Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dumb question but I do not have a manual yet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JOE M
I was just curious where to fill and drain the tranny in a 72` tail shifter. Also do I use gear oil or is there something specific? I just replaced all the shift bushings and the shifter has little lateral play now , but while I am at it I think I should replace the fluid. I dont know when or if it has been done .I got the car a month ago. I ordered a book (Haynes) but it has not come in yet.
Trevorg7
there are two allen bolts on the right (starboard) side of the tranny. the lower one to drain and the upper to fill. you will need a large allen wrench; iirc it is a 17m. most bug shops should have one. i would suggest getting a pump to fill it back up. i've used swepco in the past and it works well.

hope this helps.

T
So.Cal.914
On the pass side of the trans are two plugs, one above the other. Remove the top

one first, pan underneath and remove the lower one. Let it drain. Replace lower plug. And fill from upper.

I use a good 90w gearlube.
Allan
Make sure the top fill plug will come out prior to draining the tranny.... smile.gif
angerosa
I asked the same question a few weeks back and have yet to procure the 17 mm hex socket. I also changed all the cups, bushings and what-nots in my shift linkage. That firewall one was a pain but I just banged it in with a hammer. Shifting is tighter but still feels like (I have to give someone esle credit for this one - I saw this on the board) a hot dog sitting in a bowl of oatmeal. Mine gearbox get tighter as the engine gets warm. Hence I need to check the fluid level.
JOE M
QUOTE(angerosa @ Sep 26 2007, 08:25 AM) *

I asked the same question a few weeks back and have yet to procure the 17 mm hex socket. I also changed all the cups, bushings and what-nots in my shift linkage. That firewall one was a pain but I just banged it in with a hammer. Shifting is tighter but still feels like (I have to give someone esle credit for this one - I saw this on the board) a hot dog sitting in a bowl of oatmeal. Mine gearbox get tighter as the engine gets warm. Hence I need to check the fluid level.

"a hot dog sitting in a bowl of oatmeal" funny funny funny. My linkage feels much better but I need to put my exhaust back on so I can test it. I think I need to add some more grease around the bushings because it feels kind of tight. I still think getting from 1st to 2nd is going to be tough because it seems like it wants to go towards reverse. Maybe I need to play with the linkage a little to optimize the position. I think a test drive will prove it out.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(JOE M @ Sep 26 2007, 09:34 AM) *

"a hot dog sitting in a bowl of oatmeal" funny funny funny. My linkage feels much better but I need to put my exhaust back on so I can test it. I think I need to add some more grease around the bushings because it feels kind of tight. I still think getting from 1st to 2nd is going to be tough because it seems like it wants to go towards reverse. Maybe I need to play with the linkage a little to optimize the position. I think a test drive will prove it out.

Adding grease can be problematic, the grease will collect roadgrime, sand, dirt and turn it self into a jewelers rouge type of substance. Like sandpaper. Not good on moving parts. Just my .02

Oh and 1st to 2nd is a finesse...Thing. It came with driving the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.