Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now I've seen it all...under the hood of my car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
purple
Hey yall,

I figured you'd like this story... I was under the hood of my red 76 yesterday putting my Clewett RED 8mm wires on and I was thinking "these boots are kinda short for reaching into the tin. I made them work and continued on my merry, mallory ignitioned way.

I was under the impression the engine in this car is a 2.0L because it's a '76...until I looked at some 2.0L tin on ebay.

I look at my tin and see that the holes on the SIDE of the tins are welded shut (or just open holes) and there are holes CUT into the tops of the tins for the plugs...What we have here, ladies & gentlemen is

BACK-CONVERTED TIN!!!!

Apparently the p.o. has either 1.7 or 1.8 heads on this engine....now I wonder exactly wtf engine is in my car.

I apparently have a sow's ear under my hood.

Jake, I need a kit...bad
Cjllong
That seriously BLOWS!! sheeplove.gif
Project 6
What is the Engine number? You could have a 2.0 where someone trashed the original heads to the point where they weren't rebuildable. Then re did whatever was available and installed them.

Nothing wrong with the 1.7/1.8 heads with a little bit of work. Some people prefer them. I've had more dropped valve seats with 2.0 than with the "lesser" heads. Actually never dropped a seat unless it was a 2.0 head.
purple
I have no idea what the engine number is...it was rebuilt by vw canada, with hydraulic lifters and is missing half it's lower side tin. I think whoever built it was seriously impaired...

would you like the vw canaduh number?

where would I find the number on the thing anyway?
So.Cal.914

I think whoever built it was seriously impaired...

It happens from time to time...

w00t.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
toon1
QUOTE(purple @ Sep 27 2007, 06:33 AM) *

I have no idea what the engine number is...it was rebuilt by vw canada, with hydraulic lifters and is missing half it's lower side tin. I think whoever built it was seriously impaired...

would you like the vw canaduh number?

where would I find the number on the thing anyway?

the # should be on the top of the engine case, around the oil filler. Should start with EA or EB or GA.

How many studs are holding the air intake runners to the head?

If it's a crappy rebuild, who cares, if it's running, drive it til it breaks.

ConeDodger
The 2 liter heads have three intake studs. Is it still running DJet?
purple
I'll go down to the garage and check the studs. It's running a wonderful weber carb, right in the middle. I think you refer to it as a stromberg.gif progressive stromberg.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(purple @ Sep 27 2007, 09:45 AM) *

I'll go down to the garage and check the studs. It's running a wonderful weber carb, right in the middle. I think you refer to it as a stromberg.gif progressive stromberg.gif

Actually I do think that is the technical term for them. smile.gif
BMXerror
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 27 2007, 09:56 AM) *

QUOTE(purple @ Sep 27 2007, 09:45 AM) *

Actually I do think that is the technical term for them. smile.gif

stromberg? blink.gif ... biggrin.gif
Mark D.
SLITS
Possibly a Weber ... known as the "Pinto Carb" .... Weber 32/36 2DGV or something like that .... yes, it is progressive.

The Haynes Manual will show you where to look for the engine number ... 3rd page of the manual after the Index and pictures .... buy it!
purple
Hey guys, my intake runners are held in with FOUR bolts, two for each pipe.

I still couldnt find the engine number, I need to de-grease that monkey when I get my replacement lower tin for the left cylinder bank.

I pulled the exhaust this weekend and it came off with no problems...aside from all but one stud on the passenger side is a stepped stud....
thomasotten
No no... it's not "back-converted" tin, the proper term is "back-dated" tin. Folks are making lots of money back-dating 911's to the early look, and you know the early bumpers for the 914 are all the rage... No seriously, it sounds like your PO was a lot like my series of PO's... real cheap, and always doing stuff the wrong way!
RoadGlue
Being that the 914 cases are all cross compatible, even the engine ID number won't tell the full story. It could be a 1.7 built on a 2.0 case for example.

Good luck!
purple
This engine is a trip:
hydro lifters
pinto carb
1.7 or 1.8 AMC heads
no lower tin on the left side
previously installed dual motorcycle exhaust(removed this weekend)
bosch 009 dizzy (now a mallory unilite with mallory promaster e-coil)
2.0L upper tin with holes cut in it for the 1.7 or 1.8 plug locations
no thermostat bellows

I'm saving this old boxer
kconway
Why don't you just put an end to all this madness and buy a 2.0 engine out of the classified section here? Bruce has one there for as little as $250.

That way you spend more time driving and less time complaining about the PO.
purple
@conway

because I'm trying to save up enough duckets for a Raby 2056 kit

I'll get the engine to a 'non-dying' place, drive it into the ground, and then put his kit in. I dont have enough room in my garage for an extra engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.