Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whats going on ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BarberDave

smilie_pokal.gif

I decide to rebuilt all the gauges in my dash, at that time i also replace all lights

with LED's. Really like them except for both directoinal indicator lights,

they are on all the time. They still blink correctly,they are just on all the time.

Even with the small drain that supose to have on the battery, it eventually goes

dead. Mech. says " because there LED's that is the why it has to be" that just

doesen't seem right to me . Is there a RIGHT way on Wrong way to in stall LED's.

Or should I just go back to the stock blubs in that location???????

Inquiring minds what to know!

Dave slap.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Someone has to have a Ans.

BUMP icon_bump.gif

Dave slap.gif
jk76.914
I may be able to help figure this out. First of all, what do you mean that they blink correctly, but they're on all the time? Also, did you just replace the dash indicators with LEDs, or the front and rear outside directional bulbs as well?

This is a tricky circuit. It was designed to give you a cockpit indication of when you have a directional bulb failure. I backdated my '76 to an earlier style tach with both left and right indicator, and I had to figure it out. '76 only had one indicator that flashed for either left or right. Here's the original posting-

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...;hl=directional

Jim
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Jim: I just replaced the bulbs inside the car.
I ment when i pull the derectional lever down for a left turn the directonal
arrow blinks correctly, as it does when i push it up for a right turn.

All other times both turn arrows are on, light switch in off position.

I looked at your other post , I have a real problem with the electric systems

don't understand shit. So I think I will replace the LED's on the directional arrows

with the OE bulbs. Both types of bulbs should work ,mixed togeather in the same

gauge. Right????

Thanks for the effort

Dave slap.gif
arvcube
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Sep 30 2007, 10:28 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

All other times both turn arrows are on, light switch in off position.

could it have anything to do with your hazard lights circuit? just a thought...
Spoke
Not sure I understand how they can be on all the time then blink. Do you mean they are dim then blink brightly? Or they are dim all the time then blink full on and full off?

Replacing the bulbs with LEDs shouldn't cause the battery to drain. Whether a bulb or LED, both would drain the battery, the bulb being a heavier load should drain the battery faster than the LED. When the car is off and the LED's are still on, are they on brightly or dimly? Also what voltage do you measure across the LED's with the car off?

Just out of curiosity, do the LED's have built in resistors? I assume so since the voltage of an LED is around 2V. Also what is the rated current draw of the LED's at 12V?

For my 74, I backdated to a 72 tach with L and R turn signals. I used normal bulbs and wired them directly across the front turn signals. The front (and rear) turn signal wires are routed directly to the emergency switch right by the dash and are easily accessible with the dash out.

Maybe the 914 turn signal circuit was designed to let the driver know if a bulb burned out. This would be a good thing for an auto manufacturer. I, myself, am not a car manufacturer and can take any liberty that I deem works. So my rewire of the indicator lights works perfectly for me.

Spoke
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.