Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interior question 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
TedK
Picked up my 914-6 about two months ago, just received my COA where the interior is listed as follows:

Black leatherette / 11

Now, my car has a basketweave interior, so I thought the original "smoothie" had been replaced, but I was just looking at an older COA on a closed Ebay listing for a same-year 914-6 and it read like this:

Black leatherette / basketweave 11

Anyone know what the "11" means? Could my basketweave interior in fact be original?

Thanks

Ted K
smontanaro
I'm interested in this topic as well. I've always been told that the basketweave door panels in my /6 weren't original and just accepted that as fact. I haven't yet ordered a COA. This will maybe spur me to order it in the near future.

Skip
Johny Blackstain
I never saw my six w/ an original interior so I'm curious as well. I really don't remember anything smooth & thought they were all basketweave. I know the weave pattern changed slightly over the years, but I also have a COA "that goes up to 11" biggrin.gif
TedK
Well, the usual printed sources say the early interiors were smooth. Not much elaboration. I know webtrader just got a cherry 1971 six and you can see that his interior is "smooth". Could that be leather? He didn't say. The one I saw on Ebay was basketweave like mine and the COA seems to confrim it (older COA).

IPB Image
Gustl
currently I'm a bit in a hurry, so just a short version without scan ...

here is what the "Colour Chart" from MY'70 (print# W1-150-0869-0104) says:

order number 11:
Interior trim: black leatherette
Seats: leatherette with leatherette basketwave inlays (only in colour of trim)

this was standard interior - other versions were available at additional cost

I'll scan the brochure for the other options tomorrow or the later ...

bye1.gif Gustl
SirAndy
my '70 /4 came with smooth vinyl on the doors and seats. no basketweave. tan, not black.

bye1.gif Andy
freezing14
i had to do a lot of research but here it is , code 11 (black), or like mine 31(tan), leatherette / basket weave , it is ONLY for the seat combo, the door panel are not listed separately because they were all flat in 70 and early 71, 4 or6 no matter what color
sixerdon
QUOTE(freezing14 @ Sep 26 2007, 04:37 PM) *

i had to do a lot of research but here it is , code 11 (black), or like mine 31(tan), leatherette / basket weave , it is ONLY for the seat combo, the door panel are not listed separately because they were all flat in 70 and early 71, 4 or6 no matter what color

My experience and sources tend to agree. However, a CoA of basket weave on the door planels on a six would be interesting to read. But then again, I've never seen the optional leather interior up close, either. Keep in mind the rare '72 sixes were quite different than the '70/'71's. They could have the basket weave panels.
Don
Pat Garvey
I have a friend who had an original 1970 six (long gone now - the car). His car had smooth door panels, yet black basketweave seats. When I asked him about the bogus seats, he got a little angry & insisted his car came from the factory the way it sat, which was extremely rusty. Sold it to someone in Canada.

I've seen the seats both smooth and "weave", but the door panels were always smooth. In fact, I don't think I've seen any pre-72 original 914 with anything other than smooth door panels.
TedK
I think that fits, my basketweave doors have the later all-black window cranks, so the originals were replaced at some point. My seats are probably original, the center "seat" cushion is also basket weave, probably not original as well.
Porsche Rescue
I am sure the '70 six came with basket weave seat inserts and smooth door panels, regardless of color. I have owned both black and tan with original interior (four was the same).
I am pretty sure that the '71 six had smooth seats and door panels, same as '71 fours. I know that to be true about the fours but have to hedge a bit on the sixes since they are pretty rare.
Gustl
here's the scan from the '70 colour chart
Eric_Shea
My 70 -6 had:

Smooth doors.
Basket weave inserts on the seats.
Basket weave on the dash.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.