Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1972 Factory 3.6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chuck
Has anyone else seen this '72 "factory" 3.6 on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...sspagenameZWDVW

Rusty
Interesting car. VIN is correct for a factory 72 914-6.

Needs more pics. idea.gif

Eric_Shea
It's been kicking around for a while now. Was at a dealership in Reno. They wanted big bucks (over 30k) for it and, they had the wrong VIN on it. I went round with the dealership at the time and had to send them import data and VIN info. The ad they had listed a -4 VIN.

Did the seller simply say <<Sorry no>> when asked to send hell hole and long pics? That's a really stupid response when trying to sell a car of this caliber.

I would be "very" suspicious because of the VIN deal...
Dave_Darling
When I saw it in Reno, it did indeed have the correct VIN for a 1972 914-6. No drivetrain at the time, though. I've got a couple of pictures around here somewhere...

--DD
Gint
agree.gif I have the same pics that Dave took when we saw the car at the 2002 wramble. It's a 72, has the correct vin stamped on top of the right front fender where it's supposed to be. It was 5 years ago that I saw though.
Luke M
No way thats a 3.6 in that car. for 1 it has a mag case , also look at the chain housings and heads not a 3.6 . idea.gif
agree.gif seller not being really truthful.
jtf914
QUOTE(Luke M @ Sep 26 2007, 09:03 AM) *

No way thats a 3.6 in that car. for 1 it has a mag case , also look at the chain housings and heads not a 3.6 . idea.gif
agree.gif seller not being really truthful.

Yeah, a 3.6 with a sump plate hmm....
Chuck
I brought it up because the way the ad is written, it makes it sound like the car came from the factory with a 3.6 "not a conversion". dry.gif That's misleading to those who don't know any better.
Eric_Shea
agree.gif Sounds like they have the VIN resolved and in fact, the dealership did provide a proper 72 VIN but it was hard to explain how it got here to the States. Now we see it was a French delivery which makes more sense.

Again... a lot of misleading info here. They've got some serious bucks in it me thinks.
jaminM3
I think the reason he said "NO" to that one person is his email address indicates he is in Germany. Maybe he doesn't want to ship to Germany confused24.gif

If it isn't a 3.6 what is it?
carr914
About the limit of a Mag case is 2.9 liters. And that would be stressing the crap out of the case. I'm building a 2.8 Twin-plug and using an early aluminum case. I would like to know where this seller got his motor info? I just fired off a question to the seller regarding the motor size. Lets see what he says

T.C.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Just the fact that it is a 72 six makes it worth a ton. Only made 260 of them (we have 240 and 258) so the rarity factor is the key to the value.
carr914
George, Now that we have broken the ice, I guess I'm asking what you think a ton is in greenbacks. #1 I thought you were an originality guy (Does this car have anything original besides the Vin?). In my opinion this is just a Hot Rod someone made out of an original six. Yes it's a six, yes I want another six, but not this one at this price. Add to fact the seller seems to be a little shy with his answers. I would rather have had the six with the limited-slip project that you had back in June.

T.C.
SirAndy
note that it isn't twin plug either ...
stirthepot.gif Andy
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Hi T.C. You are dead on the money I AM an originality guy, but also a rarity guy. The fact that this IS a 72 model (body!) makes the car extremely rare and would be worth buying just for that and restoring, selling the engine to a hotrodder to cover some of the expense. As you probably know the 72 six cylinders had the vented dash and the volkswagen key switch in the column with the two speed wiper motor, and the movable seat. A real vwb looking 914!
So, as far as having a real six the 70 is the best choice for price. With 441 71 models made and as stated previously 260 72 models, collectors will bid up the prices for the same quality car just because of the year difference

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 26 2007, 03:06 PM) *

George, Now that we have broken the ice, I guess I'm asking what you think a ton is in greenbacks. #1 I thought you were an originality guy (Does this car have anything original besides the Vin?). In my opinion this is just a Hot Rod someone made out of an original six. Yes it's a six, yes I want another six, but not this one at this price. Add to fact the seller seems to be a little shy with his answers. I would rather have had the six with the limited-slip project that you had back in June.

T.C.

carr914
But George, How can anyone justify $23,5K and counting for a car worth buying and restoring. Restoration costs (a plus for ever finding the original motor) would easily top 25k. Used hotrod stuff is always a gamble and buyers usually pay as such, so recoupment might bring 5-8K, I see a deep hole for that route.

T.C.
carr914
I also in my opinion don't believe in price differences in Real sixes relating to what year they were made. Granted that they made more in 70 than 71 and then less in 72. It is now about availability and condition. Then price. I think that they made more in 70 means there are more original owners who would want their old cars back and may now be in a financial position to do so.

T.C.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 26 2007, 04:29 PM) *

I also in my opinion don't believe in price differences in Real sixes relating to what year they were made. Granted that they made more in 70 than 71 and then less in 72. It is now about availability and condition. Then price. I think that they made more in 70 means there are more original owners who would want their old cars back and may now be in a financial position to do so.

T.C.

What drives the price up (and yes I have bid on this car over 22) is collectors who buy rarity and really don't even care about actually driving the car. Just want something rare in their garage that they can keep and resell at a later date for as much or more money! Like the guy in Asheville who recently purchased the 914-6 gt on the front cover of Brett's 914 restorer's guide. He just stored the car away and is not driving it! Figured it was a small numbers made car and cheap compared to other Porsche factory racing cars so bought it!

Back in the early 90's I bought six no 9142430240 because it was the so called last one made and paid back then 25 grand when all of the rest were going for 10 thousand!
You are right, if you want a great 914-6 to drive paying excessively for a 71 or 72 is stupid
Project 6
Kind of a rat if you ask me.
Project 6
More.

GeorgeRud
That rust coming from the sills seems to spell "fright pig"!
carr914
EvilBay auction over - reserve not met - dream on

T.C.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.