Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ginther windscreen
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
plymouth37
I am converting my teener into a street/open track day car. I have already done away with the side windows, rear glass, targa bar, and top. I am now thinking about a mini windscreen. if I was driving down the highway how crazy would the wind be? I still want to be able to drive the car around town, will a shorty windscreen just get annoying? is there any kind of "tall" gintheresque windscreen out there? if you had to drive a 914 roadster and rain or race class rules were not a concern, what would you put on it? thanks for your help!
Dana. sawzall-smiley.gif
VaccaRabite
check to make sure that would even be street legal?

Zach
plymouth37
I live in wyoming, street legality is not really a priority. I already have 11 potential violations that have gone un-noticed might as well make it an even dozen.
Brando
Lack of windscreen is something quite more noticeable though. Be sure before you're pulling your car out of impound...
plymouth37
just checked with my brother in law who is a wyoming highway patrol officer, according to him as long as the vehicle has a "windshield" no matter how big it is fine, or you can wear goggles instead, no s#it.
so, enough legal crap, how windy is a ginther 914 at say 80 mph?
any racers out there?
Rand
Dang Dana, I'm beginning to miss your car, what's left of it. laugh.gif

I still want to see a profile pic of it in "speedster" form. wink.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 25 2007, 09:38 PM) *

Dang Dana, I'm beginning to miss your car, what's left of it. laugh.gif

I still want to see a profile pic of it in "speedster" form. wink.gif

In due time biggrin.gif
Once the "cleansing" is done I will start a build thread.
Still trying to figure out if I want to rake back the stock windshield or go ginther.
Rand
Hmmm.... Shortened, raked windshield might be cool. Continuing the speedster theme.... Start there, and if you don't like it you can always cut it off and go ginther style!
idea.gif
alpha434
I've raced speedsters with nothing but a little tiny piece of plastic right in front of your face.

Wind isn't too bad. Wear goggles.

What I have noticed, though, is both your lap times and the wind inside the car goes up hysterically without a tonneu (sp?) cover
Kirmizi
You live in Wyoming now, 80 mph is nothing more than a slight breeze.
Project 6
So wear a helmet.
pfierb
I envy you... living in Wyoming..In Connecticut they would give you a ticket have your car towed away and then propose a new tax on cars with short windshields.
davep
You could do what a friend did. Remove the windshield frame in such a way as to reinstall it like a 356 Speedster (pinned), and also use a Ginther screen. He claimed that there was little difference in lap times between them.
geniusanthony
Dana, I am contemplating a speedster as well. Could you post what you have done with your targa area so that I (we) can get an idea of how things look in bare metal or what-not?
plymouth37
QUOTE(geniusanthony @ Oct 30 2007, 11:31 AM) *

Dana, I am contemplating a speedster as well. Could you post what you have done with your targa area so that I (we) can get an idea of how things look in bare metal or what-not?

Once I figure out what I am going to do with that area I will start a build thread. I am more of an impulsive builder, cut somthing then figure out how to make it look good!
Scott Carlberg
Didn't Rich Bontempi's racer have Little or No Windshield?

You could try calling/PM/Emailing Rich at High Performance House in Redwood City, CA
flesburg
One big june bug in the teeth at 80 mph, and you will think a windshield is a marvelous thing. You will need more that goggles.

I have thought about a ginther screen on the DE car, but honestly with the requirements for a roll cage I think they actually look better with a top in place.

I also know that without a rear glass, the engine noise cancels any conversation without shouting at each other.

Guess you can tell that I do DE events with a windshield and rear window and the top in place.

A car with a ginther screen and no roll cage, and the roll bar removed would be good looking for "cruse ins" but not for high speed driving.

Just my 2c worth.
Aaron Cox
mike zois had a 356 with a mini windshield....

i only got it up to about 55mph, and it felt like riding a motorcycle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.