Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Warning! Stupid Question Alert! Can engine mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
army dude
Howdy ya'll!!

I was wondering, in the realm of safety, if it has been tried to place the engine mount bar on top of the engine mount bracket?? idea.gif

The idea behind this is kind of a fail safe if the bolts go and drop the engine on the ground. I do not know of any engine having fallen before but I was just curious. Anybody else have these delusional thoughts like I do? confused24.gif

I don't have pics but we all know what it looks like, right?

Ian Harrington screwy.gif
skline
I don't think you would want to raise the center of gravity by doing that, if you want to make sure it never falls out, devise a safety wire setup to secure it to the body. That way geometrics have not been changed.
So.Cal.914
Hi Ian, Just make sure the bolts are tight.

I have seen pic's of engines on the ground.
Allan
I would think you would have a tough time getting the tin to fit at the seals and cause a loss of cooling air.

Plus, how will you get the shift bar through the mount?
army dude
I have even thought of some safety strap or bracket but wasn't really sure. I would change the angle of the mount bar to compensate for the raised bar bringing it back to regular mount height.

Ian
army dude
My bad here, I have a v8 in there and the shifter will be cable. But the idea would to just angle the ends to go up on top, basically keeping the bar at original height.

Ian
skline
Your instinct on the safety wire/cable was dead on. Drill the engine mount bar and bolt a cable through it and secure it to the chassis. It would flex enough to let you know there is a problem and your engine wont wind up on the ground.
Cap'n Krusty
Do you also worry about getting hit by meteors?

The Cap'n
sww914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 27 2007, 08:57 AM) *

The Cap'n

I have problems with extra terrestrial life forms stealing hardware out of my garage.
woobn8r
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 27 2007, 09:57 AM) *

The Cap'n

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(sww914 @ Sep 27 2007, 09:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 27 2007, 08:57 AM) *

The Cap'n

I have problems with extra terrestrial life forms stealing hardware out of my garage.

The only problem I have with extra terrestrials is I still haven't figured out

how to recharge the batteries in this analprobe they left behind.

w00t.gif
army dude
yea, I guess I asked for all that didn't I.....I was dropped on my head at birth, over and over. They wanted to see if they could do any yo-yo tricks before cutting the cord.

Are we talkin illegal aliens?

Analprobe, nice!!!!

Meteors don't bother me, therapy worked.

Ian

So.Cal.914
QUOTE(army dude @ Sep 27 2007, 09:31 AM) *

yea, I guess I asked for all that didn't I.....I was dropped on my head at birth, over and over. They wanted to see if they could do any yo-yo tricks before cutting the cord.

Are we talkin illegal aliens?

Analprobe, nice!!!!

Meteors don't bother me, therapy worked.

Ian

av-943.gif
Jeffs9146

I thought all 914 motors spent most of their life on the ground! confused24.gif
Jax914
the height of the jack stands result in a much greater potential for damage.

chair.gif

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Sep 27 2007, 02:13 PM) *

I thought all 914 motors spent most of their life on the ground! confused24.gif

army dude
I failed to take a pic of it last night but I noticed that the po had welded a piece of flat stock over the top in the direction of the bar. It is about 1 1/4 inches by 1/4 thick. I gonna have to think , ouch, about how I want to do this now. The engine tin running all around the engine area can just be plasma cut off and ground down, right? Nothing structural about it?

Ian
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.