Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust stud and lock-tite
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
Question 1) Should one use lock-tite when installing an exhaust stud?

Question 2) If so, which version?
So.Cal.914
I have heard 'Yes' and I have heard 'No'. Locktite red is the stuff you will need heat to remove, but there is the conundrum, Heat.
Brett W
No, go by your local Wurth dealer and buy the copper locknuts. They work great. Much better than any other option.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Brett W @ Sep 27 2007, 09:53 AM) *

No, go by your local Wurth dealer and buy the copper locknuts. They work great. Much better than any other option.

he is trying to reinstall an exhaust stud... not nuts.

just make sure the threads are CLEAN. loctite will only work if it is clean!
SLITS
The temperature that stud sees (exhaust temp 1200 - 1600 degrees) will prolly negate the locking ability of the non-aerobic thread sealer .... so, just screw it in till it bottoms and don't overstress it. Use the copper "crushed" nuts for locking purposes.

I use anti-sieze, which prolly doesn't do much good but it makes me feel better!
Brett W
DOH, reading owns me. Never mind.
Cap'n Krusty
Beating a dead horse here, and wondering why so many guys who appear otherwise knowledgeable keep saying "copper nuts". THEY'RE NOT COPPER! They're copper plated steel. The Cap'n
KaptKaos
They are a pretty coppery color smile.gif

And I have those too. laugh.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 27 2007, 12:16 PM) *

Beating a dead horse here, and wondering why so many guys who appear otherwise knowledgeable keep saying "copper nuts". THEY'RE NOT COPPER! They're copper plated steel. The Cap'n

Who gives a FF if they are copper coated steel ... they're "crushed nutz" and are copper colored to us guys who otherwise appear knowledgable ... which BTW, doesn't include me 'cause I don't know shit!

And rubbers** aren't rubber ... they're latex!

**Unless you're from the East, then they're "overshoes".
Hammy
JB weld hide.gif laugh.gif
sww914
QUOTE(Hammy @ Sep 27 2007, 01:54 PM) *

Yep, I had to do that on one. I only had 2 threads left at the top of the hole that the 9mm step stud could grab, so last minute on the way to the track I JB'd it in there. I planned to fix it later when it failed, it's been 5 years and it's still in there.

A small drop of loctite won't hurt anything, but I don't think that it will help, it'll just turn into carbon.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 27 2007, 12:55 PM) *

The correct term is galoshes.
Hammy
QUOTE(sww914 @ Sep 27 2007, 02:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Hammy @ Sep 27 2007, 01:54 PM) *

Yep, I had to do that on one. I only had 2 threads left at the top of the hole that the 9mm step stud could grab, so last minute on the way to the track I JB'd it in there. I planned to fix it later when it failed, it's been 5 years and it's still in there.

A small drop of loctite won't hurt anything, but I don't think that it will help, it'll just turn into carbon.

Good to see I'm not alone... laugh.gif I had a stud back out, didn't strip but backed itself out. I cleaned everything and JB'ed the SOB. It hasn't budged in a year.
SLITS
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Sep 27 2007, 02:14 PM) *

The correct term is galoshes.

Galoshes = Midwest Flatlander Term drunk.gif
HAM Inc
I've tried various Loctite products over the years on ex. studs. 271 seems to hold okay on the studs that are under the rocker area, but not the ones closest to the chambers. I Loctite them in when I assemble heads, mostly to keep them from backing out if the the customer (or I) have to pull the exhaust off after installing it, but before running the engine.

Jake doesn't like the "Copper" nuts. He double nuts the exhaust.

Rubbers are Latex? I thought they were sheep guts.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 27 2007, 11:03 AM) *

.... will prolly negate the locking ability of the non-aerobic thread sealer ....

... us guys who otherwise appear knowledgable ... which BTW, doesn't include me 'cause I don't know shit!

i believe the term is 'anaerobic'..... which means you aren't knowledgeable and dont know shit LOL tongue.gif
So.Cal.914
Aaah, I think just about everything Ron does now a days is Non- aerobic.
SLITS
I'm a stirthepot.gif , so I don't have to be correct.

Not non-aerobic, but flacid will do nicely. sad.gif

So.Cal.914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 27 2007, 06:38 PM) *

FlacCid?

Love ya Ron av-943.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 27 2007, 06:53 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 27 2007, 06:38 PM) *

FlacCid?

Love ya Ron av-943.gif

who can be mad at father time?

i guess i love the old bat too LOL wub.gif av-943.gif
KaptKaos
So if there is a problem with the stud, the consensus seems to be JB Weld. lol2.gif
moneysmarts
I had to tap one of my threads to the oversized 10mm earlier this summer. Twisted a 10 X 8 stud into the hole with a dab of jb weld on the head-side.
Still super tight after 1000 + miles. Probably will never come out. aktion035.gif

Hope it doesn't need to dry.gif
RoninEclipse2G
jb weld is amazing, my buddys old toyota corolla beater had a head gasket go bad and it ate away a chunk between the #3-4 cylinders. he couldn't afford a new head (it was worth more than the car) so we Jb'd the spot and had the head milled as little as possible. 4 years later and it still holds great compression in those cylinders.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.