Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV axle won't budge!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bogaat
I am having a hard time getting the shaft off the the outer flange. One side was a little tricky, but I was able to yank it off with a little force. This worried me a bit due to pressure on the joint. Any trick to getting these things off? I was thinking I might be able to access it from the outside with the wheel off? Not sure how I can get anything in there to pry it off from the inside. Thoughts/experience? Thanks guys...
beer3.gif
So.Cal.914
All I can tell you is how I did it, this is by no means the only way. I took a piece of

2" steel plumbing pipe, 8" long, cut a notch out the long ways so it will fit over the

axle. Now you have a slide hammer to convince the axle to come off. Slide the

dust boot from the inside CV towards the outer CV so it won't get damaged. Slide

on the piece of pipe you cut onto the axle and use it as a slide hammer agains't

the inner CV...Few good wacks and it pops off.

At least it does for me. Good Luck.
Bogaat
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 26 2007, 11:01 AM) *

All I can tell you is how I did it, this is by no means the only way. I took a piece of

2" steel plumbing pipe, 8" long, cut a notch out the long ways so it will fit over the

dust boot from the inside CV towards the outer CV so it won't get damaged. Slide

on the piece of pipe you cut onto the axle and use it as a slide hammer agains't

It sounds like that would get the CV off the the axle, but what about the axle (with the CVs attached) off of the car (and out of the outer flange). I figured I might have a hard time explaining this one. Obviously, I have removed the 4 bolts. Thanks for the input, but back up another step. biggrin.gif
Allan
If your talking about getting the axle out of the trailing arm bearing, brute force may be required.

BFH + Brass punch...
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Bogaat @ Sep 26 2007, 08:28 AM) *

It sounds like that would get the CV off the the axle, but what about the axle (with the CVs attached) off of the car (and out of the outer flange). I figured I might have a hard time explaining this one. Obviously, I have removed the 4 bolts. Thanks for the input, but back up another step. biggrin.gif

This was the exact reason I made that tool. The CV is attached to the axle, so with the slide hitting the inner CV, the outer, still attached to the flange will pop out with some good wacks. Works as a slide hammer, if you understand what I mean.
Bogaat
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 26 2007, 11:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Bogaat @ Sep 26 2007, 08:28 AM) *

This was the exact reason I made that tool. The CV is attached to the axle, so with the slide hitting the inner CV, the outer, still attached to the flange will pop out with some good wacks. Works as a slide hammer, if you understand what I mean.

Aah...I get it. Thanks man. I will give that try. I have a bunch of old pipe from fence posts I can use. Great idea beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.