Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: strange "Bumble Bee" on eBay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
screwy.gif

eBay #120166840839

Rusty
Hi!

It's VIN 474915662. The sequence number seems a little high, but Jeff's page lists one with number 474921331.

If it's truly a "bubble bee" (sic), it's far from original.
Johny Blackstain
I have my doubts it ever was a bumblebee- sail vinyl? Need a COA to prove it, or a Kardex that says "two tone paint".
Gustl
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 29 2007, 02:30 PM) *
I have my doubts it ever was a bumblebee- sail vinyl?

I'd say sail vinyl is one of the minor things ... colour, chrome bumpers, slant nose, dual webbers, ...

bye1.gif Gustl
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 29 2007, 06:30 AM) *

I have my doubts it ever was a bumblebee- sail vinyl? Need a COA to prove it, or a Kardex that says "two tone paint".

agree.gif Maybe he ment that he squashed a bumble bee on the windshield once. huh.gif
3d914
Well he does say that "This is a limited edition "Bubble Bee" chassis car", so the chassis may have been one originally. Keep in mind that years ago many would not have appreciated the LE aspect as much as we do today.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Gustl @ Sep 29 2007, 10:39 AM) *

I'd say sail vinyl is one of the minor things ... colour, chrome bumpers, slant nose, dual webbers, ...

bye1.gif Gustl

I disagree, sail vinyl on an LE is a biggie. There are 2 Creamsicles on Jeffs' site that have it & as far as I know no Bumblebees. Sail trim is also chrome, not flat black as it should be.

Color is not surprising, lots were repainted. The LE color combos take some getting used to biggrin.gif . No tits on those "chrome" bumpers either. Be nice to look in the rear trunk & see if the swaybar plates are there. Carbs are not unusual either-common fix for a malfunctioning D-jet system or a desire for more power.

All LE's are slant nosed... in La La Land rolleyes.gif .
purple
Call me crazy, but I like it. Those shaved fenders make it look less 'porsche' more 'detomaso'

I really like those front fenders, omg.

and he says 'bubble bee'

So it's a submariner insect?
davep
We have it listed on the LE Registry. Just a hint.
Definitely much modified.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(davep @ Sep 29 2007, 11:14 AM) *

Wow! Somebody went to a lot of trouble to change her. Shaving the fenders is not an easy job. Installing sail vinyl on a car that did not come w/ it & changing all the respective black trim to chrome is not difficult, but labor intensive. Wonder what happened to the original black sail trim?
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 29 2007, 08:38 AM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Sep 29 2007, 11:14 AM) *

Wow! Somebody went to a lot of trouble to change her. Shaving the fenders is not an easy job. Installing sail vinyl on a car that did not come w/ it & changing all the respective black trim to chrome is not difficult, but labor intensive. Wonder what happened to the original black sail trim?

He probably installed it on the Pantera he has modified to look like a Edsel. huh.gif
JeffBowlsby
This looks like a pretty nice 914 actually, surely the new buyer will appreciate it, and it is still a great little car.

While it will always be an LE, its lost value to any 914 LE collector because of its modifications. It would be costly to restore it back. This car is a good example of what happens when taking something unique and making it into something more ordinary.

No disrespect to the seller of this car intended, but if we could just resist the temptation and leave these cars alone and just appreciate them for what they are, the better off we would all be.
orthobiz
Plus another quote of the new Excellence article in his ad, "good" at more than 10 grand...

So if the hint is it's on the registry, could be one of us selling, right?

Paul
ConeDodger
Hey!!! mad.gif I thought I owned the most unoriginal Bumblebee wacko.gif
Eric_Shea
Somebody went to a lot of trouble to change her.

Change it back... it's just a paintjob poke.gif
davep
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Sep 29 2007, 07:57 AM) *

So if the hint is it's on the registry, could be one of us selling, right?

David Mueller is his member name....
skline
It looks just like mine except for the wheels and the sail panels. biggrin.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Rusty @ Sep 29 2007, 05:35 AM) *

If it's truly a "bubble bee" (sic), it's far from original.

Well, the front trunk is still black. confused24.gif
rjames
No disrespect to the seller of this car intended, but if we could just resist the temptation and leave these cars alone and just appreciate them for what they are, the better off we would all be.

How would it make me better off? confused24.gif Unless an owner of an nice LE decides to give their car to me. happy11.gif
alpha434
Wow. They really fuched up that rare piece of history.

Better update the history books to reflect that.
John
Check the spelling. It says "Bubble Bee".

Lou W
QUOTE(John @ Sep 29 2007, 08:05 PM) *

Check the spelling. It says "Bubble Bee".

laugh.gif Oh, now it makes sense. smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.