Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hand throttle parts for a /6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I have a local guy looking for parts for his hand throttle and I am not clear on what the system has in it. He said he could fabricate what he needs if he can get a pic, but he would like to buy the parts if he can. He mentioned a bell crank and a housing of sorts. Its hard for me to describe without pics.

Thanks!
Rusty
I recommend Rich Johnson, a914guy@aol.com. I bought some throttle linkage stuff (different, yet the same idea) from him a while back - good stuff.
Dr Evil
He was my first idea, but I dont even know exactly what I am looking for.
Johny Blackstain
Convoluted, is the best way to describe the system dry.gif .

You have a lever , in front of the stick shift, mounted to the floor, operating a cable, that goes back to the tranny, through it, operating a linkage assembly, that operates a rod, that goes back forward to the engine, through the sheet metal, that links to the carbs & holds them a bit open for warm up.
This is why I was saying it's a big deal to have a 914-6 tailshifter, updated to a side shifter @ the ECC.

In theory you could use it as a manual cruise control... not adviseable.

edit- I was wrong, I know it, I've admitted it- stop quoting me! biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
What is the "Kupplunspedal"? Is that what I am looking for?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 28 2007, 06:25 PM) *

You have a lever , in front of the stick shift, mounted to the floor, operating a cable, that goes back to the tranny, through it, operating a linkage assembly, that operates a rod, that goes back forward to the engine, through the sheet metal, that links to the carbs & holds them a bit open for warm up. This is why I was saying it's a big deal to have a 914-6 tailshifter, updated to a side shifter @ the ECC.

Ya, I am not a fan, but the guy wants to make it work. I need some pics.
McMark
Sorry, Johnny, you're way wrong.

The 914/6 pedal cluster has an extra tab on the throttle piece.
Click to view attachment

The lever has a rod that pushes on the tab and holds the throttle open. There is a small piece of metal at the front of the center tunnel, near the pedal cluster, that has a bushing (part #47). This bushing is what keeps the hand-throttle rod from flopping around. Parts #46 would be the tip that bumps into the tab on the pedal cluster.
Click to view attachment

It's actually really simple.
Johny Blackstain
dry.gif
McMark
That's a very nice picture of how the throttle works. NOT the hand throttle.
Dr Evil
Ah! That makes sense. Thanks Mark! Didja get your shirt yet?
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 28 2007, 06:35 PM) *

Click to view attachment

The lever has a rod that pushes on the tab and holds the throttle open. There is a small piece of metal at the front of the center tunnel, near the pedal cluster, that has a bushing (part #47). This bushing is what keeps the hand-throttle rod from flopping around. Parts #46 would be the tip that bumps into the tab on the pedal cluster.
Click to view attachment

Mark-
I may be wrong about how it's hooked up inside the passenger compartment, but there is a whacked linkage, on the tranny, that operates a rod to the carbs. It is not the throttle cable.

This does not exist on my 74 2.0.
Dr Evil
Al, that is the stock linkage set up for all 914/6
Johny Blackstain
Ok, my bad. Still seems whacked to me. Guess I'll have to study how the lever operates the throttle cable more thoroughly.
KaptKaos
Mike,

If your friend fabs up a hand-throttle, I'd be interested to see how he did it.

I am switching to carbs for my /4 and a little idle control at warm-up will be helpful.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
The six hand throttle assembly is TOTALLY different than the 911 and the parts have been discontinued for awhile now. Lever assembly rod bell crank with paddle boot bushing and holder. We have only the brackets in stock.
However we do have a deal for club members in need. For a limited time we will sell a complete PRISTINE hand throttle setup for a 914-6 for only $16,500! That is right only 16500.00! AND for a limited time at no extra charge throw in a 914-6 to the first buyer who calls! Here is a picture of the complete assembly: http://www.autoatlanta.com/carsales/9146/1...ilv/silver.html
Johny Blackstain
Why a Rennshifter won't work w/ carbs, in a six, easily.
So.Cal.914
And I suppose i'll have to pull the hand throttle assembly out myself?

biggrin.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 28 2007, 04:00 PM) *

And I suppose i'll have to pull the hand throttle assembly out myself?

biggrin.gif

The parts is cheap enough for me not to get my hands dirty!!!!!!!!!!!! You can't ask for everything!
Rusty
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 28 2007, 04:56 PM) *

Why a Rennshifter won't work w/ carbs, in a six, easily.

Strike Two, Johny. poke.gif

Mine works just fine in my factory 914-6 with carbs. smile.gif
So.Cal.914
No soup for me. sad.gif
Dr Evil
The guy, Ken, may need the bracket and the bell crank. He is gonna have to fabricate the bell crank, but it is not impossible. I will direct him here as there is too much info to convey. smile.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Rusty @ Sep 28 2007, 07:04 PM) *

Strike Two, Johny. poke.gif

Mine works just fine in my factory 914-6 with carbs. smile.gif

Mind showing me how?! I would really, really love to be wrong on this one. Please!
Rusty
Happy to oblige. biggrin.gif

1. Order a Rennshifter for a 914 with a hand-throttle.
2. It will come with a slot for the throttle lever.
3. When installing, install the hand-throttle below the Rennshifter.

piratenanner.gif

jd74914
Thats a pretty sad shift knob tongue.gif biggrin.gif

(not that I can talk . . . I have a sporto knob laugh.gif)
So.Cal.914
chowtime.gif Hows that crow taste?
Johny Blackstain
Crow tastes much better than $500+. I ordered the wrong Renshifter & have to send it back & get one for a six. Unfortunately, no one ever seems to answer the phone there.

Obviously, I have much to learn regarding the six as opposed to the four. I really don't mind being proven wrong- @ least I learn something.

Thanks for the info Rusty.
iamchappy
I remounted mine to the inside driver tunnel. Mine just pushes a rod against the pedal bracket. Here you can see my red knob and lever...
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 28 2007, 03:25 PM) *

You have a lever , in front of the stick shift, mounted to the floor, operating a cable, that goes back to the tranny, through it, operating a linkage assembly, that operates a rod, that goes back forward to the engine, through the sheet metal, that links to the carbs & holds them a bit open for warm up. This is why I was saying it's a big deal to have a 914-6 tailshifter, updated to a side shifter @ the ECC.

Well, that's NOT TRUE at all. On a 914/6, there's a lever in front of the shift lever, and it pushes a rod, which passes through a bushing (located in a little bracket bolted to the tunnel), that presses against a tab on the throttle bell crank on the pedal cluster. The tab is not present on the /4 bell crank.
On the 911, the lever moves an adjustable stop on the throttle rod, which extends from the throttle bell crank on the pedal cluster to the bell crank on the transmission (with a vibration damping coupler near the end).

The Cap'n
sixnotfour
A heater lever can be made into a hand throttle very easily.
Here is a bunch of pics I took;
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=hand+throttle
watsonrx13
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 28 2007, 06:52 PM) *

The six hand throttle assembly is TOTALLY different than the 911 and the parts have been discontinued for awhile now. Lever assembly rod bell crank with paddle boot bushing and holder. We have only the brackets in stock.
However we do have a deal for club members in need. For a limited time we will sell a complete PRISTINE hand throttle setup for a 914-6 for only $16,500! That is right only 16500.00! AND for a limited time at no extra charge throw in a 914-6 to the first buyer who calls! Here is a picture of the complete assembly: http://www.autoatlanta.com/carsales/9146/1...ilv/silver.html

George, that is the worst html page I've ever clicked on.... You need someone on you web design team to correct that page.... wacko.gif

-- Rob
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 28 2007, 05:55 PM) *

A heater lever can be made into a hand throttle very easily.
Here is a bunch of pics I took;
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=hand+throttle

Isn't that cool, I know what my next little project is. Thanks... smile.gif
T H O M A S
hand trottle and pedal assy happy11.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(T H O M A S @ Sep 28 2007, 06:10 PM) *

hand trottle and pedal assy happy11.gif

hey, are those the parts from my original /6 ???
idea.gif Andy
T H O M A S
yup smile.gif
PeeGreen 914
sad.gif ummm.. So what is the purpose of this? Is it like a choke?
McMark
It's like keeping your foot on the throttle, only without the foot part. wink.gif
PeeGreen 914
I get that, but why is it needed? Do people use it to set the timing or something... That's a scarey thought.. I love holding it at high RPMs with my head in there dry.gif .
Rusty
It was 1970. Carbs without chokes. Helps with cold weather starting.

Also... can be used for other purposes. Never thought about timing... hmmm... idea.gif
PeeGreen 914
I was thinking it may be for a choke, but wasn't sure. Oh great screwy.gif So you're going to run your car all the way up 6000 and set it there? blink.gif I still remember the first time I had to set timing on a 911. I said to the tech training me " you want me to do what poke.gif ?" Still don;t really like doing it, but I guess I don;t have a problem taking it up there when I am driving. aktion035.gif
sww914
Thomas, your pictures are worth more than a thousand words!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 28 2007, 03:41 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 28 2007, 06:35 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Mark-
I may be wrong about how it's hooked up inside the passenger compartment, but there is a whacked linkage, on the tranny, that operates a rod to the carbs. It is not the throttle cable.

This does not exist on my 74 2.0.

I have this part. I wondered where it went. Now I know! I have a six part! Now all I need is the darned car mad.gif
Oops. Pic didn't follow the text. I have the squigly rod thing that attaches to the transmission.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Rob what comes up on yours? Seems to work just fine on my mac???

Da.n! Just never know how something is going to work on a different machine. Sorry.

QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Sep 28 2007, 06:20 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 28 2007, 06:52 PM) *

George, that is the worst html page I've ever clicked on.... You need someone on you web design team to correct that page.... wacko.gif

-- Rob

Eric_Shea
Convoluted, is the best way to describe the system .

WRONG! av-943.gif

Hi Al wavey.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Sep 28 2007, 11:24 PM) *

I was thinking it may be for a choke, but wasn't sure. Oh great screwy.gif So you're going to run your car all the way up 6000 and set it there? blink.gif I still remember the first time I had to set timing on a 911. I said to the tech training me " you want me to do what poke.gif ?" Still don;t really like doing it, but I guess I don;t have a problem taking it up there when I am driving. aktion035.gif

You think timing a 911 is scary? Try a 904 with a /3 engine. 10.5K RPM, no load, as I recall ...........

The Cap'n
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 29 2007, 01:49 PM) *

WRONG! av-943.gif

Hi Al wavey.gif

I know, I know, I know already headbang.gif ! Stop quoting me! May the 914 Gods forgive me & leave me alone! I just bought the thing in January & am still learning! biggrin.gif

Eric_Shea
Convoluted, is the best way to describe the system .

wavey.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 29 2007, 01:57 PM) *

wavey.gif

dry.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 29 2007, 10:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 29 2007, 01:49 PM) *

WRONG! av-943.gif

Hi Al wavey.gif

I know, I know, I know already headbang.gif ! Stop quoting me! May the 914 Gods forgive me & leave me alone! I just bought the thing in January & am still learning! biggrin.gif

We all are Al... No harm. I wouldn't have a clue.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 29 2007, 10:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Sep 28 2007, 11:24 PM) *

You think timing a 911 is scary? Try a 904 with a /3 engine. 10.5K RPM, no load, as I recall ...........

The Cap'n

That sounds a little nuts. I guess I would put up with it if I could have one though biggrin.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 29 2007, 03:26 PM) *

We all are Al... No harm. I wouldn't have a clue.

I know Rob, E just likes fuching w/ me. Bet I know more about "just a silly paint job" than he does... poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.