Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Taking my wife to Manhattan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbergtho
I promised my wife I would take her to Manhattan as soon as she finished a triathlon. Well she just finished one a few weeks ago and now I'm making good on my promise. I also bought 2 tickets to her favorite rock band...the Scorpions and they will be playing the Beacon Theatre on the upper West side the night we arrive (tommorrow...wednesday Sep 26th).

We'll have some time to sight see in the city that never sleeps and would like to ask you guys/gals what you might suggest we do or see there besides the obvious Central Park, Times SQ, Statue of Liberty, Empire State building, etc. confused24.gif I'm looking for good places to eat, "hole in the wall places" that are great fun. beerchug.gif That sort of thing. I've never been to NY and would like to experience the steel jungle at least once. smile.gif The friggin hotel prices are ridiculous!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions in advance!

Bill
Krieger
drunk.gif Mc Sorley's Irish Pub. Can't remember the spelling, but the place is really old and really cool. I don't remember where but it was a blast!
orthobiz
If she likes shopping, go on 5th Avenue, start at 42nd street and head north. You'll pass Rockefeller Center, at around 55th St you'll see the skating rink (of course no ice now) on your right, you will have passed St Patrick's Cathedral.

Go West on 57th st and around 7th Ave get a pastrami sandwich at Carnegie Deli, right across from Carnegie Hall. Wait on line and do not go to the deli across the street. Have a half sour pickle, they are fresh and are the best.

Find a Ray Bari's and get an "original Ray's Pizza." Order by the slice, don't go for any "personal pan pizza" bullshit. Unfortunately, they all claim to be the original Ray's but Ray Bari is considered the original original. Either that or stop by any little pizza place and you probably won't go wrong. Don't ask for Brooklyn style or NY style 'cause you're already IN NY!!!!

Go to H&H Bagel (somewhere on the upper east side). Ask for "what's hot," meaning what just came out of the oven. Eat it plain, with butter or cream cheese to let the flavor come through.

Statue of Liberty is OK but you will spend all day ferrying yourself out there. Then, you spend 90 percent of the time behind her, wasn't my favorite.

Ride the subway: you can go to the 80's where H&H Bagel is and you'll take the 4/5/6 line (pretty safe) and you'll be able to say you did it.

Go see a play. Monty Python's Spamalot was a complete hoot.

Go to the Living Room just below Houston Street. You'll see some real talented rock groups, probably four or five, for pennies PLUS no smoking anywhere in NY, not even the bars. Probably cost 3 or 4 bucks.

Pick up a copy of TimeOut magazine from the nearest vendor as soon as you hit the street: best selection of all entertainment in the city.

If you're into records, go to 8th St and 2nd Ave (St Mark's Place). Walk west to third ave, lots of fun punk shops, CD's, vinyl, local color. Get some funky food at DoJo's cheap. Maybe even get a felafel if you haven't had one. Continue to 4th Ave, cross over Broadway and find Sullivan St by Washington Square, more record stores there.

Have fun!

Paul
rmital
Glenn Sager from Pelican Parts (888 280-7799 x240) just spent a week in Manhattan with his family this past August. I'm sure he'd share with you some of the "hole in the wall places" he found.

orthobiz/Paul gave you some good ideas....I actually put together a 40 page package of all the usual stuff with details if you'd like me to forward/email it to you.
TimT
for pizza try garabaldis, it located on the Bkln side just about at the base of the Brooklyn Bridge. If you get downtown you can walk across the bridge, which is a great experience beautiful views. Then walk down to Garabaldis eat, then take some nice pics fo the bridge with the downtown skyline in the background. There is a waterfront park under the bridge. Also great pizza can be had at Patsies in Midtown (61st and 3rd?) Umbertos in Little Italy. If you decide on chinatown, avoid the resturants that the tour companies steer the tours to.

Also if your downtown.... I believe they still have the "Bodies" display at the South Street Seaport. It the human body and all its systems preserved.. very fascinating.

If you want to see the statue, just take the Staten Island ferry for a quick round trip. Its cheap, and you wont wait on the lines to get to Ellis/Liberty Isl.

The Museums are fantastic. MoMA and Natural History are worthy stops.

The village is neat, but the new bohemian areas are Williamsburg/Greenpoint.

To get a nice skyline view with less hassle than the Empire State, go to Top Of the Rock. Rockefeller Center is a nice stop also.... some very high end shopping in that area

There is so much to see and do. Ive lived nearby my whole life and still discover cool places and things in NYC

Unfortunately it looks like rain thursday and friday
wbergtho
QUOTE(rmital @ Sep 25 2007, 06:30 PM) *

Glenn Sager from Pelican Parts (888 280-7799 x240) just spent a week in Manhattan with his family this past August. I'm sure he'd share with you some of the "hole in the wall places" he found.

orthobiz/Paul gave you some good ideas....I actually put together a 40 page package of all the usual stuff with details if you'd like me to forward/email it to you.
Rmital,

Thanks orthobiz, Krieger914 and TimT! I'd appreciate seeing the 40 page package. My e-mail address is wbergtho@pressenter.com Thanks again!

Bill
iamchappy
My sister used to date one of the Scorpions...
wbergtho
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Sep 25 2007, 07:22 PM) *

My sister used to date one of the Scorpions...

Hey Chap,

That's interesting! Ask her which one?
richardmosselman
Take one of the 'round the island' boat tours. You get to see everything from a neat perspective. (It also goes around the Statue of Liberty). We were there last Christmas. Cheers, Richard
effutuo101
"Go West on 57th st and around 7th Ave get a pastrami sandwich at Carnegie Deli, right across from Carnegie Hall. Wait on line and do not go to the deli across the street. Have a half sour pickle, they are fresh and are the best."

agree.gif
Then after you get done for the night, Gyros or Schwarmas from the street vendors. The W has a great bar. Spend some time during the day in Soho. spend as much time as you can in the City. It is worth every dime you spend.
From a personal standpoint, the Memorial. Have fun and always remember.
turboman808
I don't go into Manhattan to much anymore except for work. The only thing I really do enjoy in Manhattan is going to the Burlesque shows. Down in the village their is a series of them within a few blocks that start an hour off of one another.

It's alot of fun and alot of locals and you leave with a real feel of you witnessed something that it truly part of Manhattan culture not to many get to see. First one is at Bar on ave A at 10pm. Look for my friend Stormy she is smoking hot.

I just finished working on the DVD for Shafer the Dark Lord whi is a famous Burlesque MC so I guess I am a bit more invovled in it then I want to admit.

Another thing everyone should do is rent bicycles to ride around central park. If your into running every runner should circle Central Park at least once in their life.

For the real hard core nut jobs NOTHING beats racing down Manhattan Streets on a bicycle breaking laws and running from cops and just being a regular asshole. One of the biggest rushes you will ever experience.

Doesn't Richie have a restaurant in Manhattan???
TimT
Also: The UN circus is in town.. moving anywhere on the east side around the UN will be near impossible.

McSorleys is on East 7th St, just down the block from Cooper Union, 2 lights, 2 darks and cheese platter w/onion is a nice snack beer3.gif Note all the handcuffs in various places around the bar... It was a right of passage for rookie police officers...Woman werent allowed into Mcsorleys until the mid '70s,and there used to be only one restroom. They finally built a ladies room in the mid '80s I think...

When work slowed down during the winter I spent more than one afternoon there next to the potbelly stove
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(richardmosselman @ Sep 25 2007, 08:36 PM) *

Take one of the 'round the island' boat tours. You get to see everything from a neat perspective. (It also goes around the Statue of Liberty). We were there last Christmas. Cheers, Richard

agree.gif

Went a few weeks ago, had a good time and saw and learned alot. The UN is in session and they have it buttoned up I heard. But you will get to see it from the water.

But be careful, I came here the middle of July...And I can't get out...
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
rmital
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Sep 25 2007, 10:39 PM) *

QUOTE(rmital @ Sep 25 2007, 06:30 PM) *

Rmital,

Thanks orthobiz, Krieger914 and TimT! I'd appreciate seeing the 40 page package. My e-mail address is wbergtho@pressenter.com Thanks again!

Bill

email sent...let me know when your coming out.
nycchef

[/quote]

yes i do . hill country bbq 30 west 26th street. i will email you my #. give me a call rich
rmital
[quote name='nycchef' date='Sep 26 2007, 10:14 AM' post='950045']
[/quote]

yes i do . hill country bbq 30 west 26th street. i will email you my #. give me a call rich
[/quote]

oh yeah...NYCchef (Rich) could feed you....me too hopefully
turboman808
QUOTE(nycchef @ Sep 26 2007, 06:14 AM) *

Dam I didn't know you were doing BBQ!!! Hell I am a huge BBQ fan. I've flown to Texas, KCK and Nashville for concerts and BBQ many times. smile.gif

I think I have your number. I will have to check it out next time I am in Manhattan.
zymurgist
I know next to nothing about Manhattan, but I know if I was there on a Monday night, I would try like hell to see Les Paul in concert.

Iridium Jazz Club
iamchappy
My sister Jenny dated Herman the drummer, things kinda fell apart when Vanity wanted to have a threesome with her and Herman.

My sister Julie dated Don Henley of the Eagles and Freebo from Bonnie Raitt among others. Finally settled down with Bob Bingham from Lamont Cranston.

Jenny settled down with Jeff Linskey Jazz guitarist but is now divorced, he ran off with the daughter of the owner of the San Diego Chargers.....

I partied with my sisters and quite a few bands in the day.
Dr. Roger
Pics!, Pics!, Pics!, Pics!, Pics!, Pics!, Pics!, Pics!, ... =-P
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.