Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
whitey
I'm breaking my car down for paint and I'm trying to decide if I should remove the windshield or just mask around it. Am I potentially going to mess up the seal, break the glass, etc. Also is there any trick to removing the metal trim around the glass.

Thanks, Dave
VaccaRabite
Do you think that there is any chance of rust under the windshield?

If not, leave it. To big a chance of it breaking.

Zach
jd74914
Just leave it in. You can take off the trim and tape it up well and no one will ever know that you didn't take it out.

Unless you are really experienced there is a chance you will break the glass and be out a few hundred bucks.
whitey
There is a little rust under the paint in the corners (approx. 1" long). Do you think using fiberglass/plastics will get rid of it rather than cut and weld.
jd74914
If you can get to the rust and the neutralize it was something (POR15 etc), you'll be fine. Then you can fill over it.

How close to the glass is it? I fixed rust pretty close to the windshield frame. You just need to protect the glass from spatter with a sheet of metal or piece of leather or something. Its not too hard unless the rust is extends into the frame and behind the glass.
drgchapman
I saved this off of the old board. Good thing as I went back and the pictures are all gone. The thread goes over the removal of the aluminum trim with out destroying it. The tool is important. Removing the windshield without breaking it is another matter. I'm 0/2 in unbroken windshield removal on a 914.

Here is the link:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...f=2&t=34858

Get the rust, do it right. biggrin.gif
It won't be any easier later or after it leaks on your feet. mad.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
flesburg
If you are afraid to do it yourself:

Call your auto insurance company. Ask them who they use locally for auto glass replacement. Call that company and ask them for a price to remove, and then come back later and do a reinstall on your car.

It is an easy job for a tech with the tools and the experience. DO NOT let them confuse a 914 with a 911, because the 911 is tougher, with its rubber seal.

You may like the price they quote, and then have them do it. I have done this before, at least for the uninstall. The reinstall is MUCH easier. Buy ALL new trim clips (PP) and a new roll of rubber (your local FLAPS).

My cents worth.
GaroldShaffer
How is the condition of the window? Is it pitted, small chips or anything? Now would be the time to replace it. Mine was pitted pretty bad, so I had it pulled then the car painted and new windshield installed. I got mine from a shop on ebay. Here is the link
VaccaRabite
I almost bouhgt from them, but the shipping cost made it cheaper to source a local installer.

Zach
Pat Garvey
In '79, after I'd stripped the entire 914 for painting, I left the windshield in because I was scared to remove it. The painter said He'd "try" to remove it if I wanted, was pretty certain they'd crack it.

The windshield was unavailable even in '79, so I told him to leave it, mask carefully & spray. No regrets after all these years. Perfect job, though not inexpensive.
Pat
whitey
1) When using the aluminum removal tool do you lift the trim from the glass side and slide it underneath the trim?

2) Are there clips on both sides of the trim?

3) Are you trying to remove the tension on the clips which will release the trim?

4) Do the corners have clips?
whitey
Thanks guys...I figured it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.