Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT 2004 Hemi Durango
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
My truck is starting to worry me again, and I've spent way too much money on repairs in the last 4000 miles, so I'm thinking about a 2004 Dodge Durango with a Hemi in it. Has anyone got one? If so, what are your initial thoughts. Since they were just introduced Nov. 15, I know there won't be any long-term info.

IPB Image

Thanks,
Sean
eresener
Sean,
Although the Durango has a HEMI...it is nothing like the new 67 HEMI GTX I owned when I lived in INDY. It came with 14.5:1 CR and dual quads. I made more money on the street (38th and Fall Creek) near the old T/P Resturant...with that car...street racing in Indy was huge from early 63- 70's...I am very fond of those muscle car years there....many memories...

Remember...never by a first year car...too many bugs to work out...if you need a truck...get a truck...
seanery
my dad used to have a 64 Plymouth factory lightweight car he used to run at IRP & 38/fall creek! My mom used to drive a 69 Z28 a little later. They both were fast. Dad used to tape a $100 bill to the dash (this is 1964, 65) and tell the guy if you can grab it you can have it LOL. Never lost one!

I've got a Range Rover now, so, really I need a new SUV. I'm not totally afraid of the new car, first year thing. I get employee pricing and really I'm afraid of getting stranded this winter in the damn Lucas Electrical system truck.

I was gonna buy an 03 Durango last feb, but one of the salesman let the cat out of the bag about the Hemi and I waited. I've driven the truck and it's nice AND it gets better mileage than the RR.
Brad Roberts
Yeah.. I'm not quite sure why you want a Durango style vehicle (buy a new Dodge truck and install a shell on it if you need storage/hauling. Buy a crew cab. I love the look of the new Dodge trucks. Fords look good also. I think Chevy struck out. The look doesnt do it for me.

B
seanery
I want inside storage for shit. I HATE truck beds. When I had one before it was EVERYONE's garbage can, and, well the weather here can suck for 6 months or so, so I like taking things like Christmas gifts and whatnot in a dry/warm atmosphere.
Brad Roberts
I pack everything into the into the back seat area.. the bed does become a trash can (but wouldnt with a topper) Last time I checked the Durango had terrible visibilty (cant see past the A pillar) makes intersections fun. Does Dodge offer anything the size of a Tahoe or Surbanban ? The Durango (for me) still screams MINI TRUCK.

B
seanery
Dood. It's brand new this year. It's longer than the RR, but a tad narower inside. It's a good size for me. It'll take a full size sheet of plywood/drywall inside laying flat.
Brad Roberts
I havent seen them yet. I figured it was bigger. Can you get it with 20's on it ?

B
seanery
I asked the dealer. Cause the Ram trucks have 20's. He didn't know. I'm not too sure about doing it. I think I fried my wheel bearings on the RR by putting on the 19's from the 03 RR. Is that possible in less than 6 months?
Malmz
Wish they didn't make it look so much like a mini van with the new body...

Good strong trucks though, and bigger this year.

sm
Brad Roberts
Yes. Steve nailed it. It looks like a bigger version of the Dodge Caravan (I know Sean wants to hear this..LOL)

I dont think your 19's helped the wheel bearings to fail. If the offset had changed ..I would think differently.

B
Brad Roberts
Have you seen the Viper powered truck ?? I mean real Viper engine.. not the last one they tried. Viper V10 and the 6 speed.

CRAZY fast truck.

B
Malmz
Yep, show truck. (searching the brain...) Called something like a Venom or Serpant or ???? Grrrr, now I'm going to have to look it up...

sm
seanery
what I was hoping for was valuable insight from an 04 owner. I knew I'd get "shoulda this and shoulda that" I like the way it looks. I like the hemi, sounds great. I like the way it drives. It gets better mileage than the RR, too. I was just curious if 200 miles down the road the sunroof falls offf or something. LOL
Brad Roberts
This one is on the sale literature that just arrived at the dealerships. Did they take a concept truck and make it real ??

This one has the look of the new RAM trucks but is V10 powered.

Pretty damn slick.

B
Qarl
I sat in one at the Auto show here in Orlando last month. I wasn't impressed.

The inside seemed very cheap and plasticy

I obviously didn't drive one around the convention hall floor, but I probably won't go look at them again unless they improve the inside a bit.
Malmz
I think they did more then one... Here is one of them:

http://www.edmunds.com/news/conceptcarspot...64/article.html

Going to be selling my V8 Dakota soon. Need something a little bigger for the enclosed trailer. (Shameless Plug) 1995 SLT, V8, 50k miles, Auto, 4 wheel ABS, Rear Locker, Tow package, 2002 Wheels, Topper, all options. 7 grand range due to one rear fender that deserves a better repair and the beginnings of typical 90s paint flaking on the roof........

sm
Malmz
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 25 2003, 04:56 PM)
This one is on the sale literature that just arrived at the dealerships. Did they take a concept truck and make it real ??

This one has the look of the new RAM trucks but is V10 powered.

Pretty damn slick.

B

Yep, looks like they went to limited production.

sm
seanery
yeah, Karl, the interior materials aren't the same as the RR, but they aren't GM plasticy. I know Dodge builds tough trucks. That damn RR is turning into a big money pit and it's pissing me off.
Brad Roberts
Sean.. these are 914 owners. I'm doubting highly that anyone on this particular BBS has a new 04 Durango to give you "valuable information" on.

The above "statement" will bring them out of the woodwork if they exist on this site.

Buy a real truck. You will need something to haul tires/wheels in and the back of a Dodge Caravan isnt going to cut it. mueba.gif

B
Brad Roberts
Um.. I think the plastic vehicles are the bottom end FORD trucks.

Lyressa's Tahoe and my crew cab have nice interiors. Very little plastic. The door panels have cloth inserts and the head liners are cloth.

B
seanery
LOL! Very funny. I've hauled ahelluvalottashit in the RR. I don't expect I'll treat a Durango any different.
I really don't want a pickemup truck. I debated a new Ram or F150 and just think it's not me, at all. period. SUV is the ticket. period.
eresener
Sean,
Ask your Dad if he knew the girl from the Broad Ripple Frisches who drove the Vette w/ the sticker on the rear bumper..."If you beat me...you eat me". That was one bad 65 fuely Vette...she was hot.... I don't think she EVER lost...

Also, ask him if he remembers Merrills High Decker across from the fairgrounds entrance or the Pole on west 16th st....many a street racing dollar exchanged hands on friday/saturday night on west 16th and 38th streets. Prior to the HEMI my 1st car was a 50 Chevy Coupe' w/ a 53 Vette motor......when gas was $.21/gallon...that was the good life...
boxstr
Sean If you buy a new 04 Dodge you will have a warranty that will help you to get your sunroof reinstalled, as long as it factroy.
The 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee has been a really great workhorse, pull cars here and there and hauling you name it. Plus the roof rack.
The Jeep has a V8, it is fast, and it has alot of creature comforts. This is my 3rd Jeep SUV since my first BIG 84 Jeep Grand Wagoner.
They work for me, because I don't need a big SUBY type hauler.
Just my 2 cents worth.
CCLINJEEPSTERVILLE
rick 918-S
The wife has a 2000 Nissan Exterra. She has been saying she wants a Hemi. I'd rather see her get a Ford Turbo Desiel Crew cab. I need something to tow the Alien to the West Coast Classic. I don't think the Exterra will make the mountains. Oh well, guess I'll have to drive it.
swood
Sean, I've got the '03 Ram Crew Cab Hemi and really love it. These trucks are way different than Chev and Ford in MHO. I had a '94 Ram when the new body style came out and loved that one too. Not a single problem in 100K Mi+.

Love the new Hemi. Of course it's not the old Hemi, and most guys know how many modern cars these days have "hemi" combustion chambers (Toyota). Dodge has a great product and I think the Ram Crew cab is very roomy and very comfortable. The one thing I don't like is that it bounces all over the bad roads here. Need a couple hundred pounds in the back to tame it.

Do what B said and get one and put a shell on it. I got mine for 21K which is a great price for what I got.

And believe me that thing launches in a major way between 3 and 4500 RPM. clap56.gif

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
S
seanery
Craig,

I've thought about a Grand Cherokee, my dad, cousin & a good friend all have one. I like them, and can get a fantastic deal on one right now, Employee price + 4,000 in rebates = $10k off sticker, but I just don't feel like it's me. I tried, trust me, but it feels a bit cramped inside to me. The RR has a huge, airy feel to the interior, so I'm spoiled in that area. I don't wanna 'burb or excursion or even an expedition, the Durango feels like the right size. I'm actually very sold on the truck as long as nothing horrible comes up, which I doubt it will. I'll probably have to order one, because I'm really picky about what options I want and especially don't want. It seems like everyone wants to sell me a DVD video system for the back seat. blink.gif I want Leather, Sunroof, LSD, Tow Package, Side Airbags & heated seats. I don't care about the others.
swood
Gotta have dual dvd screens, fired up even when driving alone. Spinners, (why I don't know) big dual exhuast on the Hemi is awesome, and might as well drop it while your at it. Take out a couple rear leafs to tame it down a bit. That's the shizzle bizzle!

Just kidding. I think the truck is really roomy and comfy. Buy one. Tomorrow. The Durango looks pretty weak. The old model was to dinky anyways.

Or go H2.

Just my .02
Pnambic
Car and Driver's take on it....here.

I kinda like the Toureg, but obviously, to each their own. smile.gif

I know there was recently a big issue with part of the front suspension on the previous version Dakota/Durango. I haven't read anything that told me whether the new versions share this design flaw or not.

A coworker of mine rolled his '02 Dakota 7 times on I-70 out by the airport earlier this year. Walked away with just a few scratches. So if there is a truck I was going to roll at 70 mph, I guess the Durango would be at the top of my list!
laugh.gif driving.gif
cnavarro
That and a Land Rover Discover. My father-in-law rolled it on a country road doing ~50mph in IN pulling a 24ft trailer loaded with 2 karmann ghias-- went head on into a ditch about 5 ft deep and barrel rolled the whole bit 3 times. I was driving behind and saw the whole thing. I nearly shit a brick. He kicked out the sunroof and climbed out, not even bruised. Side note, not a single piece of glass broke. Only one of the skylights popped out and flew about 10 ft into a corn field. He instantly bought another one as did my parents when they replaced their last SUV.

I'm with brad, buy a real truck. F350 dually turbo diesel 6L crew cab, with the king ranch package. It's bad ass!

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
r_towle
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Dec 25 2003, 06:30 PM)
The wife has a 2000 Nissan Exterra. She has been saying she wants a Hemi. I'd rather see her get a Ford Turbo Desiel Crew cab. I need something to tow the Alien to the West Coast Classic. I don't think the Exterra will make the mountains. Oh well, guess I'll have to drive it.

laugh.gif laugh.gif
More pics on the web site....show the progress (if any) wink.gif
Joe Ricard
Hemi....Shemi I think it is all a bunch of crap. Dodge is trying to link the awesome power and reputation of the early 426 HEMI to some small block 360 that got a redesigned cylinder head.

Show me 500 HP and matching axle twisting torque. Real Hemi. Just like Porsches there is no substitute.

78 928 silver 5 speed
74 2.0 teener charred and in parts looking for a new home piece by piece.
70 1.7L yellow teener trying to find a way to my garage.
94 Exporer Better last forever.
88 K car "just won't die".
Rgreen914
Brad is speaking of the new Dodge Ram SRT-10, with the aluminum 8.3 litre Viper engine and 6-speed tranny (and 4.11 Dana 60 rear end). At about $46,000, hardly a bargain for a truck that can only carry a "few hundred pounds"!

"Four Wheeler" Magazine says that the Dodge Durango (with 5.7 litre Hemi) has a "major lack of under- chassis clearance was a major sore point" for their drivers and "the power output...was adequate at best...(and) not as powerful as expected". Petersen's "4Wheel & Off-Road" Magazine says the Durango felt "like it was crossbred with a Dodge Caravan to form a watered-down SUV". They also complained of the vehicle's acceleration, loss of ground clearance and lament the lack of any kind of limited slip.

I'm only 6'1'' and can tell you there is NO headroom in either the VW Touareg or the Hummer H2, especially one with a sunroof!
Brad Roberts
What did you decide Sean ??

Interesting comments from the penut gallery.

I personally think he had already ordered one before we spoke up...LOL

B
seanery
I went to the autoshow today to see if there was anything else that piqued my interest. Just the same stuff that I already liked, the Toureg is nice, so is the Cayenne and H2 is big, but not inside. I'm gonna order a Durango on Tuesday, I believe. The F150s are nice, but 40k for a pickemup truck ohmy.gif no 'efin way!
cnavarro
40 grand, woa that's cheap for a 350 dually king cab diesel, I think they are going for round 60k. I agree, it's silly stupid. I'd rather have a brand new discovery and a 356 or 911 than a single pickup truck.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
Pnambic
Ack! That's right! I forgot the show was in Indy this week. And here I am up in LaPorte.
Its not as big as Detroit or Chicago, but its beter than sitting around cleaning up Christmas decoractions.
seanery
I'll give you all the details. Indy's car show sucks!
The only cool displays were:
1. PT Cruiser Convertible (looks like a biiiig VW Cabrio) nice
2. Red Chevy SSR was cool
3. Ford Tonka truck was bitchin'
then the rest was like walking from dealer to dealer.

I used to go to the LA Auto Show when I lived there and it just points out how bad our show really is. LA has a vendor area underneath the main show and all the manufacturers support the LA show where Indy's is dealer sponsored. Tom Gay Wood won't even let you in any of the Porsche's, Audi's, Rovers...why even show up dickweeds?

Oh well. Maybe I'll go to the Chicago show.

Charles, by the way, that 40k truck is an F150, not a big boy. It was a gas 4x4 non dually king cab with their off road package.
Pnambic
BTW, it looks like the 2004 Durango has had the front ball joints redesigned, so hopefully no more rollovers.

NHTSA Action number: PEO3032
redshift
QUOTE(seanery @ Dec 28 2003, 12:07 PM)
2. Red Chevy SSR was cool

Hey, hargray2 knows someone with a yellow SSR.

heh

M
fuch toy
Well, MY F350 is not new....but it is a crew cab and a turbo deisel....it's a tank. Takes three turns to do a U turn. Has blind spots from hell. But no one argues with me when I change lanes. Tows well but hard to find a good wrench anywhere else than the dealer.

Gonna put it up for sale soon if anyone is interested..... blink.gif

The wife has the new Yukon XL, has the four wheel steering...small/big block....sweet ride and turns like a Saturn.
seanery
IPB Image

I just ordered a Red Limited Hemi with Khaki interior. Saved $4700 with the employee discount! boldblue.gif
If Chrysler does any rebates before mine comes in (6-8 weeks) I'll get those, too!
redshift
Khaki? Wha'dya get a 911 to go with than dangling pinkie?

smile.gif

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.