Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VW Type 4 parts vs 914 parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vwbusmann
I'm thinking about restoring my '75 914 1.8 and want to build a bigger engine with Dual Webers.

Are the pistons and Cylinders from VW Type 4's usable in this engine? (they are less expensive than one marked for a 914)

What cam should I use for Carb's?, I heard that the cam from my 1.8 which was Injected won't work very good.

I have 021 heads, should I have anything done to them other than a valve grind?

I have been in the Type 1/2 world for a long time, build my own engines for my '67 Type II, but have never worked on a Type 4 style motor.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
McMark
Yes, all the Type 4 stuff is interchangeable. You can get a set of 96mm pistons and cylinders (make sure they are for a 66mm stroke) and build a 1911 motor. Jake Raby has a cam that will really wake it up. Having a complete head rebuild by someone like Len Hoffman is the best idea.

Have fun, and keep is posted.
davep
If the part #'s are the same, they are the same parts and should not have a price difference. If they are different, then chances are that the parts are different for a good reason. Check out the aircooled technology forums, the home of the type 4.
vwbusmann
Thanks, I was also wondering what carbs I should use. This is probably going to be a daily driver, almost. The car has a 2 barrel Weber Progressive on it right now

I take it that 96mm is the largest I can go without machining the case? I was maybe thinking of going for 2.0L or larger. Any ideas on this.
davep
With a 96mm cylinder you can easily build a 2270 and get up to 200 hp with a longer stroke. You could cheap out and have the 93mm cylinders bored out. You might find a 2.0 crank and rods to assist going to a 2056.
Eric_Shea
welcome.png
Dave_Darling
Check the (long) thread about Dave Hunt's trip to Georgia for comments about Dell'Orto carbs. They are pretty well regarded, though they can be a little tough to find.

A single-carb setup is pretty much the worst possible way you can get air and fuel into the motor.

--DD
Jake Raby
We just broke Aircooled Technology history with Dave Hunt's 2270 with my 45 Dell test carbs installed at 209 HP!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.