Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I re-pack a CV joint?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
krazykonrad
Do I re-pack it like a wheel bearing or just squirt some grease in there or what? 051103-stupid4.gif
Many thanks!
Konrad 72/4
Spoke
Your FLAPS will have packets of CV grease, one for each CV. I cleaned my CVs with degreaser and remove all old grease and dirt. Then spray with carb cleaner to remove remaining residue.

Press grease into CV and work into the joint. Pack inside and outside until all grease is used up.

If you're just cleaning and regreasing, don't turn the CV too much or a bearing or 2 may pop out. They're not fun to get back in.

Spoke
LowGT
Just in case it does pop apart on you, check out this classic thread. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=31536
BMartin914
Clean the joint up really well (i.e. all old grease gone), and re-pack (I do it in my hand kind of like a wheel bearing) with new MOLY grease. Don't use anything but MOLY.

The little packs that Spoke is referring are MOLY grease packets. Most FLAPS sell the packets, if not tubes too.
BK911
The coolest way I ever saw was with one of those vacuum pack thingies.

Put the grease on top of the wheel bearing, put it in a vacuum bag, turn on the machine, and viola, all done. No muss no fuss.

It was on that 4 wheeler show with the little hottie.
krazykonrad
QUOTE(BK911 @ Sep 29 2007, 11:42 AM) *

Put the grease on top of the wheel bearing, put it in a vacuum bag, turn on the machine, and viola, all done. No muss no fuss.

Somehow, I don't think that filling up my home vacuum with CV lube will go down smooth with the wife. If there was some kit or something to do this , it would be awesome!

Thanks for all the input! As I noticed one of my CV joints is missing the gasket, it needs to be done sooner rather than later.
Konrad
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.