Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ghost In The Machine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
I have a plaque from the original owner in the center console of my 1974 1.8. When he died, he passed the car on to his son and TedK bought it and sold it to me. (Thanks Ted!!!)

I'm probably never doing a concours but I don't ever plan on removing the plaque. I just think it's bad luck, like changing the color of the car.

Spoooooky! Hope my car's not haunted...

IPB Image
IPB Image

Paul
jimkelly
i think i got ghost in the mechanic

every time i fix one thing - i break two things : )

got plaque - you could always swap out that center tray for a non haunted one : )
So.Cal.914
Drink spirits...but don't mess with them.
Rand
Me, I would have thought... Who is Bill Farmer? Then promptly ripped that tag out without a second thought. And when my car has "ghosts" I rip the sheet off and get to the bottom of it. Now my car and I get along fine. smile.gif

Ghosts only haunt you when you believe in them. wink.gif

LOL.

That is a beautiful car Paul. Maybe the ghost of Bill will be with you...... Hmmm.... This explains why you've never lost an AX race... idea.gif
orthobiz
So many cars have unknown pasts, members here constantly trying to find out info about their cars. My car was so well preserved and obviously cared for and loved throughout the years. The plaque is like forensic evidence of the origin of the vehicle and somehow it's a tiny, secret tribute to a 914 enthusiast who's no longer with us.

Hey, if we didn't have our individual quirks, we wouldn't be into 914's, would we? While I am the guardian of the little orange car, the plaque stays!

Paul
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

My ghosts were lurking in the same spot, Center tray,pocket under side of the lid
I bought m 914 in 2000

1. Copy of the Texas title ,belonging to the owner in 1996.

2. The orginal bill from the Taxas company the did a $10,000.00 restoration

included in with that ( paid) bill was a list of every part used and replaced

in that restoration. That lead to ,a phone call to said Restoration company

and i was able to aquire a full set of pictures of the restoration. I guess my

ghosts were really good ones. Ya think????????

Dave slap.gif
orthobiz
Good story, Dave! Someday I plan on calling Dr. Farmer's son and linking him to some pics of the car. I had Brad Mayeur restore the engine compartment as it was in dire need of paint over surface rust and acid damage.

Paul
Eric_Shea
The ghost that haunts my restoration project is either very busy or very lazy huh.gif
So.Cal.914
I think mine must be one of those 'Water Ghost's', and you can see evidence of his

(or her) presence on the floorboards, in the rear trunk, at the jackpoints and of

course 'The Hell Hole' yikes.gif (hmmm, good title for a book). huh.gif

http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/.../WateGhos.shtml
Pat Garvey
Sometimes, when I look in the rearview mirror, I see myself as the ghost. It's 1974 - I'm in an orange & black plaid, wide lapel suit & driving with platform shoes. No music to go with it because I won't drill holes! Oh yeah, pipe in my mouth too. My ghost was a "with it" boy of the 70's! Long hair, mid-20's with a new Porsche - yeah baby. My ghost is me!

Come to think of it, platforms weren't the best driving shoes.....but they made me 6'4".
Pat
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 30 2007, 07:59 PM) *

Sometimes, when I look in the rearview mirror, I see myself as the ghost. It's 1974 - I'm in an orange & black plaid, wide lapel suit & driving with platform shoes. No music to go with it because I won't drill holes! Oh yeah, pipe in my mouth too. My ghost was a "with it" boy of the 70's! Long hair, mid-20's with a new Porsche - yeah baby. My ghost is me!

Come to think of it, platforms weren't the best driving shoes.....but they made me 6'4".
Pat

Woah...That is scary Pat.

biggrin.gif
bigkensteele
I believe the plaque belongs there. My car was originally owned by an airforce pilot (not sure what he flew), and there is an old cracking fighter pilot sticker on the back glass. It looks to be official USAF, and it has the silouette of an f14, I believe. As long as I own the car, that sticker will remain. That being said, I did remove the parking stickers that he put on the big fat '75 bumpers. I also removed the 3 years worth of acorns stored in the airbox by some very clever squirrel. I don't think that the squirrel ever had title to the car, so I didn't feel too bad about that.

Ken
purple
If it's an f-14, then he's not a pilot, he's an aviator...and he's navy

my dad, 23 years in the air force, called the f-14 'the lead sled'

yeah, they dont have rivalry in the armed forces.

I'd leave the plaque. That's just an awesome part of history, it's like finding a little history nugget

All my history nuggets were red and scaly, in the center tunnel..
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 30 2007, 09:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 30 2007, 07:59 PM) *

Pat

Woah...That is scary Pat.

Not as scary as this - the ghost of 4722918725! I dressed better for this photo - just won my first Parade concours ('74). The babe stays with the car too!

Jep, those are platforms. Hurt like hell!
av-943.gif

Whoever winds up with this 914 is doomed to look just like this!
Pat

biggrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.