Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SS heat exchanger question:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
My '75 1.8 has the stock, non-SS heat exchangers with a Bursche exhaust. The motor has 55,000 miles on it and runs strong. I've gleened from other posts that SS HE's flow better and help the engine produce more power.

I'm wondering what one could expect, in terms of increased hp/torque from replacing my exhaust with SS HE's. At some point I'd like to rebuild a 2.0 for a little boost in HP, so they could be transferred to that motor. I'm guessing I'd also need a different exhaust and all the plumbing from the HE to the car.
SLITS
You need:

Complete warm air (heater) system ("J" pipes, "S" pipes, Angle pipes)

'73 - '74 Exhaust Hanger

'73 - '74 Muffler

'73 - ' 74 HEs

Say everything used at about $600 for 1 - 2 HP (my guess).
VaccaRabite
A lot of these posts this week.

If you are planning to go to a 2.0 (or 2056, and if you are rebuilding, there is no reason not too) go ahead and get 2L SSIs now. You will need a 2L muffler. They will work great on your 1.8, and you will get a small boost from the better flow, and you will love them on your 2L once you get it.

Zach
Cevan
This is the question! Is it a nice boost or just 1-2hp? As much as I like to pop a 2.0 in my car and have another 15-20hp, I'll probably drive the hell out of this motor for awhile.
VaccaRabite
If you stockers have not rusted out, I would not bother.

If your stockers are rusting out, then you could be pumping exhaust into your cabin while you drive. For this reason, I _really_ don't like the stockers. At least where I live, mild steel exhaust has a 5 year lifespan, and these suckers are going on 30+ years now...

The stockers on my 76 looked like swiss cheese. It was pretty bad. Exhaust has water in it, so even the CA exchangers rust (from the inside out).

Zach
PeeGreen 914
Remember... every 1 to 2 hp you can get out of these engines IS a boost. You would be increasing your hp by almost 3%
rhodyguy
definately get a set. definately... it's only money. dry.gif the best part is they really throw the heat and with no HOLES the steamroom factor goes way down.

k
Hammy
QUOTE(Cevan @ Sep 27 2007, 01:27 PM) *

This is the question! Is it a nice boost or just 1-2hp? As much as I like to pop a 2.0 in my car and have another 15-20hp, I'll probably drive the hell out of this motor for awhile.

Wise choice! The last thing you want is an engine-less 914... If you really want to build up a motor, buy a spare engine case and take your time on it, while still having your running 914......
Cevan
Will 2.0 SS HEs work on a 2056 with carbs and a non-stock cam? I want to keep my eyes open for good deals on parts I would need over then next 2-3 years.

Brando
QUOTE(Cevan @ Oct 4 2007, 08:32 AM) *
Will 2.0 SS HEs work on a 2056 with carbs and a non-stock cam? I want to keep my eyes open for good deals on parts I would need over then next 2-3 years.

Yes they should still work, unless you have some radical port-work done to the exhaust to require a different flange.

You'll learn to love the SSI's. I've had them for over 2 years now. It was quite an amazing difference over the stock 1.8/late 2.0 style. Those suckers work so well when you have all the equipment, they'll burn you out of the cab. My feet feel like they're on fire with sandals on.

And with a bursch or triad muffler, you'll see more like a 5% gain over those 1.8/late 2.0 HEs.
Chris Pincetich
When I switched to SSHEs on my 1.7 I noticed a little extra uummph, but what was more noticeble was the extra noise and heat. The steel is much thinner on the SS jackets and they don't muffle the sound as well as OEM steel. The SSHEs are also 10-20 lbs lighter which could be another reason they seem to give more GO feel.

Later, I switched to headers. No heat, way louder, and WAY faster biggrin.gif

If you're interested in having a complete set of 1.7/1.8 style SSHEs, OEM 1.7 banana muffler, all heater ducting shipped to you for a reasonable price, send me a PM. I had them for sale in the classifieds last month, but no bites beerchug.gif
blitZ
Actually, if you have the late exhaust where you have single pipes going into your muffler and switch to SSIs, you may pick up more than 1-2 ponies.
mudfoot76
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Oct 4 2007, 02:14 PM) *

The SSHEs are also 10-20 lbs lighter which could be another reason they seem to give more GO feel.

My stockers were leaking CO, so I eventually found replacement SSIs (I have a 2.0L) and noticed the difference too, which I attribute mostly to weight. Adding lightness, plus maybe 1-2HP does make a noticable difference. But mostly I like not being poisoned by my car when it is cold out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.