Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: My drive around Europe
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hcdmueller
After storing my stuff in Germany for the last couple years I finally got some time off from work to do some real travelling. I convinced my parents to fly over and my wife and I took them siteseeing for a couple weeks. We started in Kaiserslautern and took a couple day trips to places like Trier, Bernkastel, Heidelberg, and Stuttgart. Then the long round trip to Prague, Salzburg, and Neuschwanstein with some stops in between. Too bad there aren't 4 seats in the 914. It would have been better for me.

The first pic is on the A6 towards Tier. The best part is the view of the huge bridges the Germans like to build.

hcdmueller
The second and third pics are views of Bernkastel on the Mosel river.
hcdmueller
Numbers 4 and 5 are of Heidelberg. Inside the castle there is a huge wooden barrel that was used for wine. It is 2 stories tall and holds 250,000 liters. I couldn't get a good picture of it in the dark room.
hcdmueller
Next is Schloss Solitude in Stuttgart. It is sitting on a huge hill overlooking the city and is a popular site for weddings.
hcdmueller
For the long trip we went to Prague first. My wife is Czech so we had a good guide around the city. I found an old Skoda while we were walking around. The Czechs like to use old cars and drive people around for siteseeing. I saw a bunch of old cars from around the globe while we were there just for siteseeing.
hcdmueller
After Prague we drove to Salzburg. After driving across Austria, I have to say it is one of the nicest countries I have been to. We didn't stay in Salzburg. It turns out is was much cheaper to stay in Germany near Berchtesgaden. The first pic is the view from our hotel in Germany and the second is the Salzburg castle. The third pic is of the Koenigsee in Germany. It is a huge lake in the mountains with a couple towns along the shore that you can only get to by boat.
hcdmueller
And last but not least are the Neuschwanstein and Koenigschlosser castles. Everybody knows the first one, but the second one is right next to the first and still pretty nice. The last picture is the best picture I got of the Austrian Alps.
TINCAN914
Awesome pictures!!
Thanks for sharing...
TimT
just WOW.. very nice pics
1970 Neun vierzehn
Nice pics, beautiful countyside, great roads. thanks for sharing your experience. clap56.gif

BTW, I'd think those photos would make Andy homesick for der Vaterland.

Paul
davep
Very impressive!
Lou W
Wow, very nice pictures. I'm sure its even nicer in person. Thanks for sharing.
jaminM3
One day I have to get over to Europe, everyone I know has been there....

sad2.gif
stephenaki
Cool, now I have an idea of what I get to go see! I haven't been to the Schloss in Stuttgart yet. Did you make it to the Porsche museum while you were in Stuttgart? Small but nice and free!
Gustl
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Sep 30 2007, 12:27 AM) *
The last picture is the best picture I got of the Austrian Alps.

IPB Image

this looks pretty familiar to me ... I guess that's less that an hour from my place
would have been nice to meet beerchug.gif

cool tour driving.gif

bye1.gif Gustl
hcdmueller
Next time I go on a driving tour it will be in the 914. I had my parents with me so I had to take the wife's Honda Civic. It does pretty good but I don't like driving it. Gustl, Next time I am in Austria I will let you know.
Gustl
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Sep 30 2007, 10:57 AM) *
Gustl, Next time I am in Austria I will let you know.

sounds great IPB Image

although, I just realized that Kaiserslautern is about 6 hrs from my place blink.gif

beerchug.gif Gustl
So.Cal.914
Very Cool, thanks for the tour.

Katmanken
Thanks for the pics. I visited the exact same list of towns when I was a military brat. Throw in a pic of Nurenburg, Lake Garmisch, snf the Olympic ski jump, and that would round out the list...

Ken
greybeard50
The background in this picture shows vinyards on the steep slopes above the river. It would take a real mountaineer to tend these vines...
PRS914-6
Great pics. You went to some great places. I have toured Europe by motorcycle numerous times and can't wait to go again. Once you drive over there you will hate it here....

For those considering Europe, here are a few more pics to wet your whistle and if others have photos of good spots, it would be great to post them for future reference

An overhead view of those Neuschwanstein and Koenigschlosser castles......while para-sailiing (highly recommended for those not afraid of heights) The castles are between my legs.
Click to view attachment

Murren, Switzerland (personal favorite) with the Eiger in the background and top of a pass
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The Dolomites in northern Italy
Click to view attachment
hcdmueller
I would love to go around Europe on my Aprilia but my wife doesn't like to be left behind and the bike only has no passenger seat. The 914 is the next best thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.