Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Expansion bolt in transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bartlett 914
I rebuilt a transmission recently. I installed new operating sleeve and synchros for first and second. I am installing the transmission and I am torquing the expansion bolt for the final drive (last minute thing). Normally when in neutral if you rotate the output shaft the other one will rotate the opposite way. After torquing the expansion bolt, when I rotate one the other goes the same direction. I cannot (by hand) prevent it from turning the same direction. Tranny is in neutral. I torqued it to 300 inch pounds. I tried 250 and I have the same results. Anyone know what could be the issue? Haynes states 25 to 29 ft pounds. My wrench (an old beam style) is inch pounds. I think I converted correctly.
Cap'n Krusty
350 inch pounds should get it. You will probably have to use 2 CV bolts and a big screwdriver or prybar as a lever to stop the flange from turning. Personally, I zap 'em with a small impact, but that's just me .................. The Cap'n
Bartlett 914
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I am not over torquing it so that's clear, The problem is that when torqued properly the output shafts to not operate correctly. I am not sure what has happened inside the transmission. I did not work on the final drive only the stack. I replaced the output shaft seals but that is it for the final drive. Anyone have any ideas what I may have missed or messed up inside the transmission?
Cap'n Krusty
You have the washers in there? Is it stuck in 2 gears? The Cap'n
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 29 2007, 02:27 PM) *

Transmission will shift into all gears. I just removed the shift console to verify that the forks slots are aligned up and they are. Washers under the expansion bolt are in place.

I just discovered that I can torque the passenger side and all is good. As soon as I torque the drivers side (under the starter) more than 30 inch pounds I have trouble. I removed the expansion bolt and pulled the output shaft. Something inside slipped. The "whatever" the expansion bolt threads into had moved out of position. It took some fiddling around to get it back into position. Still same problem.

I matched the gaskets to the thickness that was in the transmission before. I am fairly certain the transmission did not have this issue before now. But could the pinion drive gear preload (as adjusted by the gasket thickness) set too high cause this?
Bartlett 914
Is it possible I have a limited slip differential and not know it? How can you tell if it is a limited slip differential? Isn't the problem I am describing normal in a transmission with limited slip differential?

Edit:
My Serial number is HA ****.
I read Serial numbers HB*** are limited slips.
Probably not a limited
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Sep 29 2007, 03:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 29 2007, 02:27 PM) *

Transmission will shift into all gears. I just removed the shift console to verify that the forks slots are aligned up and they are. Washers under the expansion bolt are in place.

I just discovered that I can torque the passenger side and all is good. As soon as I torque the drivers side (under the starter) more than 30 inch pounds I have trouble. I removed the expansion bolt and pulled the output shaft. Something inside slipped. The "whatever" the expansion bolt threads into had moved out of position. It took some fiddling around to get it back into position. Still same problem.

I matched the gaskets to the thickness that was in the transmission before. I am fairly certain the transmission did not have this issue before now. But could the pinion drive gear preload (as adjusted by the gasket thickness) set too high cause this?

No. The Cap'n
Bartlett 914
I pulled the Differential. It is toast. Binds when rotating by hand. Can these be rebuilt?
Bartlett 914
Problem solved.

The expansion bolt threads into a splined nut. The splines prevent the "nut" from turning while tightening the bolt. In my case this was tightened with the splines not aligned up. They were pretty much buggered up. I cleaned them up (the metal is mild steel) and I was able to assemble it and it now works properly. I am a little surprised this doesn't happen more often. This part is easily knocked out of position.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.