushed in and now it won't come back out. I tried pulling it out and no luck. Can the Koni's be rebuilt and if so, where?? As bad as I hate to, I may have to run the KYB's for now until I can get a better pair. Thanks in advance !!
craig downs
From what I have read the cost of the rebuild is almost as much as a new set. I to
have some that the seals need to be replaced but I think I'll just buy new instead.
RON S.

Koni's are a lifetime shock as they are rebuildable as many times as you wanna send them off to get them rebuilt.

Truechoice is where I sent mine a couple years back to have rebuilt.

The basic cost was 150.00 per shock plus parts.The final cost was abut 400.00 for the pair.

If you want info,the 800# is in the pic,and ask for Phil when you call.

Ron
purple
does anyone see the problem with that picture?
Joe Ricard
Yea Ron has nicer shocks than most of us. specially with the added adjuster for compression on the bottom.
Shoulda went with the Sperical bearing option.

There is a difference in off the shelf Koni's and what Ron has which when done by true choice the valving can be specially matched to the spring rate of the car.

Start going really fast and you learn them stiff 200 lb springs can be controlled by a OTS Koni sport.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(purple @ Sep 25 2007, 02:40 PM) *

does anyone see the problem with that picture?

I think that is to compinsate for the weight of the driver. Very observant.
purple
the bumper on the lower shock is upside down. As I recall from the miata days, you put this on with the fatter end toward the shock. Supposedly this keeps the bump stops progressive
Aaron Cox
does the bumper orientation really matter... it just gets squished....
Cap'n Krusty
They can't/don't rebuild shocks which have been bottomed out, and there's no warranty for such damage. The Cap'n
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 25 2007, 04:26 PM) *

does the bumper orientation really matter... it just gets squished....

Being a Professor of SQUISHOLOGY I would have to say No (you were lucky I was around Aaron) (Or Not)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.