Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turning on electrical system w/o fuel tank in place
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lavanaut
I just finished reassembling the blower and heater flappers in the front trunk. Before I put the fuel tank back in, I'd like to test to make sure it's working (I replaced the heater controls in the cockpit as well). I started thinking that turning the ignition to the on position might trigger the fuel pump...and that stopped me in my tracks. I'm definitely *not* talking about trying to start the car...just get the electrical going to test the blower up front.

I've got fuel line extensions hooked up to the lines that emerge from the center tunnel, and have those taped off.

Newb out, thanks! smile.gif
So.Cal.914
There is a relay you can pull out on the relay board in the engine compartment.
Rand
You could always pull the power wire off the pump. Or pull the relay or fuse (on relay board in engine compartment).

Edit: Oops. Paul beat me to it.
Cap'n Krusty
If it makes you feel better, just remove the 2 fuel system relays on the engine compartment relay board. If you're not sure which 2, remove all 3. If you have a Pertronix, remove the wire(s) from the 15 (+) terminal of the coil, too. The Cap'n
Lavanaut
Sounds like my "hmmm, wait a second" feeling was correct, glad I checked in here first. Thanks guys for the responses.
Spoke
Even if you have points, it is a good thing to remove the +12V lead off of the coil. If the points are closed and power applied w/o running the engine, large current/large power could be dissipated through the coil.

Spoke
Lavanaut
I just went through this ~ removed relays 74 and 75, and disconnected the coil. Tested my new heater controls, everything's functioning perfectly. I was a bit confused when I saw my relay board was missing a relay...until I read that it's for the rear window defrost. smile.gif

Thanks again!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.