Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a coil recommendation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Going to a Mallory 6AL unit as my MSD box crapped out.

Anybody got a coil recommendation?

Is the MSD Blaster 2 coil I have compatable?
eeyore
I bleev I'm using the mallory 29440 Promaster coil with my 6AL (and Mallory distributor)
yeahmag
The stock blue coil held up fine on my drag bug... 2276 with a 6AL and ran low 8's in the 1/8th mile. Ran the plugs at .045" gap.

-Aaron
Aaron Cox
i was getting coil saturation with both the 30hm blue coil and 1.5 ohm ptronix ignitor coils.

called mallory.
CDI boxes LOVE low impedance coils. I run a promaster E-Coil from www.centuryperformance.com

60,000 volt, and nice compact package (unlike full size promaster).

Works flawlessly.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Headrage @ Sep 28 2007, 01:18 PM) *

Going to a Mallory 6AL unit as my MSD box crapped out.

Anybody got a coil recommendation?

Is the MSD Blaster 2 coil I have compatable? agree.gif Blaster II works nicely. aktion035.gif driving.gif

Brando
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 28 2007, 04:55 PM) *
i was getting coil saturation with both the 30hm blue coil and 1.5 ohm ptronix ignitor coils.

called mallory.
CDI boxes LOVE low impedance coils. I run a promaster E-Coil from www.centuryperformance.com

60,000 volt, and nice compact package (unlike full size promaster).

Works flawlessly.

agree.gif

I'm starting to have saturation issues at higher temps. Definitely going for the promaster coil aaron has when I get the cash.
Aaron Cox
http://www.centuryperformance.com/detail.a...CT_ID=MAL-30440

sorry jake... your price is high by 20 bucks smile.gif
mallory coil is 60,000 volts IIRC
works GREAT with the hyfire

BLASTER 2 AND 3 SPECIFICATIONS
Output Voltage: 45,000 Volts Maximum
Operating Voltage: 12VDC
Primary Resistance: 0.7 Ohms
Secondary Resistance: 4.7K Ohms
Turns Ratio: 100:1
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Sep 28 2007, 04:12 PM) *

The stock blue coil held up fine on my drag bug... 2276 with a 6AL and ran low 8's in the 1/8th mile. Ran the plugs at .045" gap.

-Aaron

Just out of curiousity, I ran 1/8th mi. sand drags. Where are you running 1/8th for

cars? Low 8's? Maybe you ment 1/4 mi., 8's would be much more respectable.
yeahmag
Low 8's is a high 12 second car in the 1/4 mile (which it was). You can't be serious about 8's in the 1/4... I drove this car everywhere and used it occasionally as an autocross car. Have you ever ridden in a car that fast? I ate Evo's and STI's daily. Mustangs were a joke...
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Sep 28 2007, 07:20 PM) *

Low 8's is a high 12 second car in the 1/4 mile (which it was). You can't be serious about 8's in the 1/4... I drove this car everywhere and used it occasionally as an autocross car. Have you ever ridden in a car that fast? I ate Evo's and STI's daily. Mustangs were a joke...

Googled 1/8th mi, Audi S4, basiclly stock ran a 8.297. Hmmmm low 8's.

My street GTO, ran an 11.57 in the 1/4 mi at the original Irwindale raceway

(1977). And it was by no means the quickest car out that day. Hell there were bugs back then

that were kicking our a$$'s

8's in the 1/4 is not so unusual, in the right car.
Aaron Cox
a few 6.0 second 8th mile 5.0 mustangs at irwindale a few weeks ago....

scary fast
yeahmag
Aaron,

I meant to ask how you know if you are getting "coil saturation"? That "slow" car I had would regularly see 7500 RPM and I never noticed it nosing over or popping or the like...

Just curious...

-Aaron
Aaron Cox
coil would 'reboot' after a while. Hit a certain rpm nearly everytime, and NO SPARK until a second later.....

the lower impedance coil just moved the 'no spark' zone upward into the upper 6000 rpm range.

super low impedance CDI specific coil made it go away.

maybe saturation was the wrong term

From one AA to the other AA LOL
yeahmag
Interesting... Maybe I just got lucky!

-Aaron
rhodyguy
i'm with mr. cox. go with the PRO-E. priced right and works great!

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.