Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV Joint question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
purple
Hey guys, I was under the car last night and saw something puzzling.

There is a flange on the transaxle that the CV joint mount to. There is a small gap between this flange and the CV joint on both sides. It also looks as if there has been grease flung out of this gap. There is supposed to be a gasket in there isnt there?

Should it be a solid, gap free assembly from the flange all the way to the boot?

Could you guys post a pic of what your CV joints at the tranny look like? I'm really curious to see if the P.O. did yet another shortcut on this car.

Would red RTV work on this in place of a gasket? If indeed there is a gasket supposed to be here
Allan
Paper cv gasket goes between the flange and the joint. IMHO, I wouldn't go the rtv route. Gaskets are cheap and you can get them at just about any bug shop...
Joe Ricard
Word,
Gasket is how it was designed
purple
ordered the gaskets from AA just now.

Now, cue Dr. Evil and his bolts.....

I'll buy them if you show up wink.gif

I guess I should have but the schnorr washers on there too, eh?

So.Cal.914
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=54963

Your way to the dark and EVIL side. shades.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Headrage @ Sep 25 2007, 08:15 AM) *

Paper cv gasket goes between the flange and the joint. IMHO, I wouldn't go the rtv route. Gaskets are cheap and you can get them at just about any bug shop...

You'll be lookin' long and hard for 91`4 CV joint gaskets at a "bug shop", because VWs, for the most part, don't use 'em. There are a few later cars that do, but they're the glue-on internal style, rather than the perimeter style 914s use. Your first clue may be they have a 914 part number, NOT a VW one. The Cap'n
tdgray
Ahhh Crusty as ever... but correct rolleyes.gif
purple
Besides the fact that there arent bug shops as far as I can tell in Houston. The last time I saw one it was in San Antonio at Huebner and Lockhill Selma.

Maybe they dont like the dope smokers that tend to drive bugs in houston stirthepot.gif

I just pm'ed Dr. Evil for some bolts and such.

Cap'n Krusty
While I'm generally opposed to the use of RTV, it works well as a sealer for the CV joint seam. If the parts are clean, dry, and grease free in the area to be sealed, a small bead of RTV (not orange, PLEASE!), works just fine, and you don't have the gasket "crush" problem that some believe "may" cause the bolts to come adrift. The difficulty lies in keeping the joint dry until you get it assembled. The Cap'n
purple
Another question I have in this area... since it's obviously been flinging the grease everywhere and is likely not very lubed, what kind of grease can I use in there? Does it have to be that moly stuff?

I have some marine trailer bearing grease i had planned to use for the front wheel bearings. Does this work in this application? It's pretty much just lithium grease wihout a moly component, but it's breakover point is 500* +F the moly stuff is 350*F

Or do you guys recommend going with any particular type of grease.
And yes, I know not to mix greases. I'll be cleaning in there before I re-grease
Cap'n Krusty
I'd use grease that's speciffically made for CV joint use. Carquest has a nice moly CV joint grease in tubes for about 5 bucks. The gray stuff. If you have a thick wheel bearing grease, I wouldn't use it in a CV joint. In fact, I probably wouldn't use it in a Porsche wheel bearing, either. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.