Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Paging ALL MSD gurus!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dinomium
Ok, so this is on mt RX7 racer, 13b street port. The coil for the leading rotor keeps eating itself!

It looks like there is a short from the + lead to the high output on the coil. Melted thru!!

Can anyone hazard a guess? This is a stripped out car with basic wiring...

thanks, guys
effutuo101
Ummm, its a Mazda? to much smoke.gif
Sorry Dino, had to. I am at the Chruch of F1 tonight and am ready for Japan. Lets see if Kimi and Massa can pull a rabbit out of their had no that MB doesn't have their pit strategies. We will see, but man is the rookie Lewis quick!
I would check the coil for a short. your wires shouldn't be eating themselves. replace the wire and make sure you seal it. It might have been rubbing on something down stream and that was the weak point. Are you useing the correct gague wire?
dinomium
Very funny, Chris.

Yes we are using the right gauge wire and it is not the wires but the COILS eating themselves! Shorting from + to the center. Bizzaro!

So we ripped out the whole system and just finished redoing it all. Pre grid at 835 for the other driver, I might be a little late...
biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
to add and clarify a bit...dino is using the oil filled version of coils. msd blaster (went thru 2 while i was there). can't remember the other one but it appeard to be starting to leak a bit. what is actually happening is the spark is BURNING thru the coil wire tower at the bottom towards the neg/ground wire terminal. no burn trace down from the top of the tower to the bottom. right out the side at the bottom towards the the -terminal. the coils are configured at an acute downward angle. coil towers arepointed down at about 95* from the towers being in a vert position. weird. dual 6AL boxes. the box grounds were reconfigured and that didn't seem to help. dino's cousin was pretty stressed over the whol situation. pretty exspensive day with a coil going south after every 20 minute session.

k

k
effutuo101
That is wierd.
LS6/914
Dino, have you measured the resistance of the leading and trailing coil wires? I have encountered this problem on a 13B Bridgeport / Weber I installed in a Lotus Super 7. Are the MSD units grounded to the rotor case seperate? This post may be a little late hope it helps. Larry........I do have spare 13B parts headed for the recycler beer3.gif
dinomium
Somebody else at the track pointed to grounding issues and I am thinking that makes the most sense. I was still amazed by the current leakage.
It looked like when Darth Vader got the zap!
wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.