Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: POS Front FG Bumper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
I don't know how many hours I have working on this front end but I am starting to get tired of it.
1st - most of the gel coat was busted.
2nd - there were no mounts supplied.
3rd - the sides underneath were too short and didn't fit up to the fenders. One by 1 1/4" the other by 2 1/4". (I don't know who put the PO fenders on but my fenders are centered to the wheel wells) Both had to be cut off and extended with new FG.
4th - one of the flared parts was home made and had to be thrown out and a new one was made.
5th - on the top face, 1/2" was trimmed from one entire side to the middle so that the bumper sits on an angle.
6th - after 4 hours of mounting and remounting and fitting, the top face has a wave in it and in the middle it sticks up 1/2" above the hood but is even at the ends.
7th - to pull it down and bondo it in place in the middle, the gel coat cracked and has to be repaired. I can see lots of bondo going into this piece of art!!!

In looking at others similar I see fitting issues with them as well.
Is this common or are there FG front ends that actually bolt on???

This picture is after I extended the under side back 2/14"
tracks914
nuther

This is going to be fun to try to fix.
Dr Evil
Same problem here. They come that way, too sad.gif mad.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Seems kinda silly to call those fiberglass things "bumpers", seeing as how they do very little in the way of providing ANY protection from impact. The Cap'n
tracks914
By the time I'm done it will have enough body filler in it that it will provide some front impact protection.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 29 2007, 05:25 PM) *

Seems kinda silly to call those fiberglass things "bumpers", seeing as how they do very little in the way of providing ANY protection from impact. The Cap'n

And the stock metal ones do?

--DD
Brando
75-76... Boat Anchors.
Scott S
Spend the time on it. The PO of my car did a great job making my bumper fit - then he screwed it up by blending it into the body!!!

There seams to be the same two problems with all of the 916 bumper installs. The distance from the fender/hood seem to the edge needs to be kept the same and the bumper needs to follow the line of the hood. I will post pictures.

I see so many installs where this distance gets smaller toward the center of the hood, causing the whole thing to rotate up. looks really weird/bad
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.