Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Watching SCCS F prod on speed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
Watching the F prod SCCA racing on speed channel and I'm wondering why the 914s are getting whipped? No offense Chris, congrats on your finish!

I'm ignorant to the world of racing rules and such, but I'm looking at X19s, MGs and even a Lancia spanking the 914s and can't help thinking...what up wit dat?? Educate me and make me feel better about the automotive love of my life getting beat by cars I always though were inferior to ours.
DuckRyder
SCCA is historically un Porsche friendly.

They probably have to weigh 600 pounds more than anything else.
ChrisFoley
SCCA Production rules allow lots of modifications. The cars running at the front are more fully developed to the limit of those rules.
I have more suspension work and engine work planned to help move me closer to the front. The 914 has definite potential in FProd, but no one currently has the complete package.
nine14cats
Hi Chris,

How's the car repairs going? Last pic I saw she was slightly bent....I hope everything is straightening out smile.gif

Bill P.
East coaster
Thanks for the reponse Chris, and thanks for bringing a 914 to my big screen!! It was really cool to see you out there chasing these guys. Good luck with your future mods and getting a teener to the front of the pack.

I has always heard that SCCA was unkind to 914s, I just never heard anyone explain in what way SCCA was biased against the 914.
r_towle
I believe Chris told me that the 914 weight penalty was 2020 lbs with driver...

Compared to a triumph at 1600-1800 lbs...

The traditional MG's, Triumphs etc are the ones that the rules are designed for, and they are designed against the 914 because when they were originally raced the 914 came from nowhere to win all the regionals with type 4's and the nationals with six's......so there was a rule change that year and they have been in the dog house ever since...

And, Porsche had such a fight over it that they left SCCA and joined up with IMSA and never looked back..

Rich
Brad Roberts
<< Has the complete package to win or place in the top 3. This car could do it. But the owner is screwed now that they moved the date that they actually hold the race on. His business is semi dormant/slow during the entire year and goes 24/7 at the end of Sept/beginning of Oct.

We reguarly beat every car you see at the front (Huffaker is based here in NorCal) so we see him and his cars at EVERY SCCA event..and we beat them at every event we attend.

I just have to get my guy to bite the bullet and fly into the race after I arrive with the car/truck/trailer.

Just did full roller bearing suspension and sent the Koni's out for revalving. The car will be ready this year.

B
rdracrdave
I watched the race from the grandstands at the end of the backstraight, and was very disapointed to see three of the five 914's in the race drop out in the first 4 laps.
One dropped out on the pace lap , (sounded like clutch or trans problems). One pulled off in the madness section on lap 2. The other one did'nt come around on lap 4.
914's have done OK in other runoffs . 3-4 yrs ago a 914 finished 4th . Racer Chris did well and was pushing hard at the end of the race.
I do believe a 914 has the potential to finish up front with some development.

Dave
Brad Roberts
As far as I know.. we are one of the only 914's in the USA with Data Acq installed and being used. We actually dont need more development work.. what we need is for the event to be held a little closer to home. It is almost impossible for us to even test their during the normal race season.. so when we do show up.. its a scramble. It's a 48 hour drive from our doorstep. Not much fun.. and all for a trophy.

I will be pushing two FP guy's that are capable of winning the show to race this year.

Something nobody has said anything about... COOLING. The air cooled engine gets heat soaked.. it slowly loses power over the duration of the event. Water cooled cars maintain a certain level (which is why Porsche hasnt raced a air cooled car in 7 years).

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.