Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake light always on.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonferns
ok, stupid for not noticing this in the 5 or so months that we have owned this car....

once you put the key in the ignition, and turn it a little bit, the brake lights come on....and when you step on the brake, nothing changes....not brighter (or dimmer)...

this is always like this, car on or off.....brake switch? any ideas? thanks alot -JON biggrin.gif
904svo
Check the brake light switch which is located on the pedal ass'y. There's a arm which should operated a switch. Chance's are that in not making contact, the arm
is not in contact with the large washer to the master cylinder. The brade switch may also be bad.

Cap'n Krusty
Actually, the arm of the switch should be on the side of the washer AWAY from the master cylinder (i.e., toward the driver), ans loses contact with that washer when the pedal is depressed, allowing the lever to move away from the driver ans turn the light on. I'd suggest that maybe the switch arm is on the wrong side of the washer, allowing it to be in the on position all the time. Easily fixed, once you see how it is under there. The Cap'n
ConeDodger
Often this is the first thing people notice when the master cylinder has leaked brake fluid into the peddle cluster and toasted it. The bushings swell and the brake light will stay on because the peddle doesn't quite disengage from the brake light switch. See if pulling it up with your toe shuts it off. Pull up the carpet and look for wet floor. sad.gif

If this is the case, you have to replace the master cylinder and rebuild the cluster. Good luck...
jonferns
pulled up the pedal with good force, but nothing changed...will take a look at it tomorrow...
euro911
I had the same exact problem ... I accidentaly bent the arm/blade (whatever) from the brake switch assy when I was working on my pedal cluster & installing a new M/C.

I just gently bent it back to the proper location and all was good.
jonferns
icon_bump.gif
So.Cal.914
Did you try adjusting it?

If I remember correctly its a slotted stud with a lock nut.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
something to consider is that you said car on or car off. Does that mean the brake lights are on when the key is in the pocket? If so it makes one think that there is a short feeding the lights as the brake lights do not operate unless the key is on. If key on only then the switch like said above is on the wrong side of the washer or is bad
type11969
Happened in my Beetle, lights always on, the switch was bad and the bad switch was warm to the touch. I was lazy and simply axed that second switch out of the circuit. Brake lights work fine now.
rhodyguy
p129 of your haynes.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.