Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Triad Exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pin31
Has anyone installed a Triad exhaust and modified their rear valance (two holes)?

I thought I saw a picture on here not too long ago?

Right now I don't have the rear valance on...but I would like to (and not hack it up).

Anyone have any advise/experience/suggestions/pictures ?????

Thanks,
Tim
drgchapman
QUOTE(pin31 @ Sep 27 2007, 12:41 PM) *

Has anyone installed a Triad exhaust and modified their rear valance (two holes)?

I thought I saw a picture on here not too long ago?

Right now I don't have the rear valance on...but I would like to (and not hack it up).

Anyone have any advise/experience/suggestions/pictures ?????

Thanks,
Tim

That was probably me. It was simple. Make a template of the exhaust cutout on the driver's side by tracing it on a piece of paper. Lay the paper on the otherside, mirrored and trace to the valence. Cut out with sabresaw, sand and paint. Took me about 2 hours, looks stock. I have a pic at home, I'll try to forward it.
PeeGreen 914
You don't need a rear valance. Triads look so good you should just keep the valance off. You could always ask for the 3" version like mine.
pin31
drgchapman: Cool thanks. I didn't realize the driver's side pipe was in the stock hole position. Makes sense, just mirror on other side. Pictures would be great !!

Blood Red: The Triad does look cool the way it is...that's why I haven't done anything yet. What do you mean by 3" version (shorter??). I have a 2.0L 4 banger although it looks just like yours.

Thanks guys,
Tim
blitZ
I did the same as Gary, just cut a 1/2 inch or less then the template. Then I used pliers to bend the metal back to match the look of the stock opening. It's fairly simple.
pin31
Another related question....

My Triad is starting to show signs of surface rust.

What do you recommend (wire brush off the rust real well & repaint)?

What type/brand of paint and color (to match existing) do you recommend?

Thanks,
Tim
PeeGreen 914
The pipe on mine is 3" pipe. Dave has only made three of them, and they are all because of people hearing and seeing mine. The normal size is 2-2.5".

On the rust issue... Yes, get it all off of there and reshoot it. The paint that is used is called VHT, and the color is gun metal grey... I think.

One of the people who has the same exhaust is a guy that has a 2.0l 4, and it sounds very nice on there.
pin31
I got ya...doh!! I misunderstood your reply. I believe I have the 2.5" diameter pipes.

Gun Metal Gray was my guess too.

Never heard of VHT paint...will google it and see if my FLAPS has it.

Thanks !
PeeGreen 914
I would imagine any tough paint would work, but Dave uses VHT. It is rather expensive, but it is good for high temp stuff.
SGB
I can get VHT at Autozone.

I also put on a Triad recently and it does sound cool under load, but when I back off the throtle with clutch still engaged I get a poppity-poppity sound. Not really a backfire, but sounds like gas combusting to me. I'm pretty confident HE to head connection is tight, as is HE to triad. Maybe it is just whats gonna happen with these bigger diameter pipes. It isn't offensive, but kinda raw. I've been told by others not to worry about it. Anyone else have similar experience?
drgchapman
QUOTE(SGB @ Sep 27 2007, 02:47 PM) *

I can get VHT at Autozone.

I also put on a Triad recently and it does sound cool under load, but when I back off the throtle with clutch still engaged I get a poppity-poppity sound. Not really a backfire, but sounds like gas combusting to me. I'm pretty confident HE to head connection is tight, as is HE to triad. Maybe it is just whats gonna happen with these bigger diameter pipes. It isn't offensive, but kinda raw. I've been told by others not to worry about it. Anyone else have similar experience?

Mine sounds just like that as well.

I like RAW..........and Nasty
PeeGreen 914
Sounds more like a carb thing. I love these exhausts though. There isn't one that I have heard that sounded better yet. Well, for a street car that is.
AZ914
So a search on Triad from userid ROUSER. He did the valance cut-out and added chrome tips. It looks great!
Lavanaut
QUOTE(pin31 @ Sep 27 2007, 12:41 PM) *

I did this to my '74, here are a couple pics for ya. bye1.gif

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Lavanaut
A few more to give you an idea of how I went about it. Dremmel with a metal cutting disk is your friend. beer3.gif sawzall-smiley.gif beer3.gif

Foster
Now THAT, looks AWESOME! aktion035.gif
pin31
I'm really glad you mentioned that (pop..pop..pop). I get it too !!

It's not a carb thing (checked it out pretty throughly, got the Weber book and went through it etc..), but I thought if might be an exhaust leak (I've got my reasons..PO). I have purchased all the gaskets and copper platted nuts etc. to reattach the exhaust from the engine, SS HE to the Traid just to eliminate any possibility of exhaust leaks. I'll do that job soon. While I'm at it, I'll clean the HE etc. and clean-off the rust and paint the Triad.

I think this might help my situation a little, although I don't think it will completely eliminate it.

I have the dual 2.5" pipe size Triad which I believe lowers the back pressure (probably quite a bit from stock single outlet) which I think causes the pop-pop-pop (kinda like an exhaust leak might).

I'd like to keep this thread going and have people like (Dave from Triad..Blood Red sounds like you know him, Jake..I know he got a lot to say about exhaust design and Chris from Tangerine..also tons of experience).

Maybe (if you want heat, therefore heat exchangers) this isn't the best choice for an exhaust for a street car (lower HP?) but a good choice for AutoCross.

It looks and sounds cool anyway !!

What do you experts out there think??

Tim

J P Stein
Valence?....we don't need no stinkin' valence....nor some of that other metal either biggrin.gif
Tho have no objective data, I think it helps the engine run cooler also.
Yes, that's a Triad.Click to view attachment
pin31
Lavanaut: Wow; Awesome !!

I have the same car (74 2.0 but Phoenix Red) and that's the look I'm going for.

Where did you get the chrome tips? Do you have the template/drawing for the valance cut outs?

The exhaust looks cool the way it is but this really trims it out.

I'm still curious if this is the best exhaust for my application (cruising around)

Tim
Lavanaut
QUOTE(pin31 @ Sep 27 2007, 05:13 PM) *

Lavanaut: Wow; Awesome !!

I have the same car (74 2.0 but Phoenix Red) and that's the look I'm going for.

Where did you get the chrome tips? Do you have the template/drawing for the valance cut outs?

Thanks. Actually, finding the chrome tips was the challenging part. Everything was either too long or had to be welded on. I wanted something bolt-on (or more precisely, bolt-off) in case I decided later I didn't like them. I don't remember where I got them, but the brand is Gibson. They weren't exactly cheap either. dry.gif

I don't have the template any more, sorry. As you can see from the second set of pics up there, all I did was trace the existing notch on the driver's side, then flipped it and traced it on the passenger's side. You just need to be sure you space it exactly the same distance from the center of the valence as the driver's side notch. Mine was right on the first try. Sanded it, painted it, voila. The nice thing about my project was that the valence was dented on the passenger side when I bought the car, and this was a convenient "fix"! laugh.gif

As for whether or not this is the "best" setup, I doubt it. But pair it with some SSIs and you've got a pretty nice system. I think Chris @ Tangerine Racing is offering headers with heat now, that'd probably be "better" in terms of any gains you'd see. I will say though, after puttting the Triad on I absolutely felt a difference in how the car drove.

beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
my old skool single outlet triad has the 'rumble' on decl too. you think it's going to be a lean condition. nope, no backfire. if your valance is a nice one don't cut it up. you'll be throwing money away. beaters can be had for next to nothing or just shipping. btw, i run sans valance too. i like the look.

k
SGB
QUOTE(pin31 @ Sep 27 2007, 07:13 PM) *

I'm still curious if this is the best exhaust for my application (cruising around)

Tim

Well....
I thought the bursch I had was loud, but now I realize it REDUCED noise, not AMPLIFIED it. But the triad has this big 'ol resonance chamber that makes it sound great. I've got a pretty nice Bursch with extractor (header) that I kept thinking I might go back to- because of that pop-pop sound, but it seems to be characteristic of the muffler, and strangers tell me it sounds "cool". If ya wanna buy my Busch, send me a PM. It might be better for cruising around. Definitely less overbearing for listning to tunes or having conversation (but it IS a 914, so who's doing THOSE things?) when cruising down the road.
drgchapman
Here is the picture I promised.

Click to view attachment
drgchapman
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 27 2007, 05:10 PM) *

Valence?....we don't need no stinkin' valence....nor some of that other metal either biggrin.gif

I love that Triad. Very custom, good sound, nice and light.
The car's not bad either.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 27 2007, 05:10 PM) *

Hey JP

I hope you like that exhaust as I am having one made. I saw the pic of it at Daves when I was gettng something down there.

Soooo Tim....

Unless you go to no muffler. The Triad, from all the test we have run, give almost 100% of your HP. The others will rob you of your HP. The only one we didn;t have to Dino was Chris's Tangerine exhaust, which I think is a very nice looking one as well. The Triads work well with HE's or with headers. I can always give you Daves # if you need to ask him something about the exhausts. I live about 1hr+ away from him, but I see him every now and again.

Jon
J P Stein
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Sep 28 2007, 01:44 AM) *

Hey JP

I hope you like that exhaust as I am having one made. I saw the pic of it at Daves when I was gettng something down there.

Soooo Tim....

Unless you go to no muffler. The Triad, from all the test we have run, give almost 100% of your HP. The others will rob you of your HP. The only one we didn;t have to Dino was Chris's Tangerine exhaust, which I think is a very nice looking one as well. The Triads work well with HE's or with headers. I can always give you Daves # if you need to ask him something about the exhausts. I live about 1hr+ away from him, but I see him every now and again.

Jon

The object of this muffler was to loose weight without loosing power.
At 12 lbs, the former object certainly was met. Per my butt dyno, it seems good also....on an increasingly sick motor it was tough to tell, however. It is not as loud as I had feared tho it will get your (and others) attention.
The sickness cure is underway.
Click to view attachment
pin31
Good discussion guys...thanks.

I like the Triad..performance, looks, sound (I don't listen to the radio either).

From the discussion, it sounds like if you use the Triad you will get the pop-pop-pop (which is OK with me, just wanted to know if that was the cause).

I was surprised by RhodyGuy's comment "....my old skool single outlet triad has the 'rumble' on decl too". I would think the the dual 2.5" outlet would have a greater reduction of back pressure thereby causing the pop-pop-pop. Maybe it's the design/volume of the resonator/combiner instead.

I would like Dave's phone number to discuss this with him (I know I'm beating a dead horse but I'm just curious...can't help it, I'm an engineer..albeit an electrical engineer). -OK, insert engineer's are nerds etc.. comments here -

Anyone have a rear valance for sale? I do like the look (what the heck I'll give it a try).

Thanks,
Tim
Lavanaut
Tim, I'll chime in here one last time. I get none of the 'pop-pop-pop' action you're talking about. I agree 100% with RhodyGuy, the greatest sound comes from my Triad on decel. On accelleration and when cruising around, it's just has a really nice resonance going on. Loud? No, not loud at all. But enough sound that you'll notice the difference, and love it.

Let us know what you decide in the end!
John
I get a slight rumbling burble on decel as well with my triad on my 3.2. (Not really a pop, pop, pop)

Mind is an old triad (probably 15 years old), and I repainted it, but it still sounds good to me. They are (or at least were) built to last. I'm not sure they are really lighter, but they seem to breathe really well.
Garland
Click to view attachmentThis was a 6 valance, and I had to move the hole slightly outboard and weld in a plate to cover the difference. I trimmed the Triad tips off about 3", installed the valance and outlined the locations for the holes from the backside of the valance. The exhaust is very well made, but it, or the car was slightly off on side to side height. So a slight shim on one trans mount, and a extra washer at the engine bar made it correct. I left about a 1/2 " clearance around the pipe after increasing the size to fit the A8 tips. The holes are not round since the valance is angled. Slightly oval cut.

The reason I cut a 6 valance was it had been cut before to fit a 4!. Hard to think the PO did that.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 28 2007, 06:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Sep 28 2007, 01:44 AM) *

Hey JP

Soooo Tim....

Jon

The object of this muffler was to loose weight without loosing power.
At 12 lbs, the former object certainly was met. Per my butt dyno, it seems good also....on an increasingly sick motor it was tough to tell, however. It is not as loud as I had feared tho it will get your (and others) attention.
The sickness cure is underway.
Click to view attachment

Hey JP

The one I have now is... well it was, the loudest Dave had made. It sounds great. When I saw yours I thought that was a great idea for making a light race muffler. I can't wait to get it. If it is too loud I can just take it off after a race and store it on the trailer with my tires. I love people who transport stuff for others biggrin.gif .

Hey Tim

The number for Triad Wets is 360-412-8021. If you don't hear from him soon after you call let me know.

Jon
Hammy
Anyone have a sound clip of a triad ?
PeeGreen 914
I'll see what I can do.
Tom
I have one of Dave's mufflers also. I think it may be one of the three inch ones. I love the way it sounds just idleing when warming it up. The when I drive it , the extra cost incurred is forgottem. I went with SSHE's and the Triad at the same time. Lots of $$. But I shouldn't have to worry for a long time.
And to top it off, Dave is a great guy to deal with. Wish I had his garage with that nice lift. Had a small problem with my bracket and Dave says "bring it on down and we will fix it for ya." He did too. No charge! Next time I go to see him, I need to bring him some BEER!!!
Tom
J P Stein
Yeah, we gots some noises......turn it up. biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h00EoBvVlE
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Tom @ Sep 28 2007, 06:38 PM) *

I have one of Dave's mufflers also. I think it may be one of the three inch ones. I love the way it sounds just idleing when warming it up. The when I drive it , the extra cost incurred is forgottem. I went with SSHE's and the Triad at the same time. Lots of $$. But I shouldn't have to worry for a long time.
And to top it off, Dave is a great guy to deal with. Wish I had his garage with that nice lift. Had a small problem with my bracket and Dave says "bring it on down and we will fix it for ya." He did too. No charge! Next time I go to see him, I need to bring him some BEER!!!
Tom

He loves Snowcap. beerchug.gif

I should have some sound bites coming in a few. Battery died as I was just finishing headbang.gif
PeeGreen 914
So I don't know how this will sound, but Chris Williams and I went out and used my little Canon Elf to get these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sls83LXt2ck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVYQj5kMkZg

Sorry about the picture quality. We were trying to show the RPMs, but too dark I guess. The roads were very fun though.
PeeGreen 914
Yeah... okay, those suck. I will try to get better ones for you so you can hear the Triad.
Hammy
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Sep 28 2007, 11:49 PM) *

Yeah... okay, those suck. I will try to get better ones for you so you can hear the Triad.

Thanks for the clips
They don't suck, audio was pretty decent. Sounds gooooood.
defianty
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Sep 28 2007, 12:51 AM) *

Lavanaut I saw these pics a while back and just had to have a triad. It's a great system. Here's mine on my 73... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
consider skipping the hi-temp rattle can and going straight to a baked on heat/header coating. i'm sure dave will ship one unpainted.

k
John
QUOTE(defianty @ Sep 29 2007, 01:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Sep 28 2007, 12:51 AM) *

Lavanaut I saw these pics a while back and just had to have a triad. It's a great system. Here's mine on my 73... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Where do I get tips like those? I would like a pair for mine.

BTW, Blood Red, I knew right away that it was a '6'. Sounds kind of like mine.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(defianty @ Sep 29 2007, 02:26 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Hey cool! Looks sooooooo nice with that early bumper. Backdating mine has been on my list for a while, but man is rechroming pricey. So sexy though. Damn nice car.

QUOTE(John @ Sep 29 2007, 09:41 AM) *

Where do I get tips like those? I would like a pair for mine.

Google "exhaust tips" and you'll have the rest of your day tied up. You can look at your FLAPS, most have tips, but it all depends on the quality and fit you're looking for. I did lots of research. In the end I went with Gibson tips. Not cheap but great quality. Bolt-on. I like them. smile.gif
SGB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBf1cpu2A2k
Here's mine.
thomasotten
Nice, SGB

What are the specs on your engine?
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(John @ Sep 29 2007, 09:41 AM) *

BTW, Blood Red, I knew right away that it was a '6'. Sounds kind of like mine.

I love the sound of the six biggrin.gif Everyone tells me my car sounds really good, but they say it sounds like it is really fast. Then they see it and it's not like it sounds av-943.gif I really want a 2.4l built in there drooley.gif Maybe soon someone will find one for me that isn't too pricey.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.