Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Values in Excellence Magazine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Did anybody see the latest edition of Excellence? They assessed the values of 914's in this month's edition - and if there is a shred of accuracy in these numbers I am thrilled! He puts the value of "so-so" 914's of just about any year close to $10k! I did get a sense that the value of the cars were increasing, but not by that much! Any chance these are even close? If so, I've seen better return than the S&P 500 on my 914 investment (not counting my sweat equity!). I usually look at what eBay demands on their cars to gauge the value and I have not witnessed anything close to these values?
Jax914
I've got a shell for sale .... no hell hole problem (no hell hole)

asking half that....just $5000

(or if you want to come get, let me know)

av-943.gif
drgchapman
I always wonder about enthusiastist's enthusiastic valuations. To find out the real value of something, comparable recent sales prices are the most accurate. You can put any price on something, but if no one buys it..................is it worth the price, apparently not.
I watch e-bay. I have issues with ebay auctions, many go too high. But, it is the major market place for many esoteric and mundane items. There are so many items sold, that it is a representative sample on which to make a judgement.
I've seen some really nice restored /4 cars going for around $10k. (A McMark car, Zambezie green, just sold for ~$8500.00) Most are selling for less than $5k.
dflesburg
I agree, most can still be had under 5k. They just aren't worth all that much.

Ferg
I thought Bruce was right on for the most part.

I "think" he bases his valuations on recent confirmed sales, and readers reports. smile.gif

I have yet to see a "nice" 2.0 sell for less than 5k, in the last 2 years or so. By that I mean, one that you would not have to double that price, to get it into a nice driver car. Realize "nice" to me may not mean "nice" to you. biggrin.gif

Ferg.

VaccaRabite
I have seen some cars that I consider to be overpriced, but I have not seen ANYTHING that approaches the 10K range.

I wonder if Excellence is not trying to do its part to drive up the value of these cars.

The average car I have seen sell for ~5-6K

Zach
effutuo101
value for insurance reasons and value of what you could sell your car for vary greatly. If any of us where to value our cars at say 10k as in "nice" condition and the car where to be totaled. I am sure that some of us would be thrilled to get that agreed upon amount for our cars. Another percentage of us would break even Sans labor), and a large percentage of us would be looking to buy it back and transfer parts to a new car.
jwalters
biggrin.gif Funny, I just was looking up the NADA price for my car before I saw this thread -

I advise all to look up their respective year model 914's in the NADA antique guide - you will ALL be surprised!!! blink.gif

J
rick 918-S
Although I haven't seen my Exellence yet, I'm sure were talking nice in the sense of little to no prior rust damage or rust repairs, Paint in cosmedically good to excellent condition, And few to no mods. I'm sure were talking about nice driving cars that sold with no issues.

How many $ 5000.00 914's qualify. The ones we drive everyday and sell because were tired of putting bandaids on gunshot wounds are not these cars.

The $ 5000.00 and less cars are the ones we love to thrash and work on until are knuckles bleed and our wallets hurts. No shame in that. These are the best ones in my opinion. aktion035.gif driving.gif
JeffBowlsby
I have been tracking the publically documented sales prices for the best-quality 914/4 cars, for awhile now and posting them to my website, and I regularly update it with new transactions. See this link:

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/RecentSales.htm

Driver cars are all below 10K, you dont start getting into the nicer 914/4s until at least 10K and the best cars are substantially more than that. Maybe not surprisingly, engine size is not the essential factor in terms of value...its condition and originality.

smile.gif
harlenl
Did anyone see this in Autoweek?

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?...=73294555705850

JeffBowlsby
NADA can only provide the broadest of values. I just extracted these today:

They list values for the 1972 2.0L and a 1973 1.8L? To them value is based on engine size. Use these values with caution.

Cap'n Krusty
As always, YOUR car is worth exactly the number that someone will pay for it and for what you're willing to let it go. No more, no less. Not what someone says they'll pay, not what you say you want, just the actually number in the transaction. When you buy a car, it's worth exactly what you pay for it. The Cap'n
ConeDodger
I use Bruce's values when I update my stated value insurance. Ebay is not a good source of value information.
Chris Pincetich
I was REALLY lucky to land an insurance agent that took the total of my receipts for parts and labor to get my 914 road-worthy and add them to the price I paid. My 914 is valued at $6900, which in my opinion I would be hard pressed to get if I sold it, considering it has rust and lots of mods.

Whenever I see inflated 914 prices I am happy that my car may really be worth $6900 in the open market. Time will tell beerchug.gif
McMark
IMHO, the buying of the Zambezi car got a really good deal. I told the owner when he said he was going to sell it that it would probably sell for $8k-$9k, but really I think it's worth $10k or more.
Challe
Hi, my name is Charles and a new member from Sweden, Europe. Sorry to make my first post without a presentation of me but I found this subject very interesting. And why you may ask as Europe prizes differs a lot.

What I think is that the prizes on 914 cars in US are going through the same process as in Europe, here in Sweden we could get an decent 914 for about 5000$ five years ago, today we have passed the 10000$ limit, last month I bought a -73 2l for about 11000$ in your money and everyone with knowledge about the 914 here in Sweden thinks I made a really good find. In Germany the same car would go for at least 15000$. A rusty malfunctional 914/6 goes for about 20k in Germany. Thats why we in Europe are so interested in the 914 objects we can find in the US.

My guess is that prizes will rise in US in the same way as it have done in Europe, the 914 is widely more accepted as an "real" Porsche today. You may maybe not reach the same prize peaks as here in Europe but I definitely think prizes is going up.

Van914
I know of a very nice 1970 914-6 that was just sold last month for $25k.
van914
xperu
QUOTE(Challe @ Sep 27 2007, 05:13 AM) *

Hi, my name is Charles and a new member from Sweden, Europe. Sorry to make my first post without a presentation of me but I found this subject very interesting. And why you may ask as Europe prizes differs a lot.

What I think is that the prizes on 914 cars in US are going through the same process as in Europe, here in Sweden we could get an decent 914 for about 5000$ five years ago, today we have passed the 10000$ limit, last month I bought a -73 2l for about 11000$ in your money and everyone with knowledge about the 914 here in Sweden thinks I made a really good find. In Germany the same car would go for at least 15000$. A rusty malfunctional 914/6 goes for about 20k in Germany. Thats why we in Europe are so interested in the 914 objects we can find in the US.

My guess is that prizes will rise in US in the same way as it have done in Europe, the 914 is widely more accepted as an "real" Porsche today. You may maybe not reach the same prize peaks as here in Europe but I definitely think prizes is going up.

welcome.png Welcome to the forum, very interesting. Mike
BGFalcon
I'm still in the market for a 914. I've got one I'm interested in but the owner wants $8800 for it. And the primary thing he keeps quoting is, "according to Excellence magazine.....". Everyone I've talked to, including people on this board, say the value should be $7.2k to $7.5k, which is what I offered.

So, the owner has held onto this vehicle for 3 months now. Here is a case where the buying public says one thing, but the "esatblished source" says another.
woobn8r
QUOTE(BGFalcon @ Sep 27 2007, 09:07 AM) *

I'm still in the market for a 914. I've got one I'm interested in but the owner wants $8800 for it. And the primary thing he keeps quoting is, "according to Excellence magazine.....". Everyone I've talked to, including people on this board, say the value should be $7.2k to $7.5k, which is what I offered.

So, the owner has held onto this vehicle for 3 months now. Here is a case where the buying public says one thing, but the "esatblished source" says another.

I agree with the Capt'n...It's worth what someone will pay.
"Everyone" is not buying this car ...you are. So, if you like the car, and you have the means...pay what the seller Will accept (he obviously thinks $7,500 is not enough...you are only 1,300 apart right now...that's not even a nice set of wheels and tires. Maybe the 3 months of others lining up to NOT BUY his car have softened his beliefs in the "Excellence" numbers.
If you will not pay that amount for that car....find another car.
S.
woobn8r
Also while we are on the topic of printed purchase values.....

Printed Values on ANY car assume the vehicle to be in complete and roadworthy condition. If the car in question needs somthing...i.e. a new clutch...that cost is subtracted from the printed value.

The value levels (no matter what you name them i.e. rough, average, clean etc.) describe the "general condition, "wear and tear" and mileage on the vehicle.

So, if "excellence" says a particular model in a particular category is valued at $8,800. But, an actual vehicle (in that model category) needs a new battery, for example, and the cost of the battery (installed) is $100. then the vehicle is valued at $8,700.

Also be sure to check the options listed with the printed value. If a car had steel wheels stock, the optional alloy wheels may ADD to the printed value.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(BGFalcon @ Sep 27 2007, 08:07 AM) *

Please note that I say this with all affection, 914 owners are notoriously cheap.

I am willing to sell several of my cars but I don't need to sell them. For that reason, you aren't going to get me to drop my price because the consensus here is that it should go for cheaper. I frankly don't need to sell anything I own.
I am not telling you that you should not try to make the best deal you can but you two are so close you should be able to close that deal in a minute.
Scott S
[/quote]

Please note that I say this with all affection, 914 owners are notoriously cheap.

I am willing to sell several of my cars but I don't need to sell them. For that reason, you aren't going to get me to drop my price because the consensus here is that it should go for cheaper. I frankly don't need to sell anything I own.
I am not telling you that you should not try to make the best deal you can but you two are so close you should be able to close that deal in a minute.
[/quote]

agree.gif

I have the Martini car up for sale, but I am not in any hurry at all - in fact I still have plans to do some stuff to it. If the right buyer comes along, sure, no problemo. But until then, I will continue to simply enjoy it. As a buyer, I am a big believer that it is only worth what someone is willing to pay at the time. However, as a non-motivated seller, if the offered price is not where I hoped it would be, I will just wait. No hard feelings either way beerchug.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Sep 27 2007, 08:48 AM) *

So, if "excellence" says a particular model in a particular category is valued at $8,800. But, an actual vehicle (in that model category) needs a new battery, for example, and the cost of the battery (installed) is $100. then the vehicle is valued at $8,700.

Also be sure to check the options listed with the printed value. If a car had steel wheels stock, the optional alloy wheels may ADD to the printed value.

Best post here, IMHO.

I hate (!) when people mis-quote magazines in forums. headbang.gif

It's kinda like the guy who purposely messes up the game "telephone," but a whole lot less funny. sad.gif

Please read the text: we NEVER said "so-so" 914s are $10,000+ cars. We said: "Any excellent 914-4 appears to be a five-figure car now, while 2.0s are rapidly approaching $15,000..."

As Rick points out, our nice is a lot nicer than rusty, crash-damaged cars with so-so repairs. And our "excellent" would, frankly, most of the 914s left. Mine included...

That said, I think that 914 prices are indeed on the move and it's neat to see these cars get the recognition they deserve.

Cheers! beerchug.gif

pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.